Production M2427 - Cable Management Freedom

BonfireOfDreams

Average Stuffer
Mar 14, 2019
If something like this gets standardized in consumer PC's someday, I can see a lot more people being comfortable sizing their own custom cables. I personally fear putting just a single cable in the wrong spot on the 24 pin. Cant imagine frying a thousand dollars in parts from that kind of mistake.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
If something like this gets standardized in consumer PC's someday, I can see a lot more people being comfortable sizing their own custom cables. I personally fear putting just a single cable in the wrong spot on the 24 pin. Cant imagine frying a thousand dollars in parts from that kind of mistake.

I think the bigger issue is manufacturers using nonstandard pinouts on the psu. They vary even with in the same line.

You really have to do your research when pinning these things.

Tossy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2018
I'm sorry, but I don't seem to understand what's new about this constellation. Isn't it "just" a picoPSU fed by the 12V rails of a normal PSU? Or am I missing something?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I'm sorry, but I don't seem to understand what's new about this constellation. Isn't it "just" a picoPSU fed by the 12V rails of a normal PSU? Or am I missing something?

Yes. You are correct.

That is why it is so special. It works with a normal psu. There is no picopsu on the market that does this.

psamathe

Efficiency Noob
Sep 4, 2018

Feeding a picoPSU with 12V from your normal PSU won't properly deal with powering the normal PSU on from the power button connected to the motherboard. This signal goes to the PicoPSU which doesn't have any power since your PSU is off until the motherboard tells it to power on.

You can force your PSU to always be on (I did this in my latest build with a picoPSU) but you have to be weary of accidentally leaving it like that without the computer actually running since it can damage the PSU.

This unit takes care of the signal logic between the motherboard and the normal PSU so that the normal PSU and this unit works seamlessly in tandem.

Tossy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2018
Thanks for the explanation. So it's main goal is to get rid of the 24 cables. Is every sfx-PSU able to deliver al the current needed via one connection? Or do you need one with a single 12V rail?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thanks for the explanation. So it's main goal is to get rid of the 24 cables. Is every sfx-PSU able to deliver al the current needed via one connection? Or do you need one with a single 12V rail?

I'm not sure what you mean by that. You still need to hook up your cpu power and gpu power, which is how the computer gets most of the power.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
If you hook up the same power button to both this PCB and the motherboard, you would be able to trigger both at the same time ?

In the case of my Supermicro embedded board, I could hook up the PSU to this PCB with only 3 wires (5vsb, PS_ON and GND) then the 8-Pin EPS to the motherboard ?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
If you hook up the same power button to both this PCB and the motherboard, you would be able to trigger both at the same time ?

In the case of my Supermicro embedded board, I could hook up the PSU to this PCB with only 3 wires (5vsb, PS_ON and GND) then the 8-Pin EPS to the motherboard ?

Embedded boards need the power to always be there, usually. Does the embedded motherboard have a 5VSB and PS_on out? Those two are required to work with an Atx power supply.

The product you linked is more for using an ATX PSU as an alternative way of lowering 12V stuff, like mining rigs, 3d printers, laser systems, etc.

Tossy

Average Stuffer
May 3, 2018
I'm not sure what you mean by that. You still need to hook up your cpu power and gpu power, which is how the computer gets most of the power.

That kind of answers my question. So connecting the picoPSU with only two cables from the atx/sfx-PSU won't overload the atx/sfx-PSU on these two pins.

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Embedded boards need the power to always be there, usually. Does the embedded motherboard have a 5VSB and PS_on out? Those two are required to work with an Atx power supply.

The product you linked is more for using an ATX PSU as an alternative way of lowering 12V stuff, like mining rigs, 3d printers, laser systems, etc.

Yes, I have a 24-Pin connector which is not mandatory.
Your solution is great though, do not mind my preivous suggestion.
Any ETA ?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Officially known as M2427. Pronounced twenty four "to" seven.

Expected list price per unit is about $40, supporting Corsair SF series. Available with short GPU and CPU cables as a kit for $50.

Specifications:
Supports ATX PSU seamless.
Integrates up to 30 wires as only 7 wires! (SF 10+18 connector and 6 pin connector)
Includes 2X SATA power connectors

180mm length, perfect for NCase, Dancase, and Ghost S1

Short GPU/CPU cable kit adds: 2X GPU 6+2 250mm. 1X CPU 8 pin 300mm. All black wires.

Expected release date: OCTOBER 2019.