NH-L12 with A12x15?

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Aug 21, 2018
Hello folks.

I'm still in the planning phase, but recently I had a thought. Would it be possible to fit a Noctua A12x15 under a NH-L12 without resorting to specialized VLP RAM?

The cleareance from the bottom of the heatsink to the top of the CPU is 43 mm. I'm wondering if the CPU and socket (Ryzen and AM4) should net me a couple of mm's, and I'd be able to fit 30-31 mm DIMM's along with a 15 mm thick fan under there at a total of 45-46 mm. Is it a total pipe dream?

In addition: I'm looking as low DDR4 DIMM's as possible, at atleast 3000 mhz. So far the Corsair Vengeance LPX seems to be the best option at 31 mm. I was hoping to get a set of Team Vulcan, as they should be 30 mm according to this review, but from Team's own website, the height is set at 32. Are there any other options out there?

Last edited:

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Aug 21, 2018
I think it might be possible:

Question is how tall those DIMM's are. According the the original post on reddit, they're Ripjaw V's with the heatsink removed, but no word on how tall they are. It's quite tight though... :D

Reactions: NinoPecorino

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Hi, I have a NH-L12s (not the old L12) with the Noctua A12x15 (it comes with this) on a socket AM4 with the Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM. It fits perfectly.

I'm not sure how much different the L12 is though.

NateDawg72

Master of Cramming
Aug 11, 2016
NH-L12 with NF-A12x15 and standard height DIMMS:

NH-L12 with NF-F12 and VLP DIMMS:

That's a Ryzen/AM4 system pictured.

Oooh man. Is that your system? I'd be very very interested in user experience / testing with L12 + 25mm fan. Is there any improvement over slim fans, or is the performance negated by being so close to the motherboard? Any preference noise wise?

Skarum

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Aug 21, 2018
Any standard height memory (~31-32mm) will work fine. If you get something with exotic heat spreaders you can always remove them.

NH-L12 with NF-A12x15 and standard height DIMMS:

NH-L12 with NF-F12 and VLP DIMMS:

That's a Ryzen/AM4 system pictured.

That's perfect! Exactly what I was looking for. I think I'll get the 31 mm Vengeance, and cross my fingers. The plan is to eventually get a Ghost, and slap it all in there. Thank you so much.

Reactions: dealda and Ionrent