Prototype Project 404 - Sub 10 liter Vertical Tower

lehman

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 9, 2019
Let me introduce you to Project 404 that Andy Lauder at Product Design Factory is building for me. He took a layout design I had and basic design and turned it into what you see below.

I wanted a tower case that supported a triple fan radiator. So that is what this design is based around.

It is 404mm x 130mm x 180mm. (H x W x D)

External panels are 2mm thick aluminum that will be black anodized and will have a Black Walnut Front inlay. The panels are held in place with magnets.

Its all pretty tight in there but it fits. Though I might make it 5 mm wider to just get a little bit more breathing room. Depends on a pump block that Andy is working with me on. Will show that design after we get it finalized.

Lehman

Last edited:

lehman

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 9, 2019
Looking for a little feedback.

Vents on the left are for the radiator. On the right is exhaust. Should they be the same or keep them like they are with the 2 different layouts.

The front wood strip. Should the wood be narrower and have more metal? Stay the way it is? Or even more wood?

Just looking for some opinions.

Thanks

Lehman

Poblopuablo

King of Cable Management
Jan 14, 2018

Vents on the left are for the radiator. On the right is exhaust. Should they be the same or keep them like they are with the 2 different layouts.

The front wood strip. Should the wood be narrower and have more metal? Stay the way it is? Or even more wood?

Thanks

Lehman
To keep the price down I think the same layout for both sides would be better, since QC and time differences in machining between 2 different layouts could incur costliness.

I would think a thinner strip of wood would be nice for a more accent oriented asthetic. Also would the performance increase with a ventilated front?

Also please post a pic/diagram of part layout. :)

ToutNoir

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2018

Thanks

Lehman

As said above it should be more expensive to have 2 different layouts for vents, but honestly they look really good as you drawn them.
The front wood strip is nice as it is (off center gives is clean look). It could be wider and keep the same sex appeal.

I'm also curious to see your layout. Especially regarding the positioning of the I/O MB plate and how much cable length is left outside the case. Please tell us more :)

lehman

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 9, 2019
I am not sure if it could be produced for consumers as is. Right now it has a cut down SFX 750 power supply in it. I removed the stock fan and cut the metal. @WiSK was the inspiration for doing the cut down power supply. This is my second build that I have done this. You just use airflow coming through the rad to cool the PSU.

The motherboard I/O is pointed down. It is raised 65 mm from the bottom. I am going to have to remove panels to plug anything new in. Not something I have to worry about for the most part as my monitor has a usb hub built in.

The radiator vents are right around 60% open area. There is more exhaust vent area on the GPU side and then the little I added to the back to help out even more. No plans to add vents to the front as I was going for a clean look. Same reason there is no vents on the top. There is 4mm of room between the exit vents and the GPU for airflow.

A few images to show layout. Small changes still happening.

Bottom

Rear

Reactions: Allhopeforhumanity

Allhopeforhumanity

Master of Cramming
May 1, 2017
Looks great, and reminiscent of Sligers original design for the SV590 before he flipped the layout to the PSU on the bottom. I prefer the way you have it, but there was some concern that it would be overly top heavy and would require a wider stabilizing base. I'm excited to see how everything will come together.

lehman

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 9, 2019
Thanks, when the Sliger SV590 first was shown I almost decided to not complete this project. It had a lot of my goals already there and would have saved me a ton of money.

I am not concerned about it being top heavy. The psu is in the center and is not even the heaviest part.

PSU 22.65 oz
GPU 34.65 oz
MB 14.9 oz
Eisbear LT 10.55 oz -- Stand in PUMP CPU block since I dont know my blocks weight yet
Rad/fans 42.55 oz

The internal frames are also made of 1.5mm steel. So we have decent amount of weight all spread out.

Lehman

Tazpr

Master of Cramming
Aug 7, 2018
Looks great! I also had a case made by Andy so really happy to see more people making use of his services as he's a great bloke who delivers a really high quality product!

lehman

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jan 9, 2019
There hopefully wont be a vibration issue. I am using noctura fans with the rubber pads. The steel mounting plate is 1.5mm thich and the aluminum panels are 2mm thick.

alauder

Trash Compacter
May 10, 2019
www.pcdesignfoundry.com
Some nice parts arrived form the laser cutters today.

Sanded the side covers to remove the burn marks from the laser.

Rear part added blind holes for the concealed standoffs and recesses for the fold line machined in.

Install the PEM concealed standoffs.

Fold the rear part.

I need to do some filing to get the side covers to fit perfectly.

PC Design Foundry

Last edited:

zzmadd

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 18, 2017
Nice project. Congratulations!
Form what I understand this is an exercise not something you plan to build for selling. Am I correct?