S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Thats extremely generous of you Josh! It doesn't bother me so much that I'd put you through that at the moment, but I'll keep the offer in mind. ;)

BTW I just finished cutting and sleeving all the cables in my build. If I could do it all again... I wouldn't. Hands are more raw than ahi tuna XD

That's beautiful. What GPU under the drives?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
NICE job, hat! They look great...and yeah, sleeving is a pain. Larry (amazing dude) from HDPLEX has suggested that he might be making a new set of cables for the S4 Mini that are the best size for it, and I also have two other customers who are looking at offering pre-sleeved sets for the Mini. They will get my business if the quality is good because I HATE SLEEVING!!!!

In the meantime you can order a set of cables from Primochill and then repin them to match the HDPLEX pinouts.

Also the paint chipping looks really bad, hat. I'm happy that you caught the weak powdercoat job before any more shipped to customers, but I'm sad that you got such a bad set. I think there was one other customer that got a bad set too before I realized I needed to repaint them all myself--I think I replaced his panels but I can repaint them for you too if you know who you are.

Reactions: Soul_Est

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Thats extremely generous of you Josh! It doesn't bother me so much that I'd put you through that at the moment, but I'll keep the offer in mind. ;)

BTW I just finished cutting and sleeving all the cables in my build. If I could do it all again... I wouldn't. Hands are more raw than ahi tuna XD
(snip)

Looking nice. Way to make the PCBs of the hard drives coordinate with your color theme. And I typically don't like having that side of the hard drive visible.

As for sleeving, I really find it tedious as well but also less necessary, IMO, for USFF builds as they just add more bulk. I'm fine with just plain unsleeved black wires (or silver). But if you want some color matching sleeves then go for it.

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
Looking nice. Way to make the PCBs of the hard drives coordinate with your color theme. And I typically don't like having that side of the hard drive visible.

As for sleeving, I really find it tedious as well but also less necessary, IMO, for USFF builds as they just add more bulk. I'm fine with just plain unsleeved black wires (or silver). But if you want some color matching sleeves then go for it.

This was more of a Oh-Look-I-Have-30ft-of-Paracord-Sh*t-Now-I-Need-30-More moment.

makiasd

Caliper Novice
May 12, 2016
I know a lot of people said the Cryroig C7 wouldn't fit in the case, but has anyone actually physically tried it out yet? If it doesn't fit I was thinking of removing the stock fan (making it 32mm tall) and using a 120mm slim fan (12mm) with the bracket that comes included with the case.

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
I know a lot of people said the Cryroig C7 wouldn't fit in the case, but has anyone actually physically tried it out yet? If it doesn't fit I was thinking of removing the stock fan (making it 32mm tall) and using a 120mm slim fan (12mm) with the bracket that comes included with the case.
In fact, maximum height above intel cpu socket is 45mm.

Proposal to use base of cryorig C7 (without fan) and slime fan on bracket is not working as bracket is located at 45mm from cpu socket, but 40mm. As comparison putting a slime 12mm thick fan on bracket is working with 27mm tall Zalman CNP2S but not with noctua nh l9i (34mm tall).

As far as I personnally experienced, you can use id-vc45 with noctua 92 fan..and it's cooling stock core i7 6700K (see my signature, S4 mini configuration). It's even better when undervolting (not underclocking) core i7 6700K..:)

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I guess you can trim a slim fan to be even slimmer to fit on the top bracket. I did this with two of my Sliptream Slim 120mm fans using a Dremel. Final size is 7-8mm thick. Here's a picture of my chopped up fans.

The fins protrude out of the frame a bit, especially more on the fan on the right which I did a better job trimming. If you are to place such a fan so it blows air out of the case, just be sure it won't ever touch the heatsink.

Reactions: Soul_Est and QinX

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
Do you have a proper fan left? I'm curious what the effect of removing the shroud/duct has on performance. My guess would be that the fan would work a lot more inefficient because it doesn't suck air on one side and pushes it out the other. I'd say a large part of the air gets flung around. More like a ceiling fan, just moving air.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
I'm trying to assemble and get done my "ready to ship" colors I will have in stock. I don't have all the details myself yet, but I wanted to see what you guys think. I do NOT have access to photo editing software this week so these are direct from camera and look awful (I shoot with a flat color profile for accurate grading in post) but it's just a preview.

Is this something that looks like a good idea? Should I make more than 5? I'm trying to come up with a guesstimate of how many I should do...

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
I'm trying to assemble and get done my "ready to ship" colors I will have in stock. I don't have all the details myself yet, but I wanted to see what you guys think. I do NOT have access to photo editing software this week so these are direct from camera and look awful (I shoot with a flat color profile for accurate grading in post) but it's just a preview.

Is this something that looks like a good idea? Should I make more than 5? I'm trying to come up with a guesstimate of how many I should do...

White! Oh what I would do for a white finish... except spend more money. :p That said, its absolutely gorgeous. If this is feasible and won't cost you another $1000 disaster, I say go for it. But I'd stick to only white and black options, to cater to the most people.

Last edited:

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
The white is soooo damned good-looking! Pity I'm not in the market for this style of case. Just try not to get drool marks on it before you take your final pix!

michaelmitchell

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 12, 2016
Not a big fan of white, would take Chaos Tangerine any day though. I would especially have preferred a clear coat over the rough finish because it does not slide into my nice leather carry bag very well well and could cause damage to the leather. Currently I wrap my S4 mini in my gigantic mouse pad before sliding it into my bag.

MrTiny

Caliper Novice
May 4, 2016
There is a demand for stormtrooper white on various products. Not as large a demand as black cases have had recently though.

hat1324

Cable-Tie Ninja
Dec 28, 2015
@Josh | NFC Are the screws holding the frame and the panels together M3 or 6-32 or something else? I can't help but imagine how cool these would look on the sides, with the added benefit of acting as case feet.

Last edited: