S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Yeah, not planning on overclocking - my workflow is heavy on vm & multiprocess so I just want all the cores + as much RAM as I can jam in it. I'm ok with "hot" as long as it's not dying on me. Currently I'm thinking that Dynatron sink + a Prolimatech Ultra Sleek Vortex (120x15mm) mounted on the case. That fan is 54cfm at max speed but honestly I don't really have a good feel for air movement needs. That seems to be well over airflow for what I'm seeing on some other builds, though, so there's that? There's also a few 1u combined sink/coolers available for lga2011-3 narrow which would work but would also be super loud (60db) so avoiding that.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Well, since I am not able to use 12V I'm just gonna sell my 150w power brick that's no longer being used and go for the Dell PA-9E 240w brick. I'm still aiming for 200w consumption just to have that extra head room. Shouldn't be too hard, as my CPU is only 35w, and I can replace the GPU with a cheap 960 in the future.

Wait..what? There is a GTX 960 with no additional PEG connector? Or do you mean the GTX 950?

I'm facing a conunudrum with my 90w GTX 950. I wish I can just trade it in for a new 75w 950 (and just pay like 20 bucks more) but that is not gonna be pretty straightforward without losing a lot of money on the sale in the current used market.

I've also even considered selling the 950 and just going back to a 750 Ti. I already once had the EVGA Superclocked edition for 2 years, really liked that little beast of a card.

So I'm still considering these options. An OC'd 750 Ti with modded BIOS still is a great value for the watt-conscious user.

If you're willing to wait a bit on a gpu, rumour has it that a pegless 1060 is coming this fall with performance that should fall somewhere in the 970 to 980 range.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
How much money ya got? I built a customer a system using this in a S4 Mini and it was pretty awesome. Load that up with 64GB of ECC ram and stick a AMD Fire Pro in there and you have one sick rig. I bet you it would run off a Pico and be pretty cool too.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Now that's an idea. Looks like prices for an X10SDV-F (same but no 10gbe, afaict) are about $810... loses about 35% multicore and 18% single vs. an ES E5-2690v3 (and then no worrying about greymarket, having an actual warranty, that jazz) and waaaaay lower TDP. Whole system comes in under 150W probably if my math is right... or closer to 200W if I slap in 128gb of ECC which I could totally do. Also pretty similar price.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
If you're willing to wait a bit on a gpu, rumour has it that a pegless 1060 is coming this fall with performance that should fall somewhere in the 970 to 980 range.

I'm also waiting for the launch of the RX 470 and 460 cards. These can prove to be worthy low-power options as well.

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Yeah but 480 needs a 6 pin. The 1060 will run straight off PCIe power which is a huge selling point IMO.

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
@Josh | NFC hey, should your ribbon cable be long enough to install a single slot GPU in the top slot? (the one further from the motherboard)

I'm thinking it might be fun to shove a compact USB-powered dac/amp (probably build a AMB γ1.5) in there and stick headphone output + a volume knob in the front panel.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
@Josh | NFC hey, should your ribbon cable be long enough to install a single slot GPU in the top slot? (the one further from the motherboard)

I'm thinking it might be fun to shove a compact USB-powered dac/amp (probably build a AMB γ1.5) in there and stick headphone output + a volume knob in the front panel.

That's an interesting question, and I am totally sold out on the ribbon cables (even the testing ones!) so I can't check this second. Any reason you couldn't use a single slot card on the bottom? Since the heatsink would be on that side anyways I think I would want to stick the DAC on the other side.

Peace!

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Wouldn't the PCI-e connector on a two-slot card be in the upper slot anyhow? I would think folding it to get it down to the bottom slot would be more of an issue with the clearances.

lhl

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 16, 2015
Saw that while the RX 480 is 240mm, the PCB sans cooler is only 180mm, which would comfortably fit in the S4 Mini. Just putting it out there in case no mods announce any mini-ITX AIBs next week. Personally, I'm pretty excited about the power consumption being pretty reasonable (reportedly ~100W under normal loads) since I managed to melt an HDPLEX the other week (oops) w/ my current 970 system...

Reactions: Soul_Est

vluft

programmer-at-arms
Jun 19, 2016
Oops, heh, yup. Just double checked and realized my mental image of the card was upside down, and bottom slot would be what I want. Yeah, now I'm wondering about folding to install in bottom slot - could definitely install in top slot, I guess, or get a slightly longer ribbon cable if this one couldn't/shouldn't be pushed that far.

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Saw that while the RX 480 is 240mm, the PCB sans cooler is only 180mm, which would comfortably fit in the S4 Mini. Just putting it out there in case no mods announce any mini-ITX AIBs next week. Personally, I'm pretty excited about the power consumption being pretty reasonable (reportedly ~100W under normal loads) since I managed to melt an HDPLEX the other week (oops) w/ my current 970 system...

Yep, I've noticed this as well. I've seen others on forums with supposedly insider knowledge saying that only reference cards will be introduced when it comes onto market. There have already been leaks of third party coolers, like the Sapphire Nitro, so maybe @Josh | NFC would be able to check the validity of what others have said and get some time frame when we could expect third-party coolers to arrive to the market.

Oops, heh, yup. Just double checked and realized my mental image of the card was upside down, and bottom slot would be what I want. Yeah, now I'm wondering about folding to install in bottom slot - could definitely install in top slot, I guess, or get a slightly longer ribbon cable if this one couldn't/shouldn't be pushed that far.

Perhaps you could get a different flexible connector with the connector facing the other side so you could simply do a 180 degree bend?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I'm really happy that Sapphire has been keeping me up to date with their Nitro plans, to the point of including me in the design process for some of their later SKUs. I don't know how much of my 3D work will be used or not and I can't comment anyways, so there we are. Just putting this out here, if there is a leak, it wont be from me. :D

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
Yeah, I wouldn't expect or want you to violate an NDA. But hopefully you got a bug in their ear to create a SFF version :cool: Maybe also prod them a little about their warranty lacking compared to the competition...

http://xfxforce.com/en-us/support/faq said:
What is the warranty on my XFX Video Card?
In United States and Canada, XFX has the strongest warranty in the Video card industry. All video cards get at least a 2 year, no hassle warranty, right out of the box based on the purchase date of your reciept/invoice. Products that are Radeon R 200 Series Double Dissipation (DD- Dual Fan) can get a lifetime warranty if registered within 30 days of purchase.

And this isn’t just a lifetime warranty that’s conveniently fine printed “lifetime of the product” or similar; but for the lifetime of the original owner. The wording might seem morbid, but if you purchased the card, and you’re alive, it’s covered under warranty; just keep a record of the purchase.

Like to mod your video card? We got you covered there as well. We fully cover you using your own cooler and overclocking, as long as the card can be returned to stock condition it’s covered! There are restrictions however. If you do something to the card that can’t be easily undone you’re probably going to void your warranty; so please keep those soldering irons, dremmel tools, and glues/epoxies off of your graphics card.

Have an older card? Don’t worry, while our warranty has changed over the years whatever warranty your card had when it was purchased it still has that same warranty! If you are experiencing any issues with previous warranties or registration, please contact us, we will deal with those issues on a case by case basis. Dont forget, since the start of the 7000 Series, Lifetime warranties cannot be transferred when selling to a 2nd party.

Some other terms and conditions may apply, so please check out our full warranty terms and conditions here: http://xfxforce.com/en-us/support/xfx-warranty .

If you have any questions, please contact our support staff at www.xfxsupport.com.[

Edit: I'll add that I was a happy user of their Vapor-X HD5770 for many years

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Your chassis is sold out? No more S4 mini runs?

We are getting close, but not yet! I have been getting them all powdercoated in different rotations...the third rotation (of four rotations) just sold EXTREMELY quickly so I have put a hold on them to make sure I can deliver the right colors to the right people.

I will have the last 1/4 of the units in the final black, and my favorite blue hopefully before mid-July.

I do have LIMITED amounts of Glacier White in stock, and Just Orange (a flat orange). I also have a Just Orange I coated in a texturized orange rubber (plastidip) to see how I liked it.

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
You are deserving this success josh, your NFC S4 mini is a damn good product!

Last edited: