Need help ASRock B450 itx Optical out issue

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
So, I've been having a issue with my optical out connection with my ASRock B450 itx.

I have it hooked up to my Marantz Sr5009 receiver. And I go between my TV audio and Receiver Audio by switching it via task bar.

But, Sometimes the audio comes out distorted horribly "screeching". Swapping from TV back to Optical does not fix the issue. Turning the receiver off and on does not fix it ether. Neither does turning the amplifiers on and off. Nether does closing the application and retrying.

The only thing that fixes it is rebooting the PC. And it seems to always work just fine. So, I am almost positive the computer itself is sending the data corrupted. And Rebooting resets it.

Any suggestions? It's really annoying and I don't want it to damage my speaker or amplifiers.

smitty2k1

King of Cable Management
Dec 3, 2016
Probably unrelated but i was having all sorts of strange issues with my ASRock B450 itx and finally figured out the CMOS battery was dead. Replacing that fixed all the issues.

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
UPDATE: So I did report it to ASRock and they just issued me a RMA. Which I didn't ask for. As I really was hoping for a fix rather than a replacement.

I took someones advice and tried the 3.5MM audio jack and that seemed to work. As it never screeches anymore.
But, I noticed rarely when I boot up I simply get no audio. And still requires a reboot to get the audio fixed on.

Like i said these issues happen very rarely. And ONLY happens when booting up. Like it just doesn't turn the audio chip set on or something.

If there is a means to fix I would much rather try that. Heck , I don't even know if I can do the RMA anymore sense I waited 2 months now....

My BIOs is ver 1.70
And I did see the BIOs now has 3.40 available. Would a BiOs update be worth a try?

LeDelmo

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Original poster
Sep 6, 2018
BTW, I forgot to update this thread. Kinda surprised no buddy thought of this. I reinstalled the Realtek Driver and everything has been working perfectly.

So if anyone has this problem in the future try to uninstall your driver and reinstall it.

Jungstar

Minimal Tinkerer
Nov 13, 2019
Crazy, that AsRock did not suggest to reinstall drivers before RMA'ing the board.

Also, remember that you (should) be getting MUCH better sound using the optical out as you are then using the DAC in the receiver. Also, you are free from static from the motherboard.