Need help with Win10 install on USB

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I posted on some other sites but wanted to see if any of you guys have an idea as well......

I have a working USB drive (works on 2 other PC) with Win10 installation setup on it. Trying to boot on a Gigabyte B85n Phoenix board leaves me stuck on the motherboard splash screen for amount one minute before it reboots. Unplugged all USB devices except drive and it still happens. Also reset BIOS by unplugging the battery for a minute. Any ideas? I have two things show up in boot options (besides the msata drive), both are Samsung USB drive and one is listed as UEFI.

Someone suggest I do this:
  • Make sure all USB and Storage Function is Enable.
  • change windows 8 features to Windows 8 WHQL (its on the BIOS features tab)
  • check the Boot mode selection is set to UEFI & Legacy (its the default)
  • Storage boot option might need to be UEFI First (I am not sure)
Did that but still have the issue.
I've had this motherboard for about a year and a half and done numerous installs from USB, the only thing I changed recently is install a new mSATA drive (I had an mSATA installed about 6 months ago) Could be from msata drive which is new? I removed it and tried again but was also stuck.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
Here are two things to try investigating:

How did you make your Windows 10 USB stick? Did you just dump the files or copy them over from an .iso file? Did you use a utility? Personally, I use rufus to make all of my boot-able media and any time I have a proper image file it works when other methods may fail.

Try turning UEFI or "secure boot" OFF, as sometimes this will prevent you from booting from anything besides the one specific thing the computer wants to (which may or may not be present, this is usually a previous Windows 8+ installation).

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
i used Rufus. The USB works on other PC's, just not this specific one (and I used the same method many times in the past to install on this exact same PC, so unsure why it suddenly doesnt work). I'll try the Secure Boot off. I think it already is off though.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
I had trouble too using a USB stick to load Win 10 on my HP H61 system. Secure Boot needing turning off and then the USB stick showed up as a legacy bootable device.
This was a frustrating exercise, as I bought a bare board used with no documentation. Although UEFI, it was old school BIOS style with few accessible options and no documentation.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
Yeah, I didn't recreation the install USB because it works on multiple other PCs but I am running out of things to check on this PC so I may have to try that. Reset BIOS twice.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
used the media tool to create a new USB. Now the motherboard has no video when displaying from the board >.<

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Are you forcing it to boot through the "boot menu" Fxx key at startup ? I've had systems that wouldn't boot the USB stick even though all BIOS settings were correct for it to boot that way, but after forcing it to boot from the USB stick solved it. I've also had some USB sticks that would boot Windows installers and some that wouldn't.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I would rule out the USB if it wasn't working on other systems. This is the only one it doesnt, and I've used this USB on this motherboard before so not sure what got changed.

Also, tried through boot menu and also configuring BIOS. Both have same result.
I'll double check the on board video, I don't think it's set to off. I hear the monitor ding like its got a signal when i turn the PC on but no video displays out.

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
No video issue fixed. Started PC. Unplugged HDMI. Plugged back in. Works.

Fixed USB boot issue. Unplugged USB drive and keyboard and replugged in USB 3.0 ports. Works.

Reactions: Phuncz and EdZ

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com

Reactions: Phuncz and jeshikat

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I had an issue recently when I stopped using a discrete GPU and tried to go integrated. My laptop controller board is hooked directly to my 12V line via molex connector, so the display doesn't turn on until I start the PC. I was having issues where the PC wouldn't detect the display because it hadn't finished.. powering on or whatever. If I plugged it into a TV HDMI to start it worked fine, and even if I went from the TV to the laptop display controller board.. just not starting with it on. I managed to fix it by updating the BIOS and VGA drivers and it went away. Very annoying.

Neil_Hines

Efficiency Noob
Oct 21, 2017
I had an issue recently when I stopped using a discrete GPU and tried to go integrated. My laptop controller board is hooked directly to my 12V line via molex connector, so the display doesn't turn on until I start the PC. I was having issues where the PC wouldn't detect the display because it hadn't finished.. powering on or whatever. If I plugged it into a TV HDMI to start it worked fine, and even if I went from the TV to the laptop display controller board.. just not starting with it on. I managed to fix it by updating the BIOS and VGA drivers and it went away. Very annoying.

Correct Friend before I also facing the issue about it after I update the BIOS then finally I solve the issue and still, I'm using without any issue. And don't know why he can't solve the issue if he doesn't have any issue in BIOS. :confused: