S4 MINI Classic (S4M-C)

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Feb 14, 2017
how do you know its your 1080 mini? isnt it always the HDPLEX-300 that has the whine? I really gotta order that epoxy to minimize my coil whine when im 4k gaming, i just dont have money right now to buy an HDPLEX-400 and have josh cut the cables to length. XD
My 1080 mini has a boat load of whine, if the fps cap is off. Installing Riva tuner and setting a 90 fps cap seems to have almost completely mitigated it. Also the HDPlex 400 + 300W ACDC combo has helped.

Reactions: Biowarejak

threestripevida

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 28, 2017
Do we still need to modify the power connector to fit in the mini if we are using the HDPlex 400 and the 1080 mini? Is build the process still the same all around with the new HD Plex 400?

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 2, 2017
how do you know its your 1080 mini? isnt it always the HDPLEX-300 that has the whine? I really gotta order that epoxy to minimize my coil whine when im 4k gaming, i just dont have money right now to buy an HDPLEX-400 and have josh cut the cables to length. XD

My 1080 mini has a boat load of whine, if the fps cap is off. Installing Riva tuner and setting a 90 fps cap seems to have almost completely mitigated it. Also the HDPlex 400 + 300W ACDC combo has helped.

Yeah I have the 400 + the 300W ACDC combo and even if I mess with lowering my graphical settings I still get coil whine and it's definitely coming from the GPU and not the PSU.

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016
So after much swearing and a bit of dremeling an entirely painless build, #369 is pretty much done!

Parts list:
  • Asus Z270i Strix
  • i7 7700K
  • Noctua L9i
  • Gigabyte GTX 1070 Mini
  • G.Skill Trident RGB 2x16GB DDR4-3200 C14
  • Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB
  • HDPlex 400 + DA330PM111

Now just need to do some proper testing, possibly undervolt and/or delid the CPU, remove the heatsinks off of the Strix blocking airflow, as well as get some shorter sleeved cables (damn the ones that came with the HDPlex are a tight fit!)

Will send some pics in a few days when I'm happy with it all.

Thanks again Josh!

Reglar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jul 16, 2017
Awesome! Great info. Would love to see pictures of this beast.

I just finished my first 1080ti build, and I would definitely rate it as the most difficult MINI build I've done yet to get everything clean.

Josh, I noticed you used different screws for the case cover after powdercoating, I assume because the insets for the flush screw disappeared after the powder coating; for those of us looking to do something similar can you tell me what size screws you used?
Did you also powdercoat the inside of the case covers?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Josh, I noticed you used different screws for the case cover after powdercoating, I assume because the insets for the flush screw disappeared after the powder coating; for those of us looking to do something similar can you tell me what size screws you used?
Did you also powdercoat the inside of the case covers?

You can still use the stock screws, but fasteners are an important part of the look of any build and I like to choose interesting and different ones for different builds. Regardless...stick with the stock thread of 6-32 unless you are going to drill and retap for M4 or something...

I don't powdercoat the inner chassis usually for many reasons.

Peace

Brandon86

Trash Compacter
Feb 15, 2017
Guys, quick question here, Trying to build a brickless setup like the Orangulan one that was featured a while back. Do you guys think the HDplex 160W AC-DC paired with the 160W DC-ATX would suffice to power an EVGA 1050 Ti and a Ryzen 1700? I would be using an m.2 NVME for boot drive.
I can fit all that inside the case easy, but technically according to PCpartpicker I will go over in wattage by 20 watts. I'm hoping those numbers are more for the safe side of things, and that it could be done without major issues unless I'm overclocking which I don't really intend to do.::much::
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Guys, quick question here, Trying to build a brickless setup like the Orangulan one that was featured a while back. Do you guys think the HDplex 160W AC-DC paired with the 160W DC-ATX would suffice to power an EVGA 1050 Ti and a Ryzen 1700? I would be using an m.2 NVME for boot drive.
I can fit all that inside the case easy, but technically according to PCpartpicker I will go over in wattage by 20 watts. I'm hoping those numbers are more for the safe side of things, and that it could be done without major issues unless I'm overclocking which I don't really intend to do.::much::
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I would bet my own money on it working, yes.

But I can't say for sure. I do know that a Ryzen 1600X with a 1050ti will work with that combo.

Last edited:
Reactions: royalba94

tomtom977

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
Jun 21, 2017
So I've been wandering what to do for a storage solution. I'd like to mount a slim fan behind my graphics card and consequently give up using the mounting bracket for the 2 x 2.5" drives. Would it be wise to pay for a whole TB of storage on an m.2 or would it be better to store games on an external drive and buy something like a 256GB m.2 drive? Is there a space in the case that someone managed to tuck away a 2.5" drive without using the mounting bracket? Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
Original poster
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
So I've been wandering what to do for a storage solution. I'd like to mount a slim fan behind my graphics card and consequently give up using the mounting bracket for the 2 x 2.5" drives. Would it be wise to pay for a whole TB of storage on an m.2 or would it be better to store games on an external drive and buy something like a 256GB m.2 drive? Is there a space in the case that someone managed to tuck away a 2.5" drive without using the mounting bracket? Anyone have any thoughts on the matter?

It's such a personal opinion. My personal opinion is spend your money on M.2 for your OS and productivity needs, and a NAS for your long term storage. Having a NAS is just so handy as it has way more uptime than our PCs and isn't always being rebuilt or upgraded :)

I haven't found a steam game yet that suffered from being on my NAS, but you could look at direct attached storage for your library. With thunderbolt and or USB 3.1 external drives make alot of sense.

M.2 has the added benefit of looking so much neater because it eliminates a ton of wires. I really hate 2.5" drives for use other than external portables :)

Peace and best of luck deciding!!!!

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
It's such a personal opinion. My personal opinion is spend your money on M.2 for your OS and productivity needs, and a NAS for your long term storage. Having a NAS is just so handy as it has way more uptime than our PCs and isn't always being rebuilt or upgraded :)

I haven't found a steam game yet that suffered from being on my NAS, but you could look at direct attached storage for your library. With thunderbolt and or USB 3.1 external drives make alot of sense.

M.2 has the added benefit of looking so much neater because it eliminates a ton of wires. I really hate 2.5" drives for use other than external portables :)

Peace and best of luck deciding!!!!
I agree with josh, I'd say either a nas or an external raid setup
which I guess you could still consider a nas if it has network capability

Last edited:

Creep

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 2, 2017
Outer case shell is currently being powder coated. Polling the forum: How many of your current GPUs have coil whine under load? Wonder if I should just forget about it or RMA it. I RMA'd my 970 Strix and it fixed it so I'm curious if I should do the same. I know it's normal, but it's honestly quite noticeable just a foot and a half from my face.

Haulien

Trash Compacter
Sep 28, 2016
Does the Gigabyte AB350N fit in the S4 mini? Any cable management issue?

I think you might have issues routing cables between the ram sticks and the HDPlex with that motherboard. If you're using a Pico PSU I think you should be fine however. Also That 8-pin connector, as well as the sata connectors aren't in ideal positions for routing cables to either.

Reactions: AleksandarK