Power Supply Pico/Nano Power Supply Design Help?

DefinitelyTech

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 7, 2019
Hello all!
I am an Electrical Engineer, focused on Power, and Ive been wanting to expand my knowledge into pcb design and hardware design. I was hoping to model out and maybe eventually create my own pico PSU, but I am hoping there would be a little more help in starting it.

i know I could just design a DC DC converter, but optimizing that down could take a while without proper knowledge. I contacted HDPLEX to hopefully find some discontinued schematic I could look at as a starter, but they were unable to provide that (I completely understand). I have failed to find ANY detailed schematic for a pico PSU besides the small one from a while back here using the ISL6440.

Is there anyone out there with a schematic I can borrow or even just a model that I could simulate and look through?

REVOCCASES

Shrink Ray Wielder
REVOCCASES
Silver Supporter
Apr 2, 2020
www.revoccases.com
Hello all!
I am an Electrical Engineer, focused on Power, and Ive been wanting to expand my knowledge into pcb design and hardware design. I was hoping to model out and maybe eventually create my own pico PSU, but I am hoping there would be a little more help in starting it.

i know I could just design a DC DC converter, but optimizing that down could take a while without proper knowledge. I contacted HDPLEX to hopefully find some discontinued schematic I could look at as a starter, but they were unable to provide that (I completely understand). I have failed to find ANY detailed schematic for a pico PSU besides the small one from a while back here using the ISL6440.

Is there anyone out there with a schematic I can borrow or even just a model that I could simulate and look through?

Interesting idea but I doubt anyone will share their schematics or design files, even if it is an EOL product.

If you are an electrical engineer you could buy one and do a bit of reverse engineering. There are not that many different components involved. For starters I would have a look how the bigger DC ATX boards work. On these you can figure out easier which component are used and how it all works together.

For example:

asking in some electronic forums might also help.

On grabcad you can find 3D models and renders of some pico-psus to check out the dimensions etc.

Good luck. :)

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
That ISL440 design IIRC was reverse engineered but turned out close to the app note. I'd start looking up buck or buck-boost chips and app notes from the manufacturer. These are usually a wealth of info. Analog Devices used to be renowned for theirs back when I was doing some analog design