Power Supply Power supply for Dynamo 360 + Dynamo mini. what is valid? (two examples)

sl1pkn07

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Feb 12, 2018
Hi

i'm new in the SFF world, and have little question about the needed power supply for the Dynamo 360+Dynamo mini

is possible use a RC power supply like this with the propper connection?

the output is 13,8 to 18v,

if not, i found this other (from alibaba):

the pic is only representative, i have talk with the supplier, and this came with GX16-4p output connector, but the problem is the shipping cost, is a little bit expensive

my project

Dell Optiplex 790 SFF chasis (with mod)
Asus Strix B350-i mini-itx
AMD Ryzen 2 when launch
Nvidia Titan Black (reference heatsink) (keppler)
Dyno 360 + Dyno mini as DC/DC converter
External power supply

any other alternative?

greetings

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
While based on voltage the Hobby King looks appropriate, I would be worried about things like ripple being out of spec which could lead to hardware damage. The AC-DC brick you posted would likely be more appropriate. Other options include the Lulzbot PSU which is a Meanwell 500W in a custom enclosure or alternatively you can get the Eurocom 780W. You can also use the Dynamo with two bricks of indentical voltage. The most obvious one would be to plug an HDPlex 160W AC-DC into the Dynamo Mini and the HDPlex 300W AC-DC into the Dynamo 360. This would give you a total for 460W on two separate units. Alternatively a 240W Dell brick to the Dynamo Mini and 330W Dell brick to the Dynamo 360 would be another valid combo provided output voltage on both units is identical.

sl1pkn07

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Feb 12, 2018
Thanks for the response

mmm two bricks... this pc needs to be portable. i think this is not a option

the eurocom is absolutely discarded because is a LOLexpensive!!!

about the RC charger, i found one of the suppliers hobbyking. in the spect say "Output Voltage Ripple < 300mV", then seems is not valid :( (is less than 120, rigth?)

if the alibaba manufactuer don't change the shipping method (from express/priority to SAL/airmail), i think i go to look a Meanwell type of powersupply with a custom enclosure

the question. what voltage? 24v?

greetings

EDIT. i'm not sure why, but can't edit the first post

the alibaba brick is a 19v unit 500W 26.3A (in the pic say 24v)

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Input voltage on the Dynamo system is 16-24V. Do you have an absolute target for wattage? Perhaps if I knew what your planned consumption is after the system is configured (undervolt/overclock/etc.) I would be able to make a better suggestion.

That being said, I personally think that the Titan Black is going to be a no-go not because of its rated wattage (250W) but its achievable peak under gaming loads (425W). Unfortunately back in the Maxwell days power spiking was nowhere near as well controlled as it is on Pascal. I personally wouldn't chance running this thing on less than 550W of rated power.

Also worth considering is that the Titan Black, if I recall correctly, was roughly on par performance-wise with a GTX 780ti. In the modern product stack, the 780ti performs about on par with the 1050ti I believe. With the upcoming Ampere laugh, it might just be time to get a new card? Seriously I think you could run an equivalently powerful system off of a Dynamo Mini and 200W brick.

Last edited:

sl1pkn07

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Feb 12, 2018
Zero Overclock y Zero undervolt. all in stock configs

i'm not sure if merge in parallel two meanwell is a good choice (if fail one can break all components due a overvoltage)

the titan black is because i have one getting dust (is a reballed unit)

greetings

EDIT: what you opinion about Meanwell HRP-600-24? have 150mv ripple at 24v. i found one for 120€ in a local store (in amazon is a lot expensive)

Last edited:

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
@sl1pkn07 Using a Titan Black for gaming is like using a semi tractor as a commuter car. It'll get you there, but the bulk and operating cost is likely not worth it.
A 1050ti might not be a complete replacement for a Titan Black (1060 arguably is more comparable, but the relative price premium over the 1050ti these days...is a bit steep), but it'll run a heck of a lot less power-hungry and make your portable PC easier to engineer.

Unfortunately, miniaturization and better engineering is making your old hotness obsolete.

sl1pkn07

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Feb 12, 2018
i have a 1070ti (FE edition) (used as TB replacement) in my main rig

is more ok?

sl1pkn07

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Feb 12, 2018
TB is Keppler, and the 1060 is pascal (and have different PCB)

but i don't want buy more new hardware. only the mobo, the cpu and the dynamos (and of course, the power supply). i have the rest

QuantumBraced

Master of Cramming
Mar 9, 2017
I just looked up the Lulzbot 500W. First time I'm hearing of it. Decently priced. Would it work with the Dynamo? Is the plug compatible? Does the Dynamo support 24V? Is the brick actively cooled? I appreciate any input on this PSU.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
The Lulzbot will work but you'll need to get a custom Weibo 4 pin to 4 pin molex adapter cable done in order to use it. If you're looking to buy a Lulzbot I have one I don't need anymore that I'd be willing to move on (got a Eurocom 780 instead).