NH-D9L vs NH-U9S in NCASE M1

To4stY

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 5, 2019
Hey guys,

NH-D9L vs NH-U9S
is one of the air coolers better than the other for the NCASE for 100W+ TDP CPUs? (both with 2 fans installed)

bawjaws

Chassis Packer
Jul 15, 2017
There's not much at all in it between the two coolers. The U9S seems a lot more popular in M1 builds but both perform to within a couple of degrees - and which comes out on top seems to vary depending on which reviews you read (generally it's the U9S but not always).

The U9S is a bit heavier so you could argue that it has metal and thus more fin surface area, which should lead to better cooling, but it's marginal in my experience. The D9L is very slightly shorter (110mm vs 125mm) which may be important if you're trying to fit anything on the side bracket above it - there's no room there if you're using the U9S.

Personally, I have a U9S in my M1 and I'm very happy with it, but if I'd not been able to get hold of one for whatever reason then I'd have happily gone with the D9L (or if there had been a significant price difference, which there wasn't).

Reactions: Nanook and To4stY

DaHans

Average Stuffer
May 11, 2018
I got the D9L for 35 Euro Noctua direct sale and it performs very good. i had the C14S in mind but its pricing was a little bit to high.

giraffesinmybalcony

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 15, 2018
Yeah, but it's also £20 more expensive and depending on your setup, a top-down cooler might not be the best solution in any event.

Definitely a great cooler, though.
it has been proven to be the best solution for both vented and windowed panels and pretty much any event. unless of course you are mounting a 240 rad on the side, but then again the U9S and D9L will not fit either way. please do some research beforehand and look at available data.