Concept Vertico- Small foot print, mini tower case

Which GPU layout configuration would you prefer in a SFF PC case?

• Traditional (no riser)

Votes: 16 84.2%
  • Sandwich (with riser)

Votes: 3 15.8%

• Total voters

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
With more and more thicc cards coming out, this poses enormous challenges for SFF creators. Going to start a project to tackle this.

Project Name : Obelisk

Features
- layout - traditional, PCIe 4.0 friendly
- 3 slot cards support (primary)
- custom cooling (Aquanaut) friendly
- 240mm/280m radiator support
- RGB built-in - modular (tentative)

Design ver 0.1
Drafting stage - your input welcome, what shape and size do you want. Let me know ?
- CPU height clearance: 165mm tower air cooler support
- GPU: 3 slot width (~70mm), 320mm length support
- layout: traditional, PCIe 4.0 support
- orientation: vertical, for small foot print
- 2.5" SSD support

Your feedback and suggestions welcome, before any of the specs are locked down.

Last edited:

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
If GPUs with pass through air flow become common place, I'd actually suggest going the "console" type layout with GPU intake on the same side as the CPU (PCIE bracket up) to keep from mixing intake and exhaust. Also, that way if you go with a normal axial cooler (no pass through), it can vent away from the CPU. Although, this could be aided with some ducting down the line as well.

70mm CPU cooler support permits the usual BS3/NH-L12 support with some room to spare, but you could also get crafty with your aquanaut and a 120mm rad if you choose a shorter GPU.

Reactions: Nouvolo

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
At this rate, I have concerns with riser cards compatibility (+availability) with PCIE gen4

I didn't even think about that. Gen4 riser availability might be the biggest bottleneck in 3xxx series adoption among the SFF community. Hopefully, now that the new series of cards is officially announced, Li-heat and company step up to address the new market segment.

Could be reason alone to go with a standard layout in the short term if you can turn out a design fast enough, but you definitely end up competing against staples like the M1 and new mainstream alternatives like the N200.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
I didn't even think about that. Gen4 riser availability might be the biggest bottleneck in 3xxx series adoption among the SFF community. Hopefully, now that the new series of cards is officially announced, Li-heat and company step up to address the new market segment.

Could be reason alone to go with a standard layout in the short term if you can turn out a design fast enough, but you definitely end up competing against staples like the M1 and new mainstream alternatives like the N200.
Yes, I think business-wise, it is safer to design not relying on riser cables... No riser cables/PCIe 4 support = low demand

Last edited:
Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Maybe the Gen4 issue isn't as big as we thought. Here's a quote from Nvidia on their AMA regarding the new series of cards

"
Finally, when queried about the possibility of a PCI Express (PCIe) 3.0 platform being worse than PCIe 4.0 for outright performance with the new cards (which are PCIe 4.0-capable), Nvidia said:

System performance is impacted by many factors, and the impact varies between applications. The impact is typically less than a few percent going from a x16 PCIe 4.0 to x16 PCIe 3.0. CPU selection often has a larger impact on performance. We look forward to new platforms that can fully take advantage of Gen4 capabilities for potential performance increases.
"

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Maybe the Gen4 issue isn't as big as we thought. Here's a quote from Nvidia on their AMA regarding the new series of cards

"
Finally, when queried about the possibility of a PCI Express (PCIe) 3.0 platform being worse than PCIe 4.0 for outright performance with the new cards (which are PCIe 4.0-capable), Nvidia said:

"
Yes, but ppl just like to have the "latest" spec compatibility. Just extra effort to report the "above" for every user that send email to me to ask...Sometimes life sucks...

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 12, 2017
To be fair hardware unboxed did a video showing differences between gen. 3 & 4 even on a 5700xt. It's something that will certainly be tested and we won't have to wait too much longer to see those tests at this point. Most of the concern is about the 3090, but I'm more curious about the 3070 and 3080. We'll see soon enough.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
To be fair hardware unboxed did a video showing differences between gen. 3 & 4 even on a 5700xt. It's something that will certainly be tested and we won't have to wait too much longer to see those tests at this point. Most of the concern is about the 3090, but I'm more curious about the 3070 and 3080. We'll see soon enough.
There are numerous reports on gen3 being sufficient for graphics. I think most enthusiasts will agree on that.

But I don't want to mention the extra man hour to handle users with problems in X570 and Steck because they haven't updated their bios or not set it to gen3, or some would not like to do that because they feel that would be money wasted in downgrading the settings....and then want compensation etc etc. Yes, there are many of these "users"... Offering gen3 cables in the era of gen4 prepare myself for customer service nightmare...

THUMPer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 5, 2020
Traditional design with enough room below the thicc graphics card to allow the install of 2-3 120mm fans. 25mm tall.

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
Sep 2020 Project Update: Design Draft ver 0.1

• vertical + traditional layout - small footprint, no GPU sagging, PCIe gen 4 proof, cables connect at the bottom
  • 3 slot / 320mm (L) GPU support
  • AIO / custom loop support, with pump / reservoir mount
  • Up to 165mm tower air cooler support
  • 2x 2.5" ssd support
6.jpg 1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Alur

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Reactions: Nouvolo

Nouvolo

Creator
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Sep 8, 2018
www.nouvolo.com
In order to help me have a better idea on which path to pursue in development, would appreciate if you could cast your vote on (polls is at the TOP of the page):

Which GPU layout configuration would you prefer in an SFF PC case? (traditional or sandwich)

Here are some of the considerations between the two types
  • Traditional (no riser)
    • larger in size (200m, width)
    • no riser (lower cost, stability direct connection to slot)
    • PCIe gen 4 happy
    • supports full air tower cooler (165mm, D15 / Dark Rock 4)
  • Sandwich (with riser)
    • smaller in size (165mm, width)
    • extra cost (riser cable)
    • PCIe gen 4 cable compatibility
    • supports only low profile air cooler (75mm, NH-L12S)
Please cast your vote and help me choose the best options for you🗳️

Last edited:

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
I generally prefer riser because it's more space-efficient but it will be very hard to compete against the Meshlicious and the upcoming Dan B4. A vertical case without riser could fill a nice niche that doesn't have too many options atm.

Timeless

Caliper Novice
Jul 1, 2021
Support for an internal pump reservoir combo would be amazing (maybe a distro plate like the flow dice case) , also 120 fans at the bottom/top would be great for thermals.

Tonkatsu

Average Stuffer
Jul 18, 2020
I'm lovin' it. 👍

I love small footprint vertical cases, but I don't like when the cables - and expecially not the power cord - are hanging in the air from the top.
In short I like I/O and power cables near the bottom, as close as possible close to the floor/desk's surface.

Elaman

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
The appeal of the riser is the flexibility it gives to have different layouts, it's hard to give that up.
Sandwich layout is attractive also because it allows to line up motherboard and graphics card and cool the whole thing really efficiently with only one or two fans.