PicoPSU 150-XT Overhang

Donut

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 15, 2019
Hi everyone. I'm building a system that includes a PicoPSU 150-XT, and I'm concerned that components on the PSU PCB (specifically the gray squares on the left and right) will run into the adjacent RAM stick.

Does anyone have a measurement of how much the components (on the RAM side) of the PicoPSU 150-XT extend outside the bounds of the 24 pin connector area?

Normally I don't think this would be an issue, but the motherboard I'm interested in is the H370 Stinger, which positions the 24 pin power connector almost right next to a RAM socket (there's maybe 1mm or less space between them). I'm using RAM without a heatsink, so the area next to the RAM, above the RAM socket, is also usable space for the PSU components.

Edit: Here's a picture of the board so you can see how close the RAM socket and 24 pin power connector are: https://images.evga.com/products/gallery/111-CS-E371-KR_XL_5.jpg

Last edited:

Donut

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 15, 2019
@Thehack Thanks for the response! So, the components only extend about 1mm beyond the bounds of the 24 pin connector?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com

I don't have one with me on hand, but if you look closely it is bigger than atx connector just a bit.

If it makes contact, just put some electrical tape over it.

Donut

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 15, 2019
Thanks for the picture! It seems to overhang the connector by just a tiny bit. You're right, it should just fit.

By the way, is that an old build of yours? The cooler and motherboard look like the ones you used in the pictures for the Pure. That case is really neat -- it has a "wooden chest" look to it.

Donut

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 15, 2019
My PicoPSU 150-XT came in today. I measured the overhang with a ruler: it's about 2.5 mm.

Does anyone here happen to know the dimensions of a DDR4 288-pin socket? Or could you direct me to a source? I'd like to know how thick the plastic is next to the center slot (where the RAM stick slides in), so I can get a better idea of how well the 150-XT will fit in the H370 Stinger.

Just eye-balling it, the plastic looks to be about the same thickness as the center slot. DDR4 RAM is 1.2 mm thick (according to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR4_SDRAM), so the center slot should be about 1.2 thick as well. The plastic next to the center slot might be about 1.2 mm too. Can anyone verify?

Edited to clarify some things.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
My PicoPSU 150-XT came in today. I measured the overhang with a ruler: it's about 2.5 mm.

Does anyone here happen to know the dimensions of a DDR4 288-pin socket? Or could you direct me to a source? I'd like to know how thick the plastic is next to the center slot (where the RAM stick slides in), so I can get a better idea of how well the 150-XT will fit in the H370 Stinger.

Just eye-balling it, the plastic looks to be about the same thickness as the center slot. DDR4 RAM is 1.2 mm thick (according to Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DDR4_SDRAM), so the center slot should be about 1.2 thick as well. The plastic next to the center slot might be about 1.2 mm too. Can anyone verify?

Edited to clarify some things.

It also depends on the size of the chips on the pcb as well.

My eyeball meter says you'd have about 2mm of space. It also okay to press against the ram sticks themselves.

It is a build I hand made a long time ago. It was a present to my wife. It is running a 2200G right now with a Noctua fan to complete the color theme. It's pretty cute.

Donut

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 15, 2019
It also depends on the size of the chips on the pcb as well.

My eyeball meter says you'd have about 2mm of space. It also okay to press against the ram sticks themselves.

Thanks again for helping out!

2 mm sounds about right, including that small gap between the RAM socket and 24 pin connector.

I'm guessing having the PSU press against the RAM will just flex the RAM a bit? Any thoughts on how much flex is too much? If its 2 mm of space, and my measurement of the overhang was correct, that's about .5 mm of flex. Let's say, hypothetically, that the space is actually just 1.5 mm - would 1 mm of flex on the RAM be too much?

You mentioned putting some electric tape over the gray parts of the PSU - is this to protect the PSU or the RAM? The tape would add a tiny bit of thickness too.

It is a build I hand made a long time ago. It was a present to my wife. It is running a 2200G right now with a Noctua fan to complete the color theme. It's pretty cute.

What a nice gift! I bet the Noctua goes great with the wood.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Thanks again for helping out!

2 mm sounds about right, including that small gap between the RAM socket and 24 pin connector.

I'm guessing having the PSU press against the RAM will just flex the RAM a bit? Any thoughts on how much flex is too much? If its 2 mm of space, and my measurement of the overhang was correct, that's about .5 mm of flex. Let's say, hypothetically, that the space is actually just 1.5 mm - would 1 mm of flex on the RAM be too much?

You mentioned putting some electric tape over the gray parts of the PSU - is this to protect the PSU or the RAM? The tape would add a tiny bit of thickness too.

What a nice gift! I bet the Noctua goes great with the wood.

You should be able to get away with a 1-2mm flex. Only thing that matters is that the contact on the ram stick is solid with the slot.

The electrical tape prevents it from shorting anything. Not sure if the cover of the inductor is conductive or not. Just better safe than sorry.

Donut

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 15, 2019
You should be able to get away with a 1-2mm flex. Only thing that matters is that the contact on the ram stick is solid with the slot.

The electrical tape prevents it from shorting anything. Not sure if the cover of the inductor is conductive or not. Just better safe than sorry.

Sounds like I should be in good shape then. If the PSU makes contact, I'll be sure to tape over it. I'll go ahead and get this motherboard, and I'll post an update on the fit later.

Thanks again!

DwarfLord

Trash Compacter
Oct 13, 2018

I would be careful with the"flex". One of my current build (ASRock A75M-ITX + A8-3820 + picoPSU-120-WI-25V, in a M350 case) had this kind of problem, and it killed the first ram slot on the motherboard after several years of use :/

Donut

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 15, 2019
I would be careful with the"flex". One of my current build (ASRock A75M-ITX + A8-3820 + picoPSU-120-WI-25V, in a M350 case) had this kind of problem, and it killed the first ram slot on the motherboard after several years of use :/

Hm, that's no good. Any idea how much your RAM needed to "flex" (or, a guess on how much pressure the PSU was putting on the RAM)?

Looking at the board you mentioned, there appears to be a decent amount of space between the 24 pin connector and the RAM socket. Were you using RAM that covered the whole socket, or extended beyond the socket? If not, then I can expect to have a worse time than you, because there's less space in the H370 Stinger.

DwarfLord

Trash Compacter
Oct 13, 2018
Hm, that's no good. Any idea how much your RAM needed to "flex" (or, a guess on how much pressure the PSU was putting on the RAM)?

Looking at the board you mentioned, there appears to be a decent amount of space between the 24 pin connector and the RAM socket. Were you using RAM that covered the whole socket, or extended beyond the socket? If not, then I can expect to have a worse time than you, because there's less space in the H370 Stinger.

Not a lot, 1mm I would say (or not a lot more than that, that's for sure).
Note that I was in a different case than you, because the pico 120-WI (which accept a 19v input) is SIGNIFICANTLY wider than the 150xt because it has two pcb, so there is a much bigger overhang.
Perhaps I was just unlucky, but after this experience I'm a lot more cautious.

Donut

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 15, 2019
Not a lot, 1mm I would say (or not a lot more than that, that's for sure).
Note that I was in a different case than you, because the pico 120-WI (which accept a 19v input) is SIGNIFICANTLY wider than the 150xt because it has two pcb, so there is a much bigger overhang.
Perhaps I was just unlucky, but after this experience I'm a lot more cautious.

A different case, but definitely still a relevant one. Thank you for sharing your experience. I've already ordered the motherboard, so I guess I'll see how things turn out soon. Hoping the 150-XT just fits.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
A different case, but definitely still a relevant one. Thank you for sharing your experience. I've already ordered the motherboard, so I guess I'll see how things turn out soon. Hoping the 150-XT just fits.

If you need one, I do sell a plugin unit that is low profile. However it doesn't have the right hook up for the DC adapter. If you're handy and can make one... You can use that instead if it proves too big.

Donut

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 15, 2019
The motherboard arrived today. Here's a few pictures (sorry for the image quality):

A perfectly snug fit! There's no contact between the RAM and PSU, and there's fractions of a millimeter of space to spare.

@Thehack I won't need electrical tape, right?

(P.S.: I noticed that the PSU wasn't plugged in all the way when taking these pictures. I've fixed that issue, and it didn't make any difference in terms of fit)

Reactions: DwarfLord

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I would still put some electrical tape over it. In case you put pressure on it.

Usually inductors casing aren't conductive but hey, it doesn't cost anything.

Donut

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Mar 15, 2019
I would still put some electrical tape over it. In case you put pressure on it.

Usually inductors casing aren't conductive but hey, it doesn't cost anything.
Will do. I've got some lying around somewhere. Thanks for your help!