New Gaming Build, Need Some Advice

Thax13

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 7, 2019
Hi folks,

I realize this is another build advice question, so I'm sorry in advance for bothering you fine people. I'm just a little confused about some of the part combinations that I had planned for my dan case build.

I'll be soon receiving my Alienware 34 inch Curved Gaming Monitor (AW3418DW) that can run at 3440 x 1440 resolution @ 120Hz. Yes, I'm finally making the plunge into ultra widescreen gaming.

In order to run this beast, I was eyeing some of the new rtx 2080 cards (my old system's still rocking a 980 TI). From what I've recently read (from a post made in the last few days), the MSI rtx 2080 Ventus card (not overclocked) actually fits in the case, and I'm a big fan of MSI. I'm also planning to use the Corsair SF600 Platinum rated power supply.

As for CPU, I was eyeing the i7-9700k with a Noctua NH-L9I for cooling (not the best, but fits the case and is quiet). Ths will all sit on an ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-i gaming motherboard.

So, here are my questions/concerns. Is this even possible, or is this going to overheat very easily? As well, is it possible to make this a relatively quiet system? I don't want it to be loud...I've had systems like that sound like a jet engine and they drive me crazy. Finally, is the SF600 sufficient for this, or am I going to run into problems at full load?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited:

Desertf0x9

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Oct 13, 2018
Your going to be really limited by that cooler choice but you may make a fan duct and that should improve things. You may want to consider the blackridge once they fix their manufacturing. If you limit your tdp to 95 and undervolt it should be ok for gaming. I'm running a SF600 for my 9900k and 2080 ti so the power supply is enough power. Honestly going to be tough to make it quiet and run cool. You may want to get a blower style card cause it'll work better in this case, but those are loud as heck as well.

Last edited:

Thax13

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 7, 2019
Thanks so much for your response, Desertf0x9.

I do value a relatively quiet system, so I gues this won't be possible. Is there any way of adding extra fans into the case to help with airflow? As for the fan duct, I've see a few posts with it, but I'm pretty sure that's not something I could easily do.

Would switching to a lower i7 processer help at all? Or is the GPU the problem? As I mentioned, I need a pretty beefy card to drive the ultra widescreen monitor, so I'm not sure how to proceed.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited:

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Maybe if you ran something similar to the ZS-A4 which has dual 92mm intake on the bottom you could get better temps. Otherwise I agree with every point made by @Desertf0x9 .

Cooling a K SKU chip with an L9I is going to be tough to manage those temps without undervolting. I ran a FE GTX 1070 in the ZS-A4 and in that scenario the two 92mm intake made a huge difference for both CPU and GPU. But again I was running a total of 234 W TDP vs 345 W TDP.

I wish I had a better photo with the side panel off. I swapped the 14mm fan on the L9I with a 92mm x 25mm fan and it made a big difference.

Thax13

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 7, 2019
Thanks for your reply, FoskcoRS5.

I guess I'm going to have to rethink this. I'm wondering if a lower i7 chip would be better. I hear that MSI is coming out with an RTX 2070 small form factor card - I wonder if that would help. They announced it back in November and still no word on when it'll be available (especially since I'm in Canada, and it takes forever for anything to show up here).

The other idea is maybe go for another case, like the M1. I had originally ordered the Louqe ghost s1 case, but cancelled when I got worried over quality control issues and shipping dates. Not sure that case would make a difference here.

Thanks again to both of you.

FoskcoRS5

Designated LMG
Jan 31, 2017
Thanks for your reply, FoskcoRS5.

I guess I'm going to have to rethink this. I'm wondering if a lower i7 chip would be better. I hear that MSI is coming out with an RTX 2070 small form factor card - I wonder if that would help. They announced it back in November and still no word on when it'll be available (especially since I'm in Canada, and it takes forever for anything to show up here).

The other idea is maybe go for another case, like the M1. I had originally ordered the Louqe ghost s1 case, but cancelled when I got worried over quality control issues and shipping dates. Not sure that case would make a difference here.

Thanks again to both of you.
You wouldn’t have an issue in the M1 with the hardware in your original configuration. The M1 takes a much wider variety of CPU coolers that can handle the 9700K, possibly even with an OC.

My buddy has an EVGA 1080ti (FTW3 I think) in his and it runs warm but well within spec enough to utilize its OC profile from EVGA without modifying power target or anything.

You wouldn’t need a smaller card in the M1 either.

Thax13

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jan 7, 2019
Thanks again, guys.

I think I may try the M1 case then, with my original components. I'm guessing the Noctua NH-U9S might be a better choice for that situation. I hope I can get that build to be relatively quiet.