S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
Rather than voltage, temperature and rpm readings - did you check how much power the components draw?
The Dynamo Mini 200 is rated for 160W (200W Peak).
Depending on which EVGA 1060 you have and the clocks it runs at the card alone can pull ~120W, add 50W for the CPU during normal gaming loads (more on CPU intensive applications) and another 50W for mainboard, memory, fans, ssd and BAM! you've just triggered the OCP of the Dynamo Mini.
Try limiting the GPU to something like 60% TDP and see if the problem persists.

Last edited:

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I was going to give the same answer than @blubblob, but (s)he ninja'ed me while I was checking power consumption.

Even if you use a 100000W AC-DC, the Dynamic still can't deliver more than 160W (200W peak).

With lower graphic settings, you aren't stressing the GPU and it doesn't consume that much. As suggested, try lowering the GPU target TDP or power usage.

hyperborea

Trash Compacter
Jan 13, 2016
I was going to give the same answer than @blubblob, but (s)he ninja'ed me while I was checking power consumption.

Even if you use a 100000W AC-DC, the Dynamic still can't deliver more than 160W (200W peak).

With lower graphic settings, you aren't stressing the GPU and it doesn't consume that much. As suggested, try lowering the GPU target TDP or power usage.

What's the best way to lower the GPU TDP? Do I need software for this? I couldn't find these settings in the ASUS bios...

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
The GPU usually can't be controlled via bios. I would suggest downloading MSI Afterburner.
There is also a tool from EVGA if you prefer that, called EVGA Precision XOC. Afterburner is generally considered to be the go-to tool for Nvidia GPUs regardless of brand though. In both applications you should find a slider marked "Power Limit" or "Power Target".

dotch

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2017
@hyperborea
In combination with the GPU power limit you can also try undervolting your CPU (assuming you have a Z-Board) to save a few watts there.
I'm pretty curious if you can get it to run stable, because I also plan to run a EVGA 1060 SC off a dynamo mini.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I've had two Dynamo Minis and four HDPLEX 160 builds (long term) with 1060s and 65w CPUs and I've never had to tweak voltages.

Has something changed in their design where they shut off at a hard cap of 160w? The ones I have had in my office I have combined with Dell 330w bricks and they pull about 178w on average, 200 peak, and no issues.

If you have this setup and you have resets let me know so I can replicate and adjust my recommendations. Up until a few posts ago I would have ranked the HDPLEX 160/Dynamo mini as a solid option for 1060 builds.

Peace

Reactions: Biowarejak

hyperborea

Trash Compacter
Jan 13, 2016
I actually ordered an HDPlex but they sent me a Dynamo Mini. They should be the exact same PSU with a different heatsink.

I guess I'll try MSI Afterburner and report back.

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
I've had two Dynamo Minis and four HDPLEX 160 builds (long term) with 1060s and 65w CPUs and I've never had to tweak voltages.

Has something changed in their design where they shut off at a hard cap of 160w? The ones I have had in my office I have combined with Dell 330w bricks and they pull about 178w on average, 200 peak, and no issues.

If you have this setup and you have resets let me know so I can replicate and adjust my recommendations. Up until a few posts ago I would have ranked the HDPLEX 160/Dynamo mini as a solid option for 1060 builds.

Peace
I believe the hard cap is still somewhere slightly above 200W. It's just that at least in my experience both the EVGA 1060 SC and the 7700 hit their respective wattage limit hard, and constantly.

With GPU Boost 3 all current generation NVidia cards overclock automatically until they hit the power / voltage limit unless a thermal breakpoint is hit or the card is reigned in with something like vsync.
The 7700 with an aggressive fan curve will probably be consistently running at boost clocks too. Especially considering the very lax voltage presets ASUS is known to strap onto their intel boards (I've seen 7700ks at boost clock with 1.4v o_O) i wouldn't be surprised to see the CPU work near or at TDP in cpu intensive tasks.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

hyperborea

Trash Compacter
Jan 13, 2016
I believe the hard cap is still somewhere slightly above 200W. It's just that at least in my experience both the EVGA 1060 SC and the 7700 hit their respective wattage limit hard, and constantly.

With GPU Boost 3 all current generation NVidia cards overclock automatically until they hit the power / voltage limit unless a thermal breakpoint is hit or the card is reigned in with something like vsync.
The 7700 with an aggressive fan curve will probably be consistently running at boost clocks too. Especially considering the very lax voltage presets ASUS is known to strap onto their intel boards (I've seen 7700ks at boost clock with 1.4v o_O) i wouldn't be surprised to see the CPU work near or at TDP in cpu intensive tasks.

This is really helpful info, and I'm still a noob when it comes to the fine tuning, so thank you!

I installed the EVGA Precision XOC app, reduced the "Power Target" to 60% and have been having zero issues since. Seems like I can run all my games at Max settings now and it won't reset. I wonder if 60% is even too conservative, but for now I'm happy.

brt02

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jan 3, 2018

If you have a K CPU and an Asus motherboard, make sure you turn multi core enhancement off in the bios. I think it is on by default and this will increase your power draw by forcing all 4 cores to run at the maximum single core turbo frequency.

I would turn that off and increase the power target in your GPU if you game as this will likely improve performance in games.

blubblob

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 26, 2016
I installed the EVGA Precision XOC app, reduced the "Power Target" to 60% and have been having zero issues since. Seems like I can run all my games at Max settings now and it won't reset. I wonder if 60% is even too conservative, but for now I'm happy.
60% was just a setting I was very confident would in no way hit the OCP of the Dynamo Mini - so if the restarts were still occuring at that point it would be clear that the issue is somewhere else.

Increase the power target in steps of 10% and see if the restarts return. If not, increase by another step, ... until they are back, then go down a step. ;)

Reactions: Nasp

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
WOW that S4M video where you were orienting the S4M in reverse with the CPU facing UP has me convinced....

@Josh | NFC Okay now I REALLY want to send my wrap-around S4M-C side panel to you Josh you you can cut an aperture big enough on the short/solid "bottom" side, and then put a dinoc cover over it with skyslots (for the CPU) like you did for my S4M-C's GPU vent. I'll email you later about the logistics of this and price. :D

Maybe I can flip my S4M-C's orientation as well after the skyslots, and see considerable CPU temp drops too!? MY DREAM COME TRUE! :D The coolest running S4M-C with unique skyslots on ALL 4 sides?! Almost like an S4M-C and S4M hybrid.! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Josh | NFC

Nasp

Cable-Tie Ninja
Apr 17, 2017
WOW that S4M video where you were orienting the S4M in reverse with the CPU facing UP has me convinced....

@Josh | NFC Okay now I REALLY want to send my wrap-around S4M-C side panel to you Josh you you can cut an aperture big enough on the short/solid "bottom" side, and then put a dinoc cover over it with skyslots (for the CPU) like you did for my S4M-C's GPU vent. I'll email you later about the logistics of this and price. :D

Maybe I can flip my S4M-C's orientation as well after the skyslots, and see considerable CPU temp drops too!? MY DREAM COME TRUE! :D The coolest running S4M-C with unique skyslots on ALL 4 sides?! Almost like an S4M-C and S4M hybrid.! :)

Can you link 'said' video please?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com

I can't guarantee this will work, but it might. The S4M has more room in different areas and more venting on the GPU side. Maybe those make all the difference?

hyperborea

Trash Compacter
Jan 13, 2016

You are crazy! Your Mini is going to look like swiss cheese. I would never cut into the bezel, it's what gives the chassis such a unique and elegant look.

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
You are crazy! Your Mini is going to look like swiss cheese. I would never cut into the bezel, it's what gives the chassis such a unique and elegant look.
But if you cut skyslots into the front bezel you can start vesa mounting S4Ms vertically instead of just horizontally. Just think of the possibilities :D

Or you can get a black S4M, attach the feet to the front and stand it facing down with green wires coming out the back. Then you can refer to when you game as “watering the plants.”

Reactions: Biowarejak