New Build - 8700K (Delidded) + 2080FE

Ribsnbacon

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
I am very excited to be starting my first ever PC build (in the Dan A4v3). I have spent the past month researching and planning but I want to make sure I am not overlooking anything as I move forward.

The primary use of this machine is gaming (~70%). The secondary use is to run statistics packages (Stata and R, ~30%) to analyze small-medium sized datasets (max 25GB). Lastly, I plan to do a very small amount of 4K video editing (<1%).

My part list can be found at the bottom of this post.

I spent some time looking through existing threads on this forum and elsewhere, but I still have a few questions:
  1. Biggest concern: I know that an 8700K (delidded) is going to run hot in the Dan case...is the Cryorig C7 my best option here, or should I go with the Cooltek LP53 + a Noctua fan, or maybe the Alpenföhn Black Ridge once the revised version is released on April 4th? I may add the Asetek 645LT down the road, but I would prefer to stay with air cooling as I plan to travel a fair bit with this case. I am aware I may need to set "Max Long Power Duration" to 95W as Dan has suggested in countless other threads.

2. I chose the ASRock Z390 Phantom ITX after reading a few reviews, is this the best motherboard for my build, or is there another option out there I should consider?

3. Are case fans necessary? I can't imagine they improve thermals by a considerable amount because they are located at the bottom of the case which has so little clearance.

4. Does anyone have experience installing taller feet on the bottom of the case? It seems that such a modification might improve the thermals (similar to flipping the case as some have suggested elsewhere).

5. I would like to be able to upgrade from my existing monitor (4k, 60Hz) to a 1440p 144Hz ultrawide in the future, it looks like I can handle that with my components, but is that resolution going to push my thermals into a bad range?
Part List
(Purchased Components Italicized)
  • Motherboard---ASRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX AC
  • CPU-----------------Intel i7-8700K (Delidded)
  • Graphics Card--Nvidia 2080 FE
  • RAM----------------Corsair Vengeance LPX (16GB, 3200MHz)
  • Storage------------Samsung 970 Evo Plus (1TB)
  • Power Supply---Corsair SF600 Platinum
  • CPU Cooler------Cryorig C7
  • Case Fan #1-----(Below Power Supply) Noctua NF-A9
  • Case Fan #2-----(Below Motherboard) Noctua A9x14

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I would go with the Noctua L9i or a Thermolap LP53 with Noctua A9x14 on a delidded 8700k. The reason is, the C7 is very loud because it comes close to the side panel.

I bought myself a 2080 FE and I will send it back to Nvidia because the card is very loud on idle. The fan's are designed to spin with 1500rpm in IDLE and also with fan control software you can't go lower. I would go with MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ventus 8G (non OC edition because it is dual slot), Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Windforce 8G or EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Black Edition Gaming.

2. It is a good board but also a cheaper board (MSI H310I Pro) will work very well because you can't overclock.
3. The fan under the board will help to reduce mosfet and ssd temps, but it is not necessary.
4. It will only help if you use a 92mm AIO
5. The generated heat will be the same

Ribsnbacon

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
Dan, thanks for the reply.

I would go with the Noctua L9i or a Thermolap LP53 with Noctua A9x14 on a delidded 8700k. The reason is, the C7 is very loud because it comes close to the side panel.
Great! I originally wanted to go with the Noctua L9i (especially because the Chromax version is due Q2), but I was concerned about the its cooling ability.

Do you have an opinion on the Alpenföhn Black Ridge—I know the revised version is not out yet, but do you expect it to perform better than the Noctua L9i? My research was inconclusive as I could not tell how much of the variation in performance, as documented by end users, was due to defective units vs. design. It seems like its design should make it the most effective air cooler available for the A4.

I bought myself a 2080 FE and I will send it back to Nvidia because the card is very loud on idle. The fan's are designed to spin with 1500rpm in IDLE and also with fan control software you can't go lower. I would go with MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ventus 8G (non OC edition because it is dual slot), Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Windforce 8G or EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Black Edition Gaming.

I did some research on noise prior to buying the card and was not too concerned. According to GamersNexus and AnandTech, the RTX 2080 FE idles somewhere between 34.8dBA and 40.1dBA, which does not seem very loud. Maybe I am just less sensitive to noise, or maybe it is louder in the A4 (possibly due to more turbulence from the proximity of the card to the side panel of the case)?

Last edited:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I tested it without side panel attached. My old card 1070 FE is inoudible while the 2080 FE get on my nerves. The most funny thing is without driver installed the 2080 fe is very silent, but after the driver is loaded you will have 1500rpm on two 92mm fans. This can't be silent.

J-R

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2019
I was able to change the feet of the case by a taller one (enough height to add an additional 92mm slim fan. Got an 8700k and delidded as well. Running 4.7 at 1.23v Never hit 70° in most games except bfv which goes up to low 70s. But I swap it again as it looks horrible. Maybe if you can find some good footing for the case that could be a good option. As the one I got is made from plastic and can be bought from a local hardware store.

Ribsnbacon

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
I was able to change the feet of the case by a taller one (enough height to add an additional 92mm slim fan. Got an 8700k and delidded as well. Running 4.7 at 1.23v Never hit 70° in most games except bfv which goes up to low 70s. But I swap it again as it looks horrible. Maybe if you can find some good footing for the case that could be a good option. As the one I got is made from plastic and can be bought from a local hardware store.

Thanks for the input.

What CPU cooler are you using?

I was considering adding taller feet mainly to help exhaust air from the bottom exhaust port on the RTX2080 (below is a picture illustrating the problem with the RTX FE cards in the Dan case).

Ideally, I would be able to 3d print an exhaust channel to redirect air from the RTX2080's bottom exhaust port up to the top of the case. A reddit user came up with idea and documented better performance by simply taping the bottom exhaust port (his illustration of the exhaust channel is below).

J-R

Caliper Novice
Mar 2, 2019
in my case, I was able to add 80x10mm fan on the bottom inside the case, and on top you can mount 2 40x10mm fans, would not suggest placing 40mm fan as it is pretty useless even if you place two together,and there is no way you can squeeze a 92mm even an 80mm on top, the gpu riser is blocking it. you might want to get the shorter pci riser as it will allow you to place a fan on the bottom. I'm using the 545 aio. tried the C7 copper but still runs a bit hot even at stock clock. some can add 92mm noctua fan on the bottom of the case, but I guess it depends on the board that you used. z370i rog strix doesn't allow me to add 92mm on the bottom, so the only option I got is an 80x10, it does not push a lot of air but way better than the 40mm. my evga 1080ti sc2 did not have any massive temp reduction even after placing the fan on the bottom. probably 1-2 degree difference.