Parts and progress for my sons SFF gaming PC

BobGarn

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
Hi all

So at first I wanted the NCASE for this build but it just got too expensive and difficult to order the parts. I went with Chieftec IX-03B which seems to fit his needs just fine.
The case looks nice and the build quality seems fine although I did have an issue with the screws (to hold the PSU and MB in place)

Now we are beginning to get the real parts ;) and putting them in place in the case. Looking forward to it.

Here are the parts that I've found so far:

GIGABYTE GA-AB350N-GAMING WIFI
AMD Ryzen™ 5 2400G with Radeon™ RX Vega 11 Graphics
G.Skill AEGIS 2 x 8 GB
Noctua NH-L9a-AM4 CPU
WD Blue 3D NAND SATA SSD WDS500G2B0B 500 GB

And then he should be good to go with a gaming PC that is powerful enough for his needs :)

Hope this build will be fun. I will try to take pictures of it and see if I can get some benchmarks when it's all up and running.

//Henrik

BobGarn

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
I should add that if any of you has any comments or thoughts about the parts then by all means, let me know ;)

BobGarn

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
He will play games ranging from C&C Generals to some of the newer games. Online games like Roblox :\ He will also be making videos for YouTube so he can be the next YouTub'er :cool:

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
I would say that is too low a wattage, better 160 or above, From experience and checking on PCpartpicker and outervision PSU recommends

BobGarn

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
Okay, well didn't know that and from SFF builds I've seen around 100w should be enough... if you or anyone else here can recommend some I'd love to hear about it :)

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Ryzen 5 2400G draws 114W while gaming, so 120W PSU might be very tight.

(Source: guru3D)

Reactions: stree

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
So thats about 114 for the APU, MB is usually about 10, DDR4 about 5-7, SSD nearly 10,.......It soon adds up even idling, and when doing something demanding of it, well you can imagine.
Pico 160 would be fine for the build, even a clone. and a 150W brick.
If you are in UK I could point you to suppliers.

BobGarn

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
I'm in Denmark so if you could point me to UK based suppliers, I can see if they ship to DK and if not (or if shipping costs are too insane) I can try and find a better PSU locally :)

stree

Airflow Optimizer
Dec 10, 2016
You could try this guy, unfortunately he seems to have sold out for now, but you could mail to see when his next shipment is, he will respond quickly, name is Tomasz.
https://it-tech-uk.com/
Not sure where else apart from G-Unique on this site, but will have a look around for you.

BobGarn

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
So I've been looking at the shop stree linked to. Looks great but several PSU's are out of stock. I could of course wait but in the meantime just wanted to hear if I could just use either of these ones instead:

https://www.sfflab.com/collections/power-supplies/products/kmpkt_dynamo_psu?variant=1352997240841

https://www.hdplex.com/hdplex-400w-hi-fi-dc-atx-power-supply-16v-24v-wide-range-voltage-input.html

Just disregard the fact that they are more expensive and only think about specs and mountability :)

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
@BobGarn if you go with either the above psu's you should be fine, as long as you choose a power supply thats about 300w, such as the Dell 330W DA330PM111, ADP-330AB, XM3C3 Dell(FlexTronics) 240W PA-9E, PA9E, 330-4128, ADP-240AB B, GA240PE1-00, J938H, J211H, or Y044M.

Also, this is a gaming computer, right? Why did you decide to get a case with no room for a discrete graphics card? Integrated graphics are fine if you aren't playing graphically intense games, but you said "newer games" so...

BobGarn

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
So you're saying that with the HD Plex (second link) there is no power brick included? I've attached a screenshot of it, as it looks like there is one included :\

Sorry uploading images wasn't playing nice.

Yeah newer games as I'm always 100% updated on what he is playing... and I am also assuming that when he has a computer that can play newer games he will want more and more. Teens you know ;)

He has to carry the computer between his moms home and mine so it was important to get one that was as small and portable as possible.

Last edited:

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
So you're saying that with the HD Plex (second link) there is no power brick included? I've attached a screenshot of it, as it looks like there is one included :\

Sorry uploading images wasn't playing nice.

Yeah newer games as I'm always 100% updated on what he is playing... and I am also assuming that when he has a computer that can play newer games he will want more and more. Teens you know ;)

He has to carry the computer between his moms home and mine so it was important to get one that was as small and portable as possible.

The Ryzen 2400G is fine if you have no plans to upgrade(as its much more difficult to upgrade a CPU), only looking for a 1080p experience and aren't playing graphically intense games such as Doom or Witcher III. (https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/04/17/amd-ryzen-5-2400g-review/)

Of course, if you want to take a different route, theres always custom cases like the Skyreach 4 Mini, which is what I lug around Uni & work(I work at my Uni) with a 15 inch monitor, keyboard, mouse, S4M, and power supply. Its not terribly heavy, about 10-15 pounds or so. I carry it all around in a 15 inch laptop messenger bag that I bought at my local electronics store.

BobGarn

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
@GuilleAcoustic After looking at several power bricks posted in #14 (thanks @Nightblade) I can just as well go with the HDPlex with a power brick. Too bad I didn't ask for help here before I wasted money on the CDP-120ITX :(

BobGarn

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Feb 6, 2018
@Nightblade I did look at the Skyreach 4 Mini but unfortunately being in Denmark I'd have to pay way too much for this in fees, importfees, taxes etc. (yeah they love taxes here :confused:) I also looked at Dan Case and several others. Had my eyes fixed on SilverStone ML08 but realized it's way too heavy to carry around all the time.