Open air cases and moisture?

O_and_N

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Im not really a fan of open air cases but a few days ago i saw that cougar conquer case and is now stuck im my throat XD

I know that its a dust magnet so i can afford to spend 6-8€ a month for a condensed air to clean it.What is bothering me is moisture and all of the elements.I live in Spain,so in general is hot weather.Sometimes in winter,when i wake up in the morning,i do see that my window is all foggy and wet from the outside and inside but that is all.Havent seen this for example on my monitor.
Since this case is open(in a few places) and does have glass(not sure if glass atracts moisture),coud i expect to wake up with a wet pc or not?Or maybe the risk is not worth it.

In summer its close to 30º in my room and in winter i coud expect in worst case scenario to be -2-5ºC on the outside at night and 15ºC inside my room.

I was planing on moving my workstation on this case so its all day/5-6 days of work every week.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
I don't think this would be an issue. Yes it will continually happen to the window because it forms a barrier to the outside, and plenty of moisture might condense on the surface of the interior window, because it is much colder during winter. But the condensation should stop there. As long as your home is moderately heated, the air shouldn't get cool enough for it to form on anything except the window. Just wipe up the moisture in the morning if you are concerned about ambient humidity. And I wouldn't put the PC right up next to the window either.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
Yes a fully/highly sealed case would be a big problem. For comparison, look at people with gun safes who have problems in humid environments. They put a silica gel canister in there. I just thought of this in another way:

When water forms on a window sill, this is actually preventing damage to electronics. The lower temperature of the window glass is providing a medium for excess humidity to condense on. So it's a sort of a "lighting rod" for moisture. It's not creating any moisture which wasn't already present inside. But if you were in a humid room with no exterior windows, condensation could form on everything if the entire room cooled evenly. Like what happens in a bathroom after a shower, or the gun safe.

This is also what happened inside my car when I had a leak in the trunk. Condensation formed on nearly every interior surface during the night, it didn't matter what it was.

O_and_N

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Yes a fully/highly sealed case would be a big problem. For comparison, look at people with gun safes who have problems in humid environments. They put a silica gel canister in there. I just thought of this in another way:

When water forms on a window sill, this is actually preventing damage to electronics. The lower temperature of the window glass is providing a medium for excess humidity to condense on. So it's a sort of a "lighting rod" for moisture. It's not creating any moisture which wasn't already present inside. But if you were in a humid room with no exterior windows, condensation could form on everything if the entire room cooled evenly. Like what happens in a bathroom after a shower, or the gun safe.

This is also what happened inside my car when I had a leak in the trunk. Condensation formed on nearly every interior surface during the night, it didn't matter what it was.

Thank you.So i will just have to move it a few feet away from the window and thats that.Was kind of freaking out that i might find moisture on the glass side panels.That makes me think something.On rainy days,if i have the wet laundry inside the house on the dryer,maybe it loud be a good idea to place it in a room far furhet than mine,or open a window or two?Similar efect like the bathroom you mentioned,right?

Maybe buy a cheap dehumidifier and turn it on some days in winter just in case?

Cheers