Stalled [New Video Assembly] Densium 4 & 4+ - Tiny cases with real hardwood frontpanel!

Irish Os1r1s

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 28, 2019
i know the new design and materials are better but I just fail to see if the temps are going to be much better. I figure you can just slap a fan on top which is probably going to have more impact than front fans (correct me if I am wrong) but more than anything I love that you stay true to your vision and keep it as you want. Keep up the good job, I will make sure to stay posted on 4+ updates:)

I want to use this post to give an update on my pc temps because someone had a similar specs to mine:

swapped stock fan (intake) to noctua (exhaust)

temps are generally better (perhaps 5 to 10?) but the noise, oh boy you can actually feel the impact there.

It is very hard to compare before to now but considering my room was like 25 to 30 degrees and I was hitting 95 stock fan to 85 on a 30 to 35 room while running cinebench on all cores I would say it is quite worth the upgrade

granted I undervolted the cpu while on the first test I didn’t I still think it is quite an improvement

gpu temps are decent since I also made changes there, sits at 65-70 in a 30 degrees room while playing poe

cpu goes up to 70-75 while playing Csgo with fps capped to 400

specs were 5600 on z39 noctua swap and Evga 3060ti
This is what I was looking for. So exhaust setup for the z39 seems the way to go. Nice.

Also turning off pbo on 5600x is supposed to drop temps considerably. Does anyone know if the drawbacks are substantial for gaming if I do this.

Last question. I'm a bit of a noob undervolting a GPU and not really comfortable doing it. Is there a simpler way of getting 3060ti temps down a little? Is temp limit a decent way of doing it in msi afterburner? I don't mind reduced performance if it isn't too drastic. I just want to have my system as quiet as I can get it.

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
It’

The discount code did not work as intended, and I’m aware of it. I’ll have to make it work one way or another, but it seems shopify does not support the ‘logic’ I’m looking for, I’ll make it work by the end of the day.
The internet at work have been very unreliable and I’m not able to fix the discount code at this moment, will try again tomorrow…

Reactions: ligsnf

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
So in regards to the discount code, the easiest workaround were to make additional discount codes.

Use discount code D4V2 for 1 accessory item, E.G: D4V2 + 1 riser cable
Use discount code D4V22 for 2 accessory items, E.G: D4V2 + 1 riser + Z39
Use discount code D4V23 for 3 accessory items...

Reactions: ligsnf and Arboreal

oasis1991

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2021
So in regards to the discount code, the easiest workaround were to make additional discount codes.

i sent your the message regarding the order
please check the inbox

Gucky

Caliper Novice
May 15, 2022
Your Ryzen 5600, I would reckon that PBO is on? And if so, what are your PPT/TDC/EDC settings? If given with motherboard limits, Ryzen will run all the way with maximum temperatures, especially since we are only able to use a low profile cooler, those temperatures would seem normal.

I have similar ambient temperatures as you, and I have tested the Ryzen 5600 with both a Noctua NH-L9a and a Thermalright AXP90-x36 in the Densium and similar sized sandwich cases, and temperatures from a stock PPT 5600 doesn’t go above 80C, whereas both coolers are keeping the 5600 at around 90C while PBO is on and PPT is at around 103W.

At least to me, it would seem that the Z39 cooler isn’t up to par, if your 5600 is at stock.
Ryzen is a bit...complicated and dumb.
Fist of all the standard PPT is TDPx1,35. For the 5600 that would be around 88W. And the Temp Limit is usually 100°C.
The Problem with PPT is that Ryzen uses a high Singlecore Boost that makes the CPU very hot. For my 5950X it is 5,05Ghz@1.5V. That high boost is still within the 88W. Even my 280mm AIO can cool the single Core enough to keep it cool. When Benchmarking a single Core, my 5950X get upto 80-95°C.
On the other Hand, when i Benchmark all cores it only gets to 65°C, but also with 142W. So its cooler while drawing more power? Thats because the single hot core has not much surface to dissipate its heat. With Allcore the heats is spread across the whole DIEs.
The 5600 has the same behavior. The only CPU that does not boost that high is the 5800X3D. Thats because AMD puts Limits on the Boost for the thick 3DCache.
As an End-User you CAN'T change the Boost. Only offsetting it by a little bit with the PBO Curveoptimizer.
You CAN set Limits tho. Temp-Limits, PPT-Limits (I don't recommend), or disabling the Boost and set manuel clocks. Try it out. ^^
There is also the Windows Powerprofile, which CAN limit the Boost as well, but for me it came with instabilities.
My 5950X runs on manuel clock of 4,2Ghz@1.1V without boost. While i lose upto 15% Single Core performance, Allcore stays the same. But i gained 30-50% better Temps and less Powercomsumption on average. With a 280mm AIO...

My Densium4+ has a 3700X, but i still need to install everything and set the CPU. I'm currently waiting on a new Asus Dual Mini 3060Ti i got below MSRP.

Reactions: Kundahli

RedSawn

Caliper Novice
Feb 18, 2022
Timeline is still a little unclear for when the D4+V2 will be available, but I’m working on having them made just shortly after the D4V2. Reality is that I can’t afford to make it ATM, and It’s heavily dependant on how fast the D4V2 sells.

I’m contemplating lowering the production volume of the D4, at the expense of higher unit costs, but less wait time for customers interested in the D4+. Too early to decide yet though, will have to see what develops with the sale of the D4. Think I’ll order a prototype for the D4+, will recieve it when i get home in ~4 weeks, then I can put it up for pre-sale too.
Do whatever's best for you mate. If need be I'll jump on the D4 v2 if things look dicey for future iterations. The MSI Aero ITX GPU seems to be an institution at this point with how many kinds there have been in the same dimensions

ligsnf

Efficiency Noob
Jun 7, 2022

Order is in, tysm!

ligsnf

Efficiency Noob
Jun 7, 2022
i know the new design and materials are better but I just fail to see if the temps are going to be much better. I figure you can just slap a fan on top which is probably going to have more impact than front fans (correct me if I am wrong) but more than anything I love that you stay true to your vision and keep it as you want. Keep up the good job, I will make sure to stay posted on 4+ updates:)

I want to use this post to give an update on my pc temps because someone had a similar specs to mine:

temps are generally better (perhaps 5 to 10?) but the noise, oh boy you can actually feel the impact there.

It is very hard to compare before to now but considering my room was like 25 to 30 degrees and I was hitting 95 stock fan to 85 on a 30 to 35 room while running cinebench on all cores I would say it is quite worth the upgrade

granted I undervolted the cpu while on the first test I didn’t I still think it is quite an improvement

gpu temps are decent since I also made changes there, sits at 65-70 in a 30 degrees room while playing poe

cpu goes up to 70-75 while playing Csgo with fps capped to 400

specs were 5600 on z39 noctua swap and Evga 3060ti
which model noctua fan did you swap to?

oasis1991

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2021
tbh from what i read people seem to confuse about z39

we need separate into two points

1. STOCK Z39 FAN IS TRASH
louder and perform worse than a9x14 in any situation (both intake and exhuast)

2. in densium 4, INTAKE IS ALWAYS BETTER
because you can draw the fresh air from outside through the fin
with exhuast, you drawing the air from inside the case

so best config is

Buying A9x14 Chromax HS and SET AS INTAKE
with noctua stick facing the mobo

vlad1966

Average Stuffer
Sep 21, 2017
Hmmmm . . . I just tried & the discount code still isn't working:

D4V2 discount code isn’t valid for the items in your cart

I also tried D4V22 by adding the PSU & 4.0 Riser & that didn't work either.

Mackan

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 2, 2016
tbh from what i read people seem to confuse about z39

we need separate into two points

1. STOCK Z39 FAN IS TRASH
louder and perform worse than a9x14 in any situation (both intake and exhuast)

2. in densium 4, INTAKE IS ALWAYS BETTER
because you can draw the fresh air from outside through the fin
with exhuast, you drawing the air from inside the case

so best config is

Buying A9x14 Chromax HS and SET AS INTAKE
with noctua stick facing the mobo

I would imagine you get the best out of the Z39 by switching its fan to the Noctua fan, and then use exhaust. Might get a little hotter compared to intake, but intake would probably lead to maximum turbulence noise with the fan being pressed directly against the side panel. At least that was the theory, since I haven't tested this myself.

Irish Os1r1s

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 28, 2019

Above poster is saying he got better temps with exhaust. Also the below video claims to get better temps using the Z39 cooler with exhaust fan. I know generally a cooler like this tends to do better with intake, but Z39 seems to be an exception according to the info I've found online. 🤷‍♂️

oasis1991

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2021
I would imagine you get the best out of the Z39 by switching its fan to the Noctua fan, and then use exhaust. Might get a little hotter compared to intake, but intake would probably lead to maximum turbulence noise with the fan being pressed directly against the side panel. At least that was the theory, since I haven't tested this myself.

the point of using z39 because

the fan on l9 sitting to close to the side panel causing terrible turbulence

and z39 can get fresh air from the side panel

z39 intake also has turbulence
but way less than l9 sitting close to the side panel

believe me, i use z39 as exhuast and intake before (in the sff case not open air)

intake is 15c better

this was done by CB RR23 30 mins test

Reactions: ligsnf

oasis1991

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2021
Ideal fan oreintation

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
Hmmmm . . . I just tried & the discount code still isn't working:

D4V2 discount code isn’t valid for the items in your cart

I also tried D4V22 by adding the PSU & 4.0 Riser & that didn't work either.
Oh god, spotted a mistake in the discount logic... Should be working now, my bad.

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
@Irish Os1r1s @oasis1991 since you guys are discussing the fans, here are some off record news for you.

I spoke to the supplier about restocking the other day, but with 3 major changes:
Fluid dynamic bearing fan, completely smooth finish on underside, and PROPER packaging this time.

As you know, this supplier is a little unpredictable - So we'll have to see what their response will be, but we could possibly have them in as little as 4 weeks, but also 3 months.

Nothing is official yet

Densium.net

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Oct 28, 2021
I would love to try out the Z39 vs my l9i on the i5 10400f.
But like always struggling a bit to change a running system :).
After some days now i still keep smiling when i see this tiny piece of art.
Always nice to hear from happy customers :))