Performance teaser... What would you prefer?

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
Hi SFF Forum,

We're getting closer to having meaningful information about our new cooler.
Let's say I was to do some performance teasing for you... What would you prefer having me do;

Ryzen 1700X, Core i7-8086K or Core i9-9900K ?

Bonus: I will probably be able to do all. But which would you like first?

Commence comments ;)

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I don't think you should expect to see it handle this fully unleashed. In it's dialed back version (with appropriate power consumption) it's quite likely :)
I’d love to see what power limited 9900K the 92mm AIO is capable of cooling. eg 190w

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
I’d love to see what power limited 9900K the 92mm AIO is capable of cooling. eg 190w

MMmhhh. Might go with the 9900K.
Though isn't the "unchained" version doing ~150W at peak and then slacking back down to 95W after a couple of minutes?

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
MMmhhh. Might go with the 9900K.
Though isn't the "unchained" version doing ~150W at peak and then slacking back down to 95W after a couple of minutes?
Yes, assuming most folks would go with some sort of Z390 board. Several Z390 boards are unlimited by default. It would be good to know what power limit Asetek would recommend for the 92mm AIO.

Reactions: Sashby and AseDen

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
If you use Prime please use Prime95 26.6 and not the newer versions with AVX.

Last edited:
Reactions: AseDen

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
Is there any 2xxx ryzen? I am sure 9900K will be what most people here wants since it will reflect the worst case scenario.

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
Just installed my asetek 92 AIO on my 9900k, with prime getting max 81 degrees Celsius with clock running between 3800-4100 mhz because I'm power limited. Running 95 watt TDP limit. I'm super happy considering before I was hitting 92 Degrees with my cryorig C7 CU with thermalright fan at 3800 mhz and anything higher than 3800 mhz it would sky rocket to 100 degrees.

Playing BFV which is super CPU intensive I'm getting max 77 degrees Celcius maintaining mostly 4700 mhz, where as before I would have to cap it at 4.3 ghz and still would hit 90s.

Last edited:

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
Just installed my asetek 92 AIO on my 9900k, with prime getting max 81 degrees Celsius with clock running between 3800-4100 mhz because I'm power limited. Running 95 watt TDP limit. I'm super happy considering before I was hitting 92 Degrees with my cryorig C7 CU with thermalright fan at 3800 mhz and anything higher than 3800 mhz it would sky rocket to 100 degrees.

Playing BFV which is super CPU intensive I'm getting max 77 degrees Celcius maintaining mostly 4700 mhz, where as before I would have to cap it at 4.3 ghz and still would hit 90s.

Those are some super amazing results!
I'm still trying to get to testing. I bought an ASUS Z370-i Strix for the Dan Case (which wasn't up-to-date on BIOS, so I could get the 9900K running. Right now a non-delidded 8086K is in there, though). Turned out cramming standard Corsair SF600 cables in there is... uhm... challenging!

With LPX memory however, there's some pretty cool news... (oh I know, I'm such a tease!)

Re-fitting the PSU today and flipping the AIO fan to be pull, rather than push, today and hopefully it'll all fit. That way I can get you guys some tests :)

Reactions: owliwar

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
As @Desertf0x9 mentioned the trick is "Long Power Duration Limit". If all Cores are one heave load like Prime you will see lower clocks because the CPU can't source more than 95W. But for Games you will see default clock (4,7Ghz) because the load is lower.

@AseDen: Maybe you can do different tests:

Long Power Duration Limit = default
Long Power Duration Limit = 180W
Long Power Duration Limit = 150W
Long Power Duration Limit = 120W
Long Power Duration Limit = 95W

PS: Rotating the fan to pulling is a good idea because it will result in better temps.

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
Just set my maximum short power max to 210 watt for 96 seconds, still maxing out at 77 degrees Celcius with BFV. Mainting 4700-4800 mhz during the entire game.

For fun I completely unleashed the 9900k, no power limit, multicore enhancement on, ran 5ghz on all cores in shadow of the tomb raider and hit 88 degrees max, though averages were quite cool. Although the same settings crashed BFV cause I hit the thermal limit.

This AIO is by far the best optimal setup for the dancase for running a 9900K. Only took me like 8 hrs to figure out how to cram all the wires so its fits but I'll be getting custom cables soon lol!

Also the new riser cable is frigging amazing dan. So optimized and makes life sooo much easier well worth the money. For reference I'm running a A9x14 under the motherboard tray and 2x NF-A4x10 on top of the motherboard.

Also running my A9x14 fan on the radiator in pull configuration. Won't upgrading to the NH-L9I fan yield better results because it spins faster? Unfortunately my thermalwright fan doesn't fit on top of the radiator.

Reactions: Nanook

Daemos

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 3, 2017
Just set my maximum short power max to 210 watt for 96 seconds, still maxing out at 77 degrees Celcius with BFV. Mainting 4700-4800 mhz during the entire game.

For fun I completely unleashed the 9900k, no power limit, multicore enhancement on, ran 5ghz on all cores in shadow of the tomb raider and hit 88 degrees max, though averages were quite cool. Although the same settings crashed BFV cause I hit the thermal limit.

Water has a much higher specific heat than metal, therefore, it takes much longer to heat up (and cool down). Did you take these max temps when everything was at equilibrium (which can take an hour or more depending on the system)?.

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
It was about 30 minutes of playing. Find it difficult to make more time to game than that. Although I did run prime95 for over an hr.

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
updates? I'm about to choose a proper cooler for my Dan Case!

Hi Daddel,

I'm at CES at the moment. Will try to get you a brief answer.
So far it's looking like this:
  • Easier installation
  • Better airflow over fan
  • Pump can run a lower speeds (less noise)
  • Slightly better performance
This was from internal testing. Still waiting to hear what DonDan has to say :)

Reactions: fabio and Nanook