Odd Noctua NF-A12x25 Behavior.

• Thread starter Deleted member 3671
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3671

Original poster
Hello everyone, thank you for stopping by to read my thread. Lets get down to brass tacks.

I have a fairly significant issue with my NF-A12x25's that I'm hope someone can help me solve.

When I connect 2 NF-A12x25's via the included Y cable > 4pin to mini 4pin adapter > GPU, while running 3d applications 1 of 2 fans will stop spinning at some point. It can be either fan, at anytime, but *seemingly* only occurs while I have 3d applications/games running. I have the rpm floor set roughly 3 times higher than the lowest rated rotational speed. Also, I know that the problem is not due to a faulty 4pin to mini 4pin adapter cable, Y cable, or GPU, because when I swap the NF-A12x25's for another other set of 120mm fans, this issue does not occur. I did seperate testing of each NF-A12x25 off of a M/B header and didn't notice any odd behavior. This issue persists across Precision X1, Afterburner, and while using no fan control software. Is it possible that the logic on the NF-A12x25's doesn't mesh well with my GPU in some way?

System:
Case: Ncase M1 v5
CPU: Intel 6700k w/Alpenfohn Atlas/Scythe Kabuto III
M/B: Gigabyte Z170N-gaming 5 rev.1
RAM: Corsair LPX 16GB 2133MHz
GPU: GTX 1080 Founders w/Artic Accelero IV
PSU: Corsair SF600

If it helps: there are a few other posts on Google searches about this specific fan and issues when being run on a Y cable, and/or off a gpu. If anyone has any idea what could be causing this behavior, or if you need more specific information from me, please let me know.

Thanks again for stopping by and taking the time to read my thread.

D

Deleted member 3671

Original poster
Do the fans run fine off of a mobo header?
When run directly off a M/B header without using a Y cable, they run fine for me. When using a Y cable off the M/B header, they also ran fine for me. However, a few people have reported this behavior (1 of 2 fans stopping or 1 of 1) using that configuration (M/B > Y cable > fan/fans). My issue seems to only manifest off the GPU, but ONLY with these fans.

xSDMx

Caliper Novice
Nov 21, 2018
So... Incidentally, I just did a rebuild of my NCase and decided to try running my Accelero NF-A12x25 fans off of my 2080 Ti fan header. Exact same issue. Intermittent RPM surging. Absolutely no problems with SpeedFan + mobo header. Really odd. Same fans, different GPU. My guess is that this is "just how it is".

xSDMx

Caliper Novice
Nov 21, 2018
When run directly off a M/B header without using a Y cable, they run fine for me. When using a Y cable off the M/B header, they also ran fine for me. However, a few people have reported this behavior (1 of 2 fans stopping or 1 of 1) using that configuration (M/B > Y cable > fan/fans). My issue seems to only manifest off the GPU, but ONLY with these fans.

Did you ever find a solution?

srekal34

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 1, 2019
There is no solution, gpu header has not enough power which is causing this. Buy the fan controller before you dsmage the card/fans

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I'd suggest using an Y-cable with external power source, if the fans are PWM controlled...

Or a simple PWM spliiting PCB ....

Last edited: