Power Supply Possibly a really stupid question about laptop PSU...

malcky

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 7, 2017
Hi folks,

Im in the process of building a small computer and have today received the external power supply I intend to use, the HP 230w HSTNN-DA12, the question I have is....how many people use external PSU on there computers 24/7?

I have had laptops for many years but have only ever used the external PSU for the purpose of charging the battery, so a few hours at a time at most....never really thought of these things being ok to run all day, every day.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I reckon more than 50% of the people with laptops that use that brick power the laptop with the brick 24/7.

You should be absolutely fine using the power brick 24/7 unless there is something wrong with it.

malcky

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 7, 2017
Hi again folks,

I just checked that my new HP brick works and thankfully it does, tested it on a older HP laptop that still going strong.....I was curious as to how much power draw the laptop took, so plugged it into a kilowatt meter and tested the original laptop brick which was drawing over 80w (that came with a 90w brick), and then connected the laptop using the new HP 230w brick and was surprised to see that with that brick the power draw was only 60w....both times the laptop was doing the same thing, simply booted up and let sit at desktop for a few minutes......the battery was obviously being charged at the same time, so later on I'm going to see what difference there is once the battery is fully charged.

One thing I noticed......and only because my head happened to be right next to the 230w brick at the time, was there is a slight noise coming from the brick.....I take it that is normal? I checked the original laptop brick and that makes a noise too, albeit a slightly different tone/pitch of noise.