• Discord! Come chat with us in our Discord server, open to all forum members, but now we've opened it up to all. Join our discussions by clicking the "Discord" button on the side menu!!

Power Supply PICO psu inquiries

chinamanch

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 14, 2018
Hello There

I'm a new member here and I'm currently on a personal project to put in a PC inside a PS2 case. I have all the parts I need and I'm almost 50% done except for one thing and that is how to power this project , I've opted for a pico psu or a flex psu I 'm thinking of choosing the pico but I have some questions first and hopefully you can help me. here . 1st if opted for pico 300 watts I would need a 12 volt DC power supply or brick to power the module . I was looking in Amazon for a decent power brick but its quite expensive for 240 watts. I was wondering if its possible to rig a standard ATX psu as a external supply for the pico since I have some spare ATX psu lying around rated at 300 to 350 watts in my place.

My system specs

- AMD Athlon x4 870k / Ryzen 3 1300x (in the future)
- Asrock FM2 mini ITX board FM2A68M-HD+
- x2 8 gb kingston 1600 ddr3
- Rx 560 low profile oc MSI
- x1 2.5 140 gb SSD
- x1 2.5 2t b SSHD
- PSU Either Pico or a 350 Flex psu.

Any inputs will be highly appreciated :)

Thanks !!!

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
You can if you're willing to deal with an exposed psu.

The point of a proper external psu is that it is completely covered and safe.

The PicoPSU 160XT + 192W adapter kit isn't too expensive so you should get that instead.

Reactions: NateDawg72

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
With the Athlon 870k or Ryzen 3 + low profile 560 I don't think you'll need 200+ watts, so I second Thehack's suggestion for the 160XT kit.

Steedsofwar

Chassis Packer
Oct 14, 2018

The PicoPSU 160XT + 192W adapter kit isn't too expensive so you should get that instead.
Is it a requirement that the adapter needs to be a higher wattage component than the internal Pico PSU? What if the 160 Pico is coupled with a 156 adapter, for a system that won't draw more than 120 w?

LungButter

Efficiency Noob
Sep 16, 2018
I recently picked up a used Dell 330w brick in excellent shape off of ebay for < $40 shipped. Another option to keep in mind.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
Is it a requirement that the adapter needs to be a higher wattage component than the internal Pico PSU? What if the 160 Pico is coupled with a 156 adapter, for a system that won't draw more than 120 w?
That would work just fine :) it doesn't need to be higher than the pico, but the adapter is what usually limits how much power the system can handle.

Reactions: Steedsofwar

chinamanch

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 14, 2018

Thanks for the inputs :v

So I can go down that route my old PSU as external power brick for the Pico I just want confirm if it is possible :) that really will save me a lot !!!

Thanks !!

Last edited:

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
No it will not.

You will need around 160W or more. I would not use an LED driver type. Those are out of specs. Power is not clean enough for powering PC.