Log NFC S4 Mini Classic S4MC #193 "Ant-Man" (7700k/1080mini) *7/11/2020 BRICKLESS 4.2L*

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Cuban you mind if I ask you how you mounted the HD Plex DC jack to the case with your GTX 1080 backplate still on? I modded the DC jack but had to remove the backplate. I am guess you clipped the rear grill is my guess somewhere?

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Cuban you mind if I ask you how you mounted the HD Plex DC jack to the case with your GTX 1080 backplate still on? I modded the DC jack but had to remove the backplate. I am guess you clipped the rear grill is my guess somewhere?
Good question bro. Josh sent me back my S4 Mini with the HDPLEX DC jack already modded/installed and my 1080mini already installed too, so I didn't cut the DC jack, he actually did it. But I did verify the mod he made to it...

And you can see the answer to how me modded it here in the 1080mini video at about 8 minutes, Josh just cut off a little peice of it:

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Good question bro. Josh sent me back my S4 Mini with the HDPLEX DC jack already modded/installed and my 1080mini already installed too, so I didn't cut the DC jack, he actually did it. But I did verify the mod he made to it...

And you can see the answer to how me modded it here in the 1080mini video at about 8 minutes, Josh just cut off a little peice of it:
Hmm I did this exact mod. Must have trimmed the wrong side or didn't remove enough on the HD Plex to fit the gpu board and the backplate board. Not a huge thing but I was curious. Mine barely has enough room just for the PCB on the gpu.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Hmm I did this exact mod. Must have trimmed the wrong side or didn't remove enough on the HD Plex to fit the gpu board and the backplate board. Not a huge thing but I was curious. Mine barely has enough room just for the PCB on the gpu.
Hmmm... I'll take a closer look at my DC jack and 1080mini once I'm home today and visually re-verify the cut. I'll try to get a picture too.

DocH

G4G
Apr 2, 2017
Hmmm... I'll take a closer look at my DC jack and 1080mini once I'm home today and visually re-verify the cut. I'll try to get a picture too.
That would be great thanks! I'm thinking he used the other side of the HD Plex and did a bigger chunk out of it than I did.

Reactions: CubanLegend

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
@CubanLegend do you think it'd be worth it to spend the extra cash ~50 or 60 bucks to get a 960 Evo m.2 over the 600p for gaming or save the money for use elsewhere like 16gb of ram instead of 8. I'm coming from 2 Samsung 850 Evo sata3 ssds.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
That would be great thanks! I'm thinking he used the other side of the HD Plex and did a bigger chunk out of it than I did.
Okay so i checked it out, no pictures to show you but he installed it with the PCB on the side not facing the motherboard, if that helped. Maybe he flipped it?

@CubanLegend do you think it'd be worth it to spend the extra cash ~50 or 60 bucks to get a 960 Evo m.2 over the 600p for gaming or save the money for use elsewhere like 16gb of ram instead of 8. I'm coming from 2 Samsung 850 Evo sata3 ssds.
600p should be fine. I have it as my boot drive and my CEMU drive, it's glorious. I'd move up to a Seagate SSHD Firecuda 2TB, its as fast as an SDD thanks to its built in cache.

W1NN1NG

King of Cable Management
Jan 19, 2017
I probably would if I was going into something other than a custommod mini but that's my chassis of choice so I'm looking at a price per performance m.2 if the mydigitalssd bpx was on sale for 200 still I'd go that route but sadly they aren't

AP2

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 1, 2017
Just wanted to throw this out there. I have the exact same setup and I struggled to keep my temps in check with the noctua cooler. I got this cooler Titan TTC-NC25/HS coupled with a 120 slim prolimatech vortex fan in the mail today and so far temps are much better. Haven't done any really testing, but it idles at 28 where as before I was getting 38-39. Gaming hits temp around 67-69.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
Just wanted to throw this out there. I have the exact same setup and I struggled to keep my temps in check with the noctua cooler. I got this cooler Titan TTC-NC25/HS coupled with a 120 slim prolimatech vortex fan in the mail today and so far temps are much better. Haven't done any really testing, but it idles at 28 where as before I was getting 38-39. Gaming hits temp around 67-69.
Whoa, that is BIG news! What CPU and GPU are you using in your S4 Mini with that cooler? Do you have a build thread where you'd posted more detailed before/after temperatures?

What motherboard do you have? In which direction did you mount the heatsink? Do you have pictures of this setup, how's the noise compared to the NHL9i you had previously?

Reactions: zovc

AP2

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 1, 2017
Sorry I don't have a build thread, but my setup is identical to your except the ssds are the older Samsung 950s.

I'll try and get some pics tonight after i so some testing. The CPU cooler takes up the whole CPU socket footprint. You the top half of the heat sinks on the NVMe, but I don't think it matters much since you have 120mm fan blowing directly on it.

As far as noises go, it's quieter. The cooler is capable of cooling 130tdp so im running the 7700k with stock voltage.

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
Sorry I don't have a build thread, but my setup is identical to your except the ssds are the older Samsung 950s.

I'll try and get some pics tonight after i so some testing. The CPU cooler takes up the whole CPU socket footprint. You the top half of the heat sinks on the NVMe, but I don't think it matters much since you have 120mm fan blowing directly on it.

As far as noises go, it's quieter. The cooler is capable of cooling 130tdp so im running the 7700k with stock voltage.

+1 would love to see the pics.
Has your 7700K been de-lidded?

Reactions: zovc

AP2

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 1, 2017
I'll take pics tonight. This is a stock 7700k that has not been delidded.

Just a note, the temps are with the case fully closed

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
HMMMM. and you have the same motherboard as me? the ASUs z270i? Did you have to remove the heatsinks on the mosfetts of the motherboard to fit the heatsink? I'll wait for photos. :)
S

Okay thats good news that it's quieter. and I dont mind it covering the top M.2 either. Great news.

I'll take pics tonight. This is a stock 7700k that has not been delidded.

Just a note, the temps are with the case fully closed
so 28c on a 7700k at 4.2GHz? what happens when you turn on turboboost and the 7700k sits at 4.5GHz, stock vcore? does the idle temp rise? 28c is SUPER LOW, what is your ambient temp in your room?

Cuban is that better than your temps with the lp53?
yeah 28c is amazing. In my room under a perfect 21c ambient temp, I woul dhave my 7700k at 4.5GHz at stock vcore (with turboboost) idling at 34-35c... with the LP53 after the delid... WOW We need to really @AP2 to make a build thread so everyone can talk about it there. :D I'm excited!

SkudShark

Average Stuffer
Apr 2, 2017
Also may want to confirm running Prime 95, I think he said he got to 67-69 while gaming. I was hitting 70-73 with stock Noctua cooler and Noctua fan running prime, which should be way more stressful than gaming. If regular gaming gets close to the Noctua cooler, it may not do well with Prime.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
STAGE4: Post Build Mods & Additions:
  • [PART 2] SSD's w/Black Gaffer's Tape & CPU HSF Duct Test in post #57

So I wanted to stop seeing the green/metal backside of my SSD/SSHD through my S4 Mini's side panel, since from where I sit and can see my S4 mini on my desk very clearly, So i decided to get some black GAFFER'S TAPE!

Also I wanted to try a CPU HSF Fan duct using Gaffer's Tape, that I saw someone else do in their DAN-A4, to see if it would help with my S4 Mini... before and after pics and temp results below!

I know it doesn't look perfect, I didn't have wide enough Gaffer's Tape so i did it in parts:

And it looked like this installed in the S4 Mini:

Then I also decided to try out making a fan duct for my LP53/A9x14-PWM out of Gaffer's tape... here's the Before:

and the AFTER:

TEMPS: My temps went UP by 1-2c, sadly. So the fan duct didn't help at all and in fact hurt my temps... So i ended up removing it.

NOISE: My noise from the CPU fan actually went UP, probably because there was now this little channel for the fan to resonate more loudly inside of... so yeah it was slightly louder, and since my 1080 mini is whisper quiet and near-inaudible, this made the CPu fan sound WAY louder.

Last edited:

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I would ultimately expect the ducts to reduce temps. I could see it going either way, and it's possible there's a more rigorous way of testing(?) but to me it seems like you're restricting the amount of cool air you can pull in from outside the case--I wouldn't be surprised if a duct like this would actually increase the amount of noise you make, too!

I'm also really excited to hear more about this cooler AP2 is sporting, and--for what it's worth--Cryorig did have their all-copper C7 at Computex. They're all still samples, I think, but supposedly the C7 is the most likely to make it to market.

CubanLegend

Steely-Eyed NVFlash Man
Original poster
Dec 23, 2016
smallformfactor.net
I would ultimately expect the ducts to reduce temps. I could see it going either way, and it's possible there's a more rigorous way of testing(?) but to me it seems like you're restricting the amount of cool air you can pull in from outside the case--I wouldn't be surprised if a duct like this would actually increase the amount of noise you make, too!

I'm also really excited to hear more about this cooler AP2 is sporting, and--for what it's worth--Cryorig did have their all-copper C7 at Computex. They're all still samples, I think, but supposedly the C7 is the most likely to make it to market.
Exactly, it might need better testing... like with a cardboard duct or better material or a different duct design..., but im satisfied with my CPU temps right now so i took off the duct and im back to normal. :)

And ever since I put on the black tape, all I really need to finish off the dark/black look if for Noctua to make a grey Redux styled version of the A9x14 :D this computer is whisper quiet, dark as all hell in my pitch black theater room, so much so that I MIGHT even unplug the ZOTAC 1080 mini's LED header, since thats actually the BRIGHTEST light in my system when viewing it from the top. XD Oh and the motherboard's amber LED that always on when everything is okay, is also quite bright but its not a nuisance, but I don't say i thought about covering it with a small square of gaffers tape to go for the truly stealth look! XD

And yes about that cooler that @AP2 mentioned, I hope he makes his build thread and posts some pics of it so we can really dig deep into what his setup was and how he tested. :)