NFC Systems S4 Mini #56

MrTiny

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 4, 2016
Everythings come in!

Have finished testing the CPU, ssd, and motherboard. Will be testing the PSU by the end of the week.

Parts list:

• FSP 200w 19v 10.53a 4 din pin external PSU
  • Crucial Ballistix Tactical 16 GB DDR4
  • Scythe Slip Stream Slim 120mm
  • Samsung 850 evo 500gb M.2
  • PicoPSU 4 din pin adapter
  • HDPlex 250w Hi-Fi Dc-atx
  • Gigabyte GA-H170N-WiFi
  • Thermolab ITX30
  • Intel i7 6700

Things left to do:
  • Sleeve and wire up 16 AWG motherboard, CPU, and 6 pin PCIE cables (also might offer this to those interested if they turn out well).
  • Test PSU & cables
  • Underclock and undervolt CPU (so i can run a better GPU)
  • Take much better pictures

Planning to upgrade to Polaris from integrated graphics when available.

Last edited:

MrTiny

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 4, 2016
Really tempted to purchase a different psu and heatsink. Everything else has already come in hahaha.

MrTiny

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 4, 2016
Been watching your thread for a while actually hahaha..

Though i didn't realize there is a watch thread toggle.

MrTiny

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 4, 2016
It's come!
Putting it together the next few days!

Build #56 is an LE

The power button doesn't want to go in..

Very happy with the quality

Tetris on steroids

Sorry about the really poor picture quality atm. The pictures don't do the case any justice.

Last edited:

MrTiny

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 4, 2016
Note;
Thermolab ITX30 + Scythe Slip Stream Slim 120mm x 120mm x 12mm fits perfectly together. There is also enough clearance to avoid turbulence noise. Will run temperature tests before underclocking the CPU to check the effectiveness of this combo in case anyone else is interested.

Last edited:

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Thanks for your business and for making a thread. I love these and it's why I do this!!!

I'm excited for some more photos of the LE powder...I'm debating holding onto one for myself because I love it so much.

Reactions: MrTiny

MrTiny

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 4, 2016
No problems! Love the case!!

No complaints whatsoever in quality; this thing is a beauty. Will likely pick up another one.

Curious; believe i heard somewhere you were designing a stand for this case?

Also, would you consider doing a custom order for an s3? Something about the idea of a slot load blueray player and decent graphics with these dimensions appeals to me.

Last edited:

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
The original S3 is what got me into wanting a slim Steam Machine like case. I think it would also be cool to see an S4 build where the case is modified to take a slim optical drive. The height for one is 13mm. Would it be possible to fit beside a graphics card?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
No problems! Love the case!!

No complaints whatsoever in quality; this thing is a beautiful. Will likely pick up another one.

Curious; believe i heard somewhere you were designing a stand for this case?

Also, would you consider doing a custom order for an s3? Something about the idea of a slot load blueray player and decent graphics with these dimensions appeals to me.

The original S3 is what got me into wanting a slim Steam Machine like case. I think it would also be cool to see an S4 build where the case is modified to take a slim optical drive. The height for one is 13mm. Would it be possible to fit beside a graphics card?

I am designing a stand, but I greatly underestimated the time I would need to spend on the S4 project and I haven't had time to look at manufacturing.

I could definitely bring back the S3 if there was a market for it...maybe if you could round up enough people for a short run I could come up with something with a slotload drive. You would have to nix the GPU or it would gain 13mm though!

MrTiny

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 4, 2016
I could definitely bring back the S3 if there was a market for it...maybe if you could round up enough people for a short run I could come up with something with a slotload drive. You would have to nix the GPU or it would gain 13mm though!
Hmmm.. I would be making use of m.2 drives instead of regular SSDs on all of mine. Could i request that much of the height to be left out?

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Hmmm.. I would be making use of m.2 drives instead of regular SSDs on all of mine. Could i request that much of the height to be left out?

Not really--the height is set by the 160 Pico XT height. The earlier versions were pretty slim. I might actually be able to round some of those up...

MrTiny

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 4, 2016
Awesome! Definitely interested!

Just finished testing the FSP 200w PSU and it has a very audible coil whine. Likely going to settle for using a PicoPSU 160XT and an r7 470.

MrTiny

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 4, 2016
Life is good!!

Managed to hit a max power draw of 43w from the i7 6700 at load! Might be able push it further, but have not done so yet. Have undervolted the chip stably, but haven't touched underclocking just yet.

Whole system so far has a max power draw of 68w(to the psu). A sub 200w VR capable system will be attainable(assuming Polaris can be lowered to <130w)! Very excited!

Last edited:

MarcParis

Spatial Philosopher
Apr 1, 2016
Life is good!!

Managed to hit a max power draw of 43w from the i7 6700 at load! Might be able push it further, but have not done so yet. Have undervolted the chip stably, but haven't touched underclocking just yet.

Whole system so far has a max power draw of 68w(to the psu). A sub 200w VR capable system will be attainable(assuming Polaris can be lowered to <130w)! Very excited!
Welcome to the undervolters club..:)

MrTiny

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 4, 2016
Tyvm!

Temps dropped from 67°C to 61°C @ load (30min). Can't comment on fan speeds due to a screw up on the fan monitoring software, though i will say it's imperceptible from 2 feet.

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est