Image Credit - Phison​

You may not realize this but Phison controllers power some of the most popular SSDs in the market. I've long used them in the form of Sabrent NVME SSDs, but you can find them in all sorts of brands ranging from house brands like Inland to major companies like Corsair. It's not surprising then that Phison announced their first PCIe 5.0 NVME controllers at Computex this year.

So how fast are these? Well, Phison is claiming that you can see up to 12GB/s of read and 10GB/s of right speed. For reference, the fastest PCIe Gen 4 drives top out at about 7000MB/s speed.

While it's great knowing that I could transfer the entire contents of my old Pentium II D300 in less than a second, the practicality from a gaming standpoint is dubious at best. It never hurts to have a faster drive, but modern games are just starting to require SATA SSDs which cap out at 550MB/s or thereabout. This may change as developers begin to target the Xbox Series X and PS5 NVME drives, but with cross gen gaming lasting at least into the next year and half, it's doubtful that you will need 12GB/s of read for any games soon.

Of course that's just a gaming workload. There are other apps that will benefit.

Discuss this and other topics in our SFFN Forum. CLICK HERE for this articles thread.

Reactions: Phuncz and rfarmer