Power Supply Power Brick Recommendations for HDPlex

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Hey all,

Been combing through power bricks (mostly from HP and Dell) to use with my new HDPlex 160. Only going to ever be using a 65w CPU and 75-120w GPU (likely just the 1050ti) + 1-2 SSD. Needless to say, my power requirements are low and so I am looking for something in the 200-250W range for a brick. I always get the same couple of suggestions for the HP and Dell 230w bricks which are great - but I was wondering:

What about anything from Delta or Flextornics. I know Dell ships them with some of their Alienware laptops so they should be of descent quality. Anyone have experience with this?

The reason why some of these are attractive to me is because they have a slim design (like this - just for reference, would not buy it here because of cost), which would make them a little more 'flat-pack-able' when I need to move things around, and seem to offer a rated 240w. I also like the little ring light on the connector when it is powered - although I could see that could get annoying if it doesn't turn off when the system is down and on always when it is plugged in.

Appreciate any thoughts or suggestions on this. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I don't see anything stopping you from using one, provided the connector fits. It does look like a standard 7.4mm connector to me.

Main issue is that at $140 it isn't cheap. I made another thread about the desktop type meanwell ones I found. You can get a 220W one for a decent price that you don't have to worry that it being cheap.

Alternatively, I've used my-adaptor.com if you don't mind waiting. It's a chinese store that stocks AC-Adapters. For example, here's a 24V 8A which should support a 1050ti + locked i5. Since these adapters are made in china anyways, I don't expect quality issues but a fake/subpar unit might slip in every once in a while. You get what you pay for :)

Your power solution is going to end up in the $80-100 at least no matter what you do. The 12V builds you pay more for the AC-Adapter, and less for the Plug-in DC Board, and the HDPLEX 160 you pay more for the Plug-in DC Board, and less on the AC-Adapter.

bledha

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 22, 2017
Main issue is that at $140 it isn't cheap.

I completely agree, but I want to specify that the one at the link is not where I would buy the adapter - I can find it significantly cheaper elsewhere online (even eBay). That was just to show how it looked - of course it is all much more expensive on Dell's website.

For example, here's a 24V 8A which should support a 1050ti + locked i5

Still, this is like the affordable ones I can find online (actually it is a little more expensive than some I can find on eBay) with the same form factor. Just curious about these slim models and their brands as I have not tried them with the HDPlex.

Thanks for the links!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I completely agree, but I want to specify that the one at the link is not where I would buy the adapter - I can find it significantly cheaper elsewhere online (even eBay). That was just to show how it looked - of course it is all much more expensive on Dell's website.

Still, this is like the affordable ones I can find online (actually it is a little more expensive than some I can find on eBay) with the same form factor. Just curious about these slim models and their brands as I have not tried them with the HDPlex.

Thanks for the links!

Most of the OEM type stuff is made by a few manufacturers, notably FSP and Delta. The issue with sourcing cheaper stuff is the knock-offs that you may encounter. Just because it claims to be "Dell" doesn't mean it is.

Slim, brick-type, doesn't matter too much if it's made by a reputable manufacturer. You may the first to use it on our forum if you do decide to get it though.