Concept ONE2 AC-DC and DC-ATX Boards - a 12V family

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Concept thread for ONE2 Plugin DC Boards.

150W Model?

250W Model?

Would pair nicely with the ONE2 Distro 400.

Any features you guys are interested in?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Updated post for product specs and concept information

SFX-S 12V
  • Short SFX 12V AC-DC unit
  • Uses 3D printed and RPS-200-12C to create a 12V AC-DC
  • Up to 200W output
  • 62mm x 125mm x 46mm

FLEX ATX 12V

• Uses FLEX ATX standards
  • Up to 400W output
  • 80mm x 40mm x 160mm
  • Used in conjuction with DC-ATX Boards

SHORT FLEX ATX 12V
  • Uses FLEX ATX standard
  • Up to 200W output
  • 80mm x 40mm x 125mm
  • Used in conjuction with DC-ATX Boards

DC ATX Boards
  • Small DC-ATX boards
  • Takes 12V input, megafit connectors
  • Up to 300W Model (for now)
  • Available with angled 24 pin

Last edited:

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017
Just for my own clarification, the wattage limit on such a board is used for the motherboard, CPU, and max 75W to the PCI-E slot, right?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Just for my own clarification, the wattage limit on such a board is used for the motherboard, CPU, and max 75W to the PCI-E slot, right?

I'm looking at doing two versions, 1 as you suggested above, and the second version, would have 200W continuous, 250W peak, and able to power a 6 pin GPU.

I'm still trying to figure out the details of it right now. The issue is that there's few supporting AC-DC units and going about making it intuitive to integrate these 12V AC-DC units is difficult.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I would like to see it have a smaller footprint like the PicoPSUs. The only issue I have with the HDPlex is that it juts out a little to far which could be a problem with tight fitting components, depending on the motherboard used.

PicoPSU makes a wide voltage plugin unit with a smaller width but also overlooked since it only provides 120W.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
I would like to see it have a smaller footprint like the PicoPSUs. The only issue I have with the HDPlex is that it juts out a little to far which could be a problem with tight fitting components, depending on the motherboard used.

PicoPSU makes a wide voltage plugin unit with a smaller width but also overlooked since it only provides 120W.

So the biggest issue is minibox has a patent on direct plug psu. I haven't figured out a good way around it.

I really want to sell these units long term and legitimately in the US. I don't want to get knocked down by minibox when they're on a spree.

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017
So the biggest issue is minibox has a patent on direct plug psu. I haven't figured out a good way around it.

I really want to sell these units long term and legitimately in the US. I don't want to get knocked down by minibox when they're on a spree.

Out of interest, I searched for mini-box's patent - link

At the bottom, I noticed the following:

Legal Events
Date Code Title Description
2013-01-07 REMI Maintenance fee reminder mailed
2013-05-26 LAPS Lapse for failure to pay maintenance fees
2013-07-16 FP Expired due to failure to pay maintenance fee
Effective date: 20130526

Does that mean what I think it means?

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Out of interest, I searched for mini-box's patent - link

At the bottom, I noticed the following:

Does that mean what I think it means?

I'm not sure. I'll try to make an email or call to the patent office and see what they say about that.

It may not affect the product as much as you'd think. The way G-Unique is able to fit so many connectors is by direct solder pads, which requires more skill than normal production.

I also know that many people prefer to have customized cabling as well.

I also will have an LC filter circuit as well, which most plug in boards do not have. The ones that do (HD plex 160) are quite big.

EDIT: I called the patent office, and they said "expired" means they can reinstate the patent when they feel like, though at this time, it is not valid. WOOT WOOT. Thank you for point that out.

While this makes it easier, I'm not sure if I can design a 400W plug in unit the same way that G-Unique can. I may still use a 2 board design.

Last edited:

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017
EDIT: I called the patent office, and they said "expired" means they can reinstate the patent when they feel like, though at this time, it is not valid. WOOT WOOT. Thank you for point that out.

WHOOP WHOOP! :cool:

While this makes it easier, I'm not sure if I can design a 400W plug in unit the same way that G-Unique can. I may still use a 2 board design.

2 board, as in one DC-DC filter/splitter board, and one DC-ATX plug in unit? That still a pretty useful offering.

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
WHOOP WHOOP! :cool:

2 board, as in one DC-DC filter/splitter board, and one DC-ATX plug in unit? That still a pretty useful offering.

Yes. Similar to the Distro board.

I'm thinking of

120W -> PLUG IN Only

200W -> DC-ATX Board

300W -> DC-ATX Board

400W -> DISTRO 400 + Plugin

Does that seem like a good spread?

Reactions: Elerek

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016

I'm thinking of

120W -> PLUG IN Only

200W -> DC-ATX Board

300W -> DC-ATX Board

Seems reasonable.

In reality what does 200W get you that 120W doesn't? Maybe skip straight to 300W.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I can run a system with a 1050Ti just off a 150W power brick so this 200W has overhead and makes sense. 120W is good enough for a Ryzen APU system (even with a bit of overclocking).

InfernoZeus

SFF Lingo Aficionado
May 23, 2017

I'm thinking of

120W -> PLUG IN Only

200W -> DC-ATX Board

300W -> DC-ATX Board

Do you think the 120W should be able to run a 65W CPU, plus a GPU if it's powered separately? Something like this:

AC/DC ---> 120W Plug-in -> EPS CPU
|
|-> GPU PCI-E 6/8pin

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Original poster
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Do you think the 120W should be able to run a 65W CPU, plus a GPU if it's powered separately? Something like this:

AC/DC ---> 120W Plug-in -> EPS CPU
|
|-> GPU PCI-E 6/8pin

Yes. I would recommend you get a load switch though. The new plug in units will have a 12V sync signal, compatible with the switches aquelito makes.

Last edited: