Phanteks Evolv Shift - Air Cooled?!

Should I use Air Cooling or AIO?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

awebexpert

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, I know it might sound dumb but here it is. I bought a Rayzen 7 and Phanteks Evolv *Shift* case. So... I am thinking of cooling it with air only, using convection also as it follows:
-Stock Wraith Spire RGB cooler.
- The top front mounted 140mm Phanteks cooler as *exhaust*
- On the bottom 2 X 120 or 140mm Phanteks or other fans (haven't bought any brand yet) as *intakes* .
So, two are pushing air in and the 140mm exhausts it from the top, higher RPM on bottom.

The question is:

DO *YOU* think it will work? Keeping it in decent temperatures, no OC, no heavy gaming.

The official case link here.

neilhart

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 18, 2017
Guys, I know it might sound dumb but here it is. I bought a Rayzen 7 and Phanteks Evolv *Shift* case. So... I am thinking of cooling it with air only, using convection also as it follows:
- On the bottom 2 X 120 or 140mm Phanteks or other fans (haven't bought any brand yet) as *intakes* .
So, two are pushing air in and the 140mm exhausts it from the top, higher RPM on bottom.

The question is:

DO *YOU* think it will work? Keeping it in decent temperatures, no OC, no heavy gaming.

Yes your system should be well vented. May be even too well vented.

I have my Ryzen 7 1700X running in a small scratch built case with only the fan on the CPU cooler, the fan on the GTX 960 ITX and one case fan runs well and fairly cool.

The system stands 245 mm tall, 143 mm wide and 234 mm deep as seen here.

Dual boots Win 10 and Apple macOS 10.13.

Neil

awebexpert

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Oct 25, 2017
Thank you very much Neil!

I will try it like this and if it's heating I'll go for an AIO even if I had some previous bad experiences with them, a NZXT Kraken pump stopped when I needed it most and a Corsair leaked. I don't trust liquid coolers too much and got me paranoid about them.

Your case looks really cool, like a well done DIY project has a "soul"!

Thank you very much for your reply.
Much appreciated!

D

Deleted member 4976

how have you found it? I'm planning on building with a i5 8400 and a gtx 1060 3gb, using the noctua fans and noctua cpu fans.

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com

The question is:

I'm a big fan of Phanteks, and almost bought the Shift. It's just that the ventilation system is slightly compromised. It's not awful, but it's obvious the case was built with looks in mind first. You're describing exactly how Phanteks design the airflow on the case. However, I'd opted for a single fan on the bottom only taking air in, preferably something with high CFM like Noctua industrials. Having two fans, with one bottom and one from the front probably would create a turbulence, which I'm not an expert at, so I can't divulge further, but I prefer a clean unobstructed airflow.

As much as I like AMD Wraith series, it's still carried the "OEM standard performance" although much better than Intel's craptacularistic HSF. I'd suggest you upgrade your HSF to Noctua L9X65-AM4. As indicated by this Czech tech website http://www.ddworld.cz/pc-a-komponen...pire-stealth-a-noctua-d15-u12s-a-l9x65-6.html

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I built a system last week for a coworker. He went with an R5 1600 and GTX 1080 (Asus ROG Strix) - the temps seem good for his build with only a top exhaust, but he also added an intake fan at the bottom. Using the Wraith Cooler which seems to be working ok, but for me it was too close to the glass panel for my liking. Maybe 1-2cm of clearance. This is in the Phanteks Shift case btw.

After adding the 2nd PC fan, the GPU dropped from 82 to about 70 C, and the CPU is just a few degrees cooler but it was already in the acceptable range for him.

Reactions: Nanook