New here with a big question about SFF cases

Hi all I'll keep my introduction brief. I've been researching parts to build my own SFF machine, don't need GPU but need optical drive for dual purpose use as home theater pc. I've been trying to figure out why there isn't a better selection of SFF cases in the form factor and size of the Lenovo Neo 50S, or the new Dell Optiplex SFF machines? These are much more space efficient than anything else I've seen from the aftermarket case makers. Am I missing something?

Would I be making a mistake in buying a slightly used Lenovo Neo 50S compared to building my own system around a B660 mobo and i5-12400?

Gidilo

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2022
here are the cases I could find with quick research:
-LC-Power LC-1405MB
-LC-Power LC-1404MB
-Sharkoon Shark Zone C10
-Chieftec UNI BT-02B-U3
-Inter-Tech MI-008
-Chieftec UNI BT-02B-U3

but apart from 12th gen intel I see nothing wrong with starting pre-built

Gidilo

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2022
-LC-Power LC-1405MB
-LC-Power LC-1404MB
-Sharkoon Shark Zone C10
-Chieftec UNI BT-02B-U3
-Inter-Tech MI-008
-Chieftec UNI BT-02B-U3

Forgot the fractal core 500

Gidilo

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2022
-LC-Power LC-1405MB
-LC-Power LC-1404MB
-Sharkoon Shark Zone C10
-Chieftec UNI BT-02B-U3
-Inter-Tech MI-008
-Chieftec UNI BT-02B-U3

sorry for the spam.
there's also the VSK2000-U3 from Antec.
Depending on how much time you're willing to invest you could also mod a DeskMEET X600 to take your optical drive

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Welcome to the forum !

Be sure to read up on the terms and rules of the forum. Mainly for buying and selling or other commercial activity on the forum as the access is limited and the rules are strictly enforced.

As a new user you're probably not able to edit posts or links just yet, so if a substantial error was made, click the Report-button in the post.

Hope to see you around, enjoy the wonderful world of SFF !

vinnyoflegend

Average Stuffer
Mar 18, 2022
If you're ok with slim ODD then consider Inwin cases as well as they can take MATX + flex PSU

With TFX PSU, they have a line that fits 5.25 size drives

mikemaestlin

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Aug 6, 2024
Thank you for the excellent replies! Great forum I'm glad to find it.

Is there something wrong with the 12th Gen Intel chips where I should choose something different? Not a computer newb but I have been out of the loop for several years on modern hardware so I'm trying to get up to speed.

As for the VSK2000, I have looked at that one however it's quite a bit larger than the prebuilts I mentioned (new Optiplex SFF and Lenovo Neo 50S in particular).

Gidilo

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2022
Thank you for the excellent replies! Great forum I'm glad to find it.

Is there something wrong with the 12th Gen Intel chips where I should choose something different? Not a computer newb but I have been out of the loop for several years on modern hardware so I'm trying to get up to speed.

As for the VSK2000, I have looked at that one however it's quite a bit larger than the prebuilts I mentioned (new Optiplex SFF and Lenovo Neo 50S in particular).
It just runs pretty hot for not much performance, especially compared to the last few Ryzen generations.
If you want really small you can go with the Apex MW-100 with an hdplex. There's a build with said case here

Otherwise just look on pcpartpicker what meets your taste

mikemaestlin

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Aug 6, 2024
It just runs pretty hot for not much performance, especially compared to the last few Ryzen generations.
If you want really small you can go with the Apex MW-100 with an hdplex. There's a build with said case here

Otherwise just look on pcpartpicker what meets your taste
That's awesome! The only thing is that I need to fit both an optical drive AND a 3.5" internal HDD, either with mITX or mATX board.

mikemaestlin

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Aug 6, 2024
-LC-Power LC-1405MB
-LC-Power LC-1404MB
-Sharkoon Shark Zone C10
-Chieftec UNI BT-02B-U3
-Inter-Tech MI-008
-Chieftec UNI BT-02B-U3

Do you think the Lenovo is a good prebuilt to start with, the Neo 50S? It is a great size however I wonder about future upgrades because of the proprietary parts and it even looks like the back i/o panel is built in to the case and not a standard i/o shield.

Gidilo

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2022
Do you think the Lenovo is a good prebuilt to start with, the Neo 50S? It is a great size however I wonder about future upgrades because of the proprietary parts and it even looks like the back i/o panel is built in to the case and not a standard i/o shield.
The problem is that it takes only proprietary motherboards so upgrading is basically impossible without a few case mods. The dell inspirion sff desktop is better in that regard.
Here are the sff cases that support both optical and 3,5“ drives:

mikemaestlin

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
New User
Aug 6, 2024
Any experience with the InWin CE685 with built-in 300W PSU? I know this is going to sound strange, but the reason I have an attraction to factory built SFF cases is that their power buttons have a higher quality feel and overall give a higher impression of quality. How does the InWin and the other suggestions above compare in that way?

Gidilo

Chassis Packer
Nov 23, 2022
InWin makes good quality cases but I personally have no experience with any of the mentioned cases. But be sure to search the forum for other's impressions. (Also an aftermarket power button is really easy to install and exists in infinite colours, materials, sizes etc)