News New GPU hybrid with radiator in PCIe by Asetek

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Do you have a product page or some other info? Can't gleam too much from that one Imgur photo, but I like the concept!

Reactions: AseDen

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com

scatterforce

Master of Cramming
May 21, 2018
This is a neat product. Can you use the cooler with a custom full water block? If you can get the GPU to a single slot + this cooler, then you could use this in something like the M case N1

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
This is a neat product. Can you use the cooler with a custom full water block? If you can get the GPU to a single slot + this cooler, then you could use this in something like the M case N1
The pump is located on the GPU, so that wouldn't be a likely use case. However, we might look in to more application of the radiator form factor in the future :)

Reactions: scatterforce

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
When I saw the product, I was glad to see something innovative in regards to fitting radiators. But I can't think of any reason this would perform better than a decent air-cooled GPU. Because it seems to make a GPU occupy 4 to 5 slots and uses a single blower fan for a small radiator, which basically is a pump, tubing and water over a traditional air-cooled blower fan card.

rcradiator

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 23, 2018
I suppose for Cerberus X users, it's a win win situation. GPU heat gets dumped out the back (important in a case with relatively poor exhaust), and the space under the GPU gets filled for those people who use an ATX board with only a single GPU. Plus it kinda looks like a mismatched SLI setup.

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
When I saw the product, I was glad to see something innovative in regards to fitting radiators. But I can't think of any reason this would perform better than a decent air-cooled GPU. Because it seems to make a GPU occupy 4 to 5 slots and uses a single blower fan for a small radiator, which basically is a pump, tubing and water over a traditional air-cooled blower fan card.

So actually it does perform significantly better than a traditional blower GPU (as referenced by Alienware's own in-house testing).

The reason being that normally the single blower fan would have to cool VRM, Vram and GPU die. However, using the Rad Card the traiditional blower can run at lower RPM and still cool Vram and VRM plenty. Meanwhile the AIO will grab all the heat from the GPU die, and transfer it into the Rad Card radiator, which is then cooled by another blower, which also doesn't need to run at full force. :)

Reactions: Phuncz

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
So actually it does perform significantly better than a traditional blower GPU (as referenced by Alienware's own in-house testing).

The reason being that normally the single blower fan would have to cool VRM, Vram and GPU die. However, using the Rad Card the traiditional blower can run at lower RPM and still cool Vram and VRM plenty. Meanwhile the AIO will grab all the heat from the GPU die, and transfer it into the Rad Card radiator, which is then cooled by another blower, which also doesn't need to run at full force. :)
I think this could be an interesting custom-loop solution in some cases like the NCase M1. Lots of folks are putting a TX240 radiator with slim fans in the bottom of the M1, and using a 1-slot GPU under a waterblock with this below it might actually perform better. Is the radiator you're using Aluminum or Copper?

rfarmer

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jul 7, 2017
I think this could be an interesting custom-loop solution in some cases like the NCase M1. Lots of folks are putting a TX240 radiator with slim fans in the bottom of the M1, and using a 1-slot GPU under a waterblock with this below it might actually perform better. Is the radiator you're using Aluminum or Copper?
It hasn't been mentioned but I have a feeling they are using a PCI slot to power the pump of the radiator unit, or at least as part of the mounting. So using this in a Ncase or similiar with an itx motherboard isn't going to work.

Reactions: Phuncz

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
Seems to me that if the chassis is large enough to support four PCIe slots, then it probably has a 120mm fan slot over the rear I/O, perfect for a 120mm AIO for a 'standard' hybrid cooled GPU...?

As for use with a single-slot full-cover water block, I guess that depends on where the pump is; if it is part of the GPU water block then a no go, but if the pump is in the radiator unit then a SSFCWB (Single-Slot Full-Cover Water Block) might work...!

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
It hasn't been mentioned but I have a feeling they are using a PCI slot to power the pump of the radiator unit, or at least as part of the mounting. So using this in a Ncase or similiar with an itx motherboard isn't going to work.

The PCI slot is merely used to attach the radiator to something solid. We are looking into ways of actually using the connection, though. DIY upgrade solutions is also something we're looking at.

Technically this technology doesn't have to be attached to the PCIe - it could be moved anywhere in the case in the same format. The reason it is PCIe is that this is initially being adopted by Alienware, and the only available space in their cases, is a PCIe slot :)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
I would be interested in seeing this torn down, as the design of the radiator itself interests me. A very thick but narrow rad like that seems like an excellent way to fit a radiator where it otherwise couldn't fit, and an excellent use for the main strength of blower fans (static pressure). I could see bespoke case designs making excellent use of a couple of these radiators for some very compact custom loops, though the amount of design and fabrication involved would of course be significant.

HottestVapes

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
While a novel idea with some upsides to it, I really don't see a use for this outside of OEM machines.
Which is fine seeing as it's purpose built for an Alienware machine afterall. It's just not very exciting from a DIY builder perspective.

Reactions: riba2233

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
I would be interested in seeing this torn down, as the design of the radiator itself interests me. A very thick but narrow rad like that seems like an excellent way to fit a radiator where it otherwise couldn't fit, and an excellent use for the main strength of blower fans (static pressure). I could see bespoke case designs making excellent use of a couple of these radiators for some very compact custom loops, though the amount of design and fabrication involved would of course be significant.
Alphacool has something similar (2 x 40mm). If we can imagine like 2 or 3 times this little dude inside the plastic cover, the tubing, the blower and you're all set up.

Last edited:

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Alphacool has something similar (2 x 40mm). If we can imagine like 2 or 3 times this little dude inside the plastic cover, the tubing, the blower and you're all set up.

Similar, yes, but I would imagine a rather different port and tank layout. This does after all use up quite a large portion of its volume on being "cross-flow".

AseDen

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Asetek
Dec 7, 2018
www.asetek.com
it's similar, yet it isn't :)
The Alphacool solution is similar (identical in form factor) to our 1U server radiators :)

There will be a few reviews coming soon(ish) from UFD Tech and Greg Salazar.

Reactions: Phuncz and Valantar