Post DAN A4 Build Best Practices

gamecrusader

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 27, 2020
Hello all,

late in 2020 I built my first PC in 15+ years! I went right into a SFF build with the DAN A4.1 and couldn't be happier that I did!

As I've been running it for a few months now, I don't have any real complaints. It does get a little loud when playing something intense like Control, but in most other instances it is respectively quiet. I would say that even under load it appears to run (feel) cool.

This all said, as I’ve been out of the PC builders game for some time and I am not familiar with a lot of things like under volting/clocking the CPU/GPU. I have two questions for the community:
  1. Are there any best practices or general guidance around CPU or GPU under volting/clocking with a DAN A4 build that I should be considering?
  2. Are there any testing apps I should run to give me real data on any changes I should be making to my system?
For reference, I followed the $1600 build that Optimum Tech did on YouTube. Here is the full specs:
CPU: Intel i5-10600K
CPU Cooler: Alpenfohn Black Ridge Cooler
CPU Fan: NF-A9x14 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap positioned as intake [Replaced Alpenfohn stock fan]
Motherboard: ASRock Z490M-ITX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVM.e
Video Card: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge OC
PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum
Case Fan: NF-A9x14 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap installed under PSU and set as exhaust

I am grateful there is a community like this! It’s fun to be back in the PC building game!

Cheers!

Reactions: conmanique

nightshift

Airflow Optimizer
Jul 23, 2020
I don't know about undervolting that much, especially Intel cpu's, but I know I set my Ryzen 3300x to 1,25v (instead of the unusually high stock 1.45v) and it was deemed stable in Cinebench with the L9a+ 3d printed fan duct from Dan's website. Undervolting my gpu is something I should still do to optimize temps better I suppose despite not really playing gpu intensive games. Still set some slight modification up, but I'm sure I could do better if I devote more time and attention to the topic.

It is a good idea to set up the fan curves of your gpu in MSI Afterburner and the cpu + case fans in the BIOS. Btw, you can take your A9x14 fan from under the psu and replace it with a thicker NF-A9 too. Then use your A9x14 under the motherboard (connect the two with a dual fan splitter). These are general stuff I can recommend.

Also, this might be unnecessary, but I screwed the riser cable down and bent that 180° outside the case as sudden as possible, then routed it between the plastic sheet and the metal plate on the gpu side. Since my mobo does not have a full backplate, I wanted to eliminate the riser touching the backside of the mobo completely. I have a good couple of future plans of grandeur for further improvements, but maybe it's better to only mention them after execution.

Last edited:

Shaytanya

Trash Compacter
May 5, 2020
Hello all,

late in 2020 I built my first PC in 15+ years! I went right into a SFF build with the DAN A4.1 and couldn't be happier that I did!

As I've been running it for a few months now, I don't have any real complaints. It does get a little loud when playing something intense like Control, but in most other instances it is respectively quiet. I would say that even under load it appears to run (feel) cool.

This all said, as I’ve been out of the PC builders game for some time and I am not familiar with a lot of things like under volting/clocking the CPU/GPU. I have two questions for the community:
  1. Are there any best practices or general guidance around CPU or GPU under volting/clocking with a DAN A4 build that I should be considering?
  2. Are there any testing apps I should run to give me real data on any changes I should be making to my system?
For reference, I followed the $1600 build that Optimum Tech did on YouTube. Here is the full specs:
CPU: Intel i5-10600K
CPU Cooler: Alpenfohn Black Ridge Cooler
CPU Fan: NF-A9x14 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap positioned as intake [Replaced Alpenfohn stock fan]
Motherboard: ASRock Z490M-ITX
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB 3200MHz
SSD: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB NVM.e
Video Card: ZOTAC NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge OC
PSU: Corsair SF600 Platinum
Case Fan: NF-A9x14 HS-PWM chromax.black.swap installed under PSU and set as exhaust

I am grateful there is a community like this! It’s fun to be back in the PC building game!

Cheers!
Agree with the above - MSI Aferburner is what I used to do the bulk of the GPU undervolt - which lowered GPU temps approx by 9 degrees. I have also removed the plastic sheet to help with airflow but I note that I am using the 3080FE with the silly fans.
If you have any circulation issues behing the GPU, one option is to rotate the PSU 180 degrees, which does help a lot. Sadly, I have custom cables (I use the AIO) and I couldnt bring myself to switch mine. Instead I have installed a couple of the Noctua 40mm 5000RPM fans around the case to help with airflow - both GPU side and over the M.2 drives.

gamecrusader

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Sep 27, 2020
Thank you both for your replies.

Funny you should mention to put an additional exhaust fan under the motherboard. I initially tried that but it wouldn't fit. The fan is like 1mm to tall, so I opted for just one fan under the PSU = \ I suppose I could have used a NF-A9.
See pic: Motherboard/Fan

I am not sure flipping the PSU would be good with my model GPU; it would be exhausting right into the back of it. I could see how that might be useful in a Founder Edition card.

I was going back and forth on removing the plastic shielding. I ended up leaving it and I do like the idea of running the riser cable between the plastic and motherboard plate (but I'm not sure I want to tear it all apart in order to do this).

As for the CPU and GPU under volting, is there any tools/apps I should be running/testing to see what would be tolerable? Would Cinebench give me any of this feedback?

Likewise for the fan curve. I can install MSI Afterburner but is there a way to know what to set these values at? I'm assuming it's sort of a trial and error approach?

Dan A4 Pictures

Shaytanya

Trash Compacter
May 5, 2020
I followed this video

obviously its for the FE, but it would give you a starting point. I ran the benchmarks with Heaven Benchmark 4.0. Although I note, I got to a stable undervolt on Heaven, but sometimes crashed on Watch Dogs Legion - I editied the undervolt very minorly on MSI and then it has worked like a dream - including on CP 2077 at full spec.