S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
They started releasing different colour anti vibration pads, but they are adamant about the fan/casing colour scheme. :)

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That's where the redux fans come in: they're cheaper, light/dark grey and include most good tech that the Noctua fans are known for. No accessories though. But no low profile fans though.

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
They started releasing different colour anti vibration pads, but they are adamant about the fan/casing colour scheme. :)

Goes perfectly with a pair of HD598s though. Maybe I should've asked Josh to give me a custom brown powdercoat and rolled with it with some 1990s peripherals :p

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Beige case, Noctua fans, original IBM model M keyboard...(don't stoop to CRT..)

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
I've been meaning to ask. Have any of you had success running a GTX 970 off the HDPLEX power supply? If so, what are your specs?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
The strong majority of my customers who ask me questions in emails are planning 970 builds. I don't hear back from the majority, but I take no news as good news. :)

I do have two customers who have been communicating to me on their 970 adventures. One has an 88w CPU, another a 65w.

The 65w CPU owner has no reported problems thus far--I don't know if he is doing benchmarks or just playing battlefield.

The 85w CPU owner has some issues that he believes he has narrowed down to the AC/DC brick:

Current verdict (through non-extensive testing) is:
PA-9E: Trips regulator in games no matter what, trips regulator in Heaven 4.0 unless at <85% power limit in MSI Afterburner. GPU stable at 85% power limit.
Voodoo: GPU unstable at 100% power limit, stable at 80% power limit.
XM3C3: GPU unstable at 100% power limit, stable at 85% power limit.​

Reactions: Broxin and hat1324

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
The strong majority of my customers who ask me questions in emails are planning 970 builds. I don't hear back from the majority, but I take no news as good news. :)

I do have two customers who have been communicating to me on their 970 adventures. One has an 88w CPU, another a 65w.

The 65w CPU owner has no reported problems thus far--I don't know if he is doing benchmarks or just playing battlefield.

The 85w CPU owner has some issues that he believes he has narrowed down to the AC/DC brick:

Personally I think an 88w CPU is way too much. It would be cool enough for normal use but I do some heavy lifting every now and then and 65w would be my max recommended TDP.

I've been doing some benchmarking lately with the R9 Nano and 390 Nittro 8GB, and I have to say that even 35w i7s don't bottleneck them too much. So I would go 55-65w in the i7 if you can't find a 6700T or you don't want to use something like a 4765T (which I am really liking to my surprise).

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015

The 88W customer is me XD. And to clarify I would not say that the issue is necessarily narrowed down to the brick, and while I believe different bricks with better voltage regulation helps a bit, I hardly suspect that these AC adapters are the main problem.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Based on everything QinX has found in his thread, and my personal experience, I too think the AC adapters are the weak link. You have tried them all now, like me, so you definitely have experience here.

Last edited:

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
Based on everything QinX has found in his thread, and my personal experience, I too think the AC adapters are the weak link. You have tried them all now, like me, so you definitely have experience here.

Yeah for sure, but I don't blame them. Though the HDPLEX performs quite admirably (despite some coil whine), none of these parts are advertised to handle the loads I'm asking of them.

I think I'll try to get in contact with Runamok on OCN. He's the guy who made the Little Mc build, and he is using high end Haswell Refresh chips with 970s

EDIT: my mistake QinX is the one working on the micro XD

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Speaking of coil whine...

I found that with the Nano coil whine is STRONG both at the HDPLEX and the Nano when NOT at full loads (I.E. game menus or loading screens) but at full loads in benchmarking or gaming they are pretty quiet.

I haven't noticed this with the 285ITX, which is interesting to me. I'm sure it is present, but not ostentatiously so.

Just a bit of random information...

Reactions: MJVR1 and QinX

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
A little addendum
I've run a Reference Palit GTX 970 and a i5-4670 (84W TDP) of a Voodoo 350W and HDPlex. Running Prime95 and Furmark at the same time, while making sure the GPU is not CPU bottlenecked while running Prime95 (3 core Prime and 1 Core for Furmark) I've never seen powerdraw above 310W AC. And that is at the wall. the Voodoo is rated for 350W DC.

A 4790K can take another 20W-30W more then the 4670 while running Prime95. So although I can't vouch I think considering the torture test scenario I've used you should be fine with almost any CPU+GTX 970 combo, excluding any balls to the wall 970s.

Here's a snippet, it shows 285W, but I've seen 310W

Speaking of coil whine...

I found that with the Nano coil whine is STRONG both at the HDPLEX and the Nano when NOT at full loads (I.E. game menus or loading screens) but at full loads in benchmarking or gaming they are pretty quiet.

I haven't noticed this with the 285ITX, which is interesting to me. I'm sure it is present, but not ostentatiously so.

Just a bit of random information...

Strange, my nano does have coil whine, but my v2 HDPlex doesn't. My v1 HDPlex did with the 970.
Maybe 110V/60hz makes a difference compared to 220V/50hz.

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
A little addendum
I've run a Reference Palit GTX 970 and a i5-4670 (84W TDP) of a Voodoo 350W and HDPlex. Running Prime95 and Furmark at the same time, while making sure the GPU is not CPU bottlenecked while running Prime95 (3 core Prime and 1 Core for Furmark) I've never seen powerdraw above 310W AC. And that is at the wall. the Voodoo is rated for 350W DC.

A 4790K can take another 20W-30W more then the 4670 while running Prime95. So although I can't vouch I think considering the torture test scenario I've used you should be fine with almost any CPU+GTX 970 combo, excluding any balls to the wall 970s.

Hi QinX, I have actually run MSI Kombustor (Furmark?) on the 970 with no issues whatsoever. It's actually quite bizarre.

I've already tried using a new HDPLEX unit, as well as 3 different AC adapters. I'm getting a new motherboard within the next few days (BTW the Maximus Impact series mobos dont play very nice with 120mm fans in the S4), after which I'm going to try "renting" a new 970 from Amazon. I also have a ZT 750W psu arriving from repairs, so will test that out too

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Hi QinX, I have actually run MSI Kombustor (Furmark?) on the 970 with no issues whatsoever. It's actually quite bizarre. I'm getting a new motherboard within the next few days, after which I'm going to try "renting" a new 970 from Amazon. I also have a ZT 750W psu arriving from repairs, so will test that out too

What application did it crash? I've had that my combo run almost almost a year, april 2015 to December 2015. This involved benchmarks, games and even some CUDA (Vray RT Rendering)