Need a SFF build (mini STX?)

wonkas_willy

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
I was recently looking to build a HTPC, going with the mini ITX size, until I recently learned about mini computers. This will strictly be used for heavy internet usage (uploading/downloading/viewing photos) and watching 4K movies/videos with no gaming. There was a little 4x4x2 "barebone" system on newegg, but I really know little about these form factors, the parts available for them, and how up gradable they are if the time ever came for it.

I don't really have a budget but I'm not trying to go for a 1080 build or anything like that.

Any help would be appreciated

Day VReamer

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 20, 2018
www.youtube.com
Something like the deskmini 110 can take a decent enough CPU and up to 32gb of ram. The only thing with these mini computers (usually mini stx or smaller) can’t take a graphics card without doing some weird and wonderful things with m.2 to 4xpcie or external graphics card docks. All of those options would make the case requirements much bigger and more of an awkward setup. You can get some tiny mini itx cases which would allow graphics cards to be installed easily if needed.

If you can live without a gpu, potentially forever something like a deskmini 110 is a decent option. If you might want a graphics card either initially or later on I wouldn’t bother with external docks/adapters etc, I’d just go for a mini itx setup/case.

wonkas_willy

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Since I won't be gaming, I don't think a GPU would be necessary for what I want but, I'm not 100% sure. What are some of the smaller ITX cases that are out there?

That deskmini looks pretty good though

Last edited:

wonkas_willy

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
Nov 10, 2018
Thanks guys. The cases alone are more than the mini pc, so I'll probably just go that route.

@cleveland, if I do decide to wait for the MB, I'd still need a case for it. Are there inexpensive (below $100) STX cases available? If not, could I just get a barebone computer for now and just swap out the motherboard in the future if I decide to do that?