Stalled Nippon Malaya DAIICHI Series: An Industrial-Chic 19.9L-23.6L MATX Case

muazri_my

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 28, 2019
muazri.my
UPDATE 11/08/2019: Now introducing DAIICHI TYPE M! (Now in white & charcoal!)

After a couple of months being in the shadows, Nippon Malaya reveals itself; I suppose. Admittedly, this isn't the most SFF case, considering it's not even under 20L (TYPE S is now a thing). But however, considering the 'general compatibility' with most general consumer components with this case (I've yet to see a case that can support a full sized ATX PSU) (I've only scratched the surface, it seems), I'll post this here for now. Never the less, we present to you, the totally not a product from IKEA™:-

All feedback is very much appreciated; especially in regards to the thermal performance and most especially the structural integrity of the PSU mount (though the case will be using 14 gauge steel)

Last edited:

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
After a couple of months being in the shadows, Nippon Malaya reveals itself; I suppose. Admittedly, this isn't the most SFF case, considering it's not even under 20L. But however, considering the 'general compatibility' with most components with this case (I've yet to see a case that can support a full sized ATX PSU), I'll post this here for now. Never the less, we present to you, the totally not a product from IKEA™:-

Welcome aboard.

There are actually a few retail SFF cases supporting ATX PSU, like Silverstone SG08 (at 14.8L) & SG13 (at 11.5L). The custom cases here don't support it because... well, they want to go smaller.

considering it's not even under 20L

Just kidding.

They may labelled as off-topic (https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/only-sff-build-logs-allowed-on-this-forum.7315/#post-95564), but other than that feel free to post your ideas here. There are indeed few cases here which are slightly over the 20L limit.

it makes me thinking though: do you really need to support 360mm radiator & those bunch of 3.5" drives? I think you can get way smaller by supporting only 240mm radiator and one 3.5" drive.

Nice ventilation design & color choice btw.

muazri_my

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 28, 2019
muazri.my
They may labelled as off-topic (https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/only-sff-build-logs-allowed-on-this-forum.7315/#post-95564), but other than that feel free to post your ideas here. There are indeed few cases here which are slightly over the 20L limit.

Thanks for the tip; still navigating through the forum culture as one might guess :p

it makes me thinking though: do you really need to support 360mm radiator & those bunch of 3.5" drives? I think you can get way smaller by supporting only 240mm radiator and one 3.5" drive.

Nice ventilation design & color choice btw.

I actually thought about that and indeed I think I will make an 'S' version of this case in the near future. However, my priorities now is making a relatively compact and aesthetically pleasing case specifically for a Threadripper build

Reactions: ignsvn

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
This very much reminds me of the Thermaltake G3, which comes at 23.55 Liters

Someone else on this forum has modded it to accept a 360 AIO radiator, who's example I followed in building a Threadripper system. The fact that it accepts ATX motherboards allows for much more options on motherboards and more available RAM slots. (picture is with Ryzen before switching to a Threadripper)

The disadvantage with the G3 compared to your case is the limitation of using only one GPU and an SFX PSU, which imo isn't too bad since Corsair now has the SF750 which actually can go to 900+ Watts before OCP and OVP kick in (I wouldn't recommend going to those wattages too long). But I'd say there's much better cheaper options available with ATX PSUs, and your case will allow more than a single GPU.

Reactions: muazri_my

muazri_my

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 28, 2019
muazri.my
This very much reminds me of the Thermaltake G3, which comes at 23.55 Liters

Incidentally, I was actually eyeing on that case for a personal build of mine ?
But as fate would have it, it was completely out of stock in Malaysia haha

But I'd say there's much better cheaper options available with ATX PSUs, and your case will allow more than a single GPU

E X A C T L Y

MrClippy

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2018
If you're looking for a Threadripper mATX compatible case with dual GPU slots, there's a 14L Taobao case out in the wild. They do have an AIO option for it, but not sure if it'll fit with an mATX board. Otherwise, CPU cooler height is limited to 130mm leaving only the measly NH U9 TR4-SP3 to be available.

• Haha

muazri_my

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 28, 2019
muazri.my
14 gauge steel is huge and will make it very heavy. 18 is usually preferred.

Yes, I know. But that is a deliberate design choice for structural reasons and most importantly; an pseudo-industrial aesthetic (refer to compact splash)

Good god that is ugly ?
But I must admit that air cooling isn't that bad of an idea either... I'll think about it in another design

Thehack

Spatial Philosopher
Creator
Mar 6, 2016
J-hackcompany.com
Yes, I know. But that is a deliberate design choice for structural reasons and most importantly; an pseudo-industrial aesthetic (refer to compact splash)

Good god that is ugly ?
But I must admit that air cooling isn't that bad of an idea either... I'll think about it in another design

Then you should use aluminum. The cerebus used thinner steel early on and it was heavily critized for its weight.

Reactions: PBJ and muazri_my

PBJ

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 6, 2019
I really, really like your design and the colors! I only wish that for the “Type S” you could retain the proportions of the “Type L” and not look quite as square. Perhaps using Mini-itx and SFX PSU would help achieve that and differentiate it even more from the “Type L”.

I get that you may already have your vision set though and it still looks really nice. Good work!

CountNoctua

(no relation)
Jul 11, 2019
I would happily "settle" for 140mm fans/280mm radiator support as I think 360mm is a bit overkill for most scenarios and prefer to run lower speed, quieter 140mm (and if this is going into production in a year or two, redesigned Noctua 140mm sterrox fans should hopefully be available). That would change the proportions, though, and I guess if you want a more vertical design the 360mm support makes sense.

Design is vey cool. Will be following this. ?

EDIT: Oh, didn't see type S (reply was typed yesterday). Hmm. Still would prefer 280mm over 240mm, but this is good option, too.

Last edited:

muazri_my

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 28, 2019
muazri.my
I really, really like your design and the colors! I only wish that for the “Type S” you could retain the proportions of the “Type L” and not look quite as square. Perhaps using Mini-itx and SFX PSU would help achieve that and differentiate it even more from the “Type L”.

I get that you may already have your vision set though and it still looks really nice. Good work!

Thanks! :^)
Guess I'll make the TYPE XS then ? . But for real, I will probably rename the TYPE S to the TYPE M in a little bit, just in case for such a series expansion to occur. But for now, I actually want to prototype the damn thing first ??

Reactions: PBJ and CountNoctua

muazri_my

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jun 28, 2019
muazri.my
I would happily "settle" for 140mm fans/280mm radiator support as I think 360mm is a bit overkill for most scenarios and prefer to run lower speed, quieter 140mm (and if this is going into production in a year or two, redesigned Noctua 140mm sterrox fans should hopefully be available). That would change the proportions, though, and I guess if you want a more vertical design the 360mm support makes sense.

Design is vey cool. Will be following this. ?

EDIT: Oh, didn't see type S (reply was typed yesterday). Hmm. Still would prefer 280mm over 240mm, but this is good option, too.

Thanks! Yea sorry about that it never really occurred to me to do 140mm since 120mm is so commonplace unfortunately :( . But I'll take note of that in future designs

Reactions: CountNoctua