Log Neath's Rigs: Too many different builds!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
That's a really nice build! Love how packed it is, and that cooler looks like it was made for that case. I doubt I would tolerate that many ball bearing-equipped fans in my case (heck, I got rid of my three Gentle Typhoons because they were grindy at low RPMs, and you have ... what, 3x as many? I'd probably go with Arctic P12/P14s. Still, I can only imagine how well this cools. Nicely done!

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
That's a really nice build! Love how packed it is, and that cooler looks like it was made for that case. I doubt I would tolerate that many ball bearing-equipped fans in my case (heck, I got rid of my three Gentle Typhoons because they were grindy at low RPMs, and you have ... what, 3x as many? I'd probably go with Arctic P12/P14s. Still, I can only imagine how well this cools. Nicely done!
Thanks mate! It really does look like everything is packed into the case, but not super squeezed for space.

The Thermalright FC140 looks and cools great. Actually, it might be because the fans are new, they don't raelly have a grinding sound at low RPM. Or maybe my ears are going deaf in combination with the high noise ceiling of the room. It seems like there's construction or renovations happening with my neighbours. Well, that's what happens when you pack families into apartments in close proximity, but I digress.

Artics are wonderful as well. Although I haven't gotten my hands on them, and probably wouldn't be doing so in the near future as well. Too many Thermalright and Noctua fans already in the cupboards at the moment!

Reactions: Valantar

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Thanks mate! It really does look like everything is packed into the case, but not super squeezed for space.

The Thermalright FC140 looks and cools great. Actually, it might be because the fans are new, they don't raelly have a grinding sound at low RPM. Or maybe my ears are going deaf in combination with the high noise ceiling of the room. It seems like there's construction or renovations happening with my neighbours. Well, that's what happens when you pack families into apartments in close proximity, but I digress.

Artics are wonderful as well. Although I haven't gotten my hands on them, and probably wouldn't be doing so in the near future as well. Too many Thermalright and Noctua fans already in the cupboards at the moment!
I can definitely see that. I'm quite sensitive to persistent noises of most kinds (hums, buzzes, grinding, rattling), which is likely why I tired of the GTs. To be clear, they weren't terrible, they were just always noticeable. I've come to understand that with ball bearing fans it is pretty much a lottery - apparently, with sufficient QC ball bearings can be entirely silent, but that requires really tight tolerances and a level of QC that nobody seems to bother with. It might be that your Thermalrights are an exception, and if so that's defnitely worthy of note. I went for Arctics recently just because I got a 280mm rad and didn't have any 140mm pwm fans, Noctua doesn't have a recent 140mm design, and there weren't many other options - plus the Arctics are really good, very quiet, and shockingly cheap compared to the competition. I'll have to take a look at Thermalright for the future though.

Reactions: Neathdrawls

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
I can definitely see that. I'm quite sensitive to persistent noises of most kinds (hums, buzzes, grinding, rattling), which is likely why I tired of the GTs. To be clear, they weren't terrible, they were just always noticeable. I've come to understand that with ball bearing fans it is pretty much a lottery - apparently, with sufficient QC ball bearings can be entirely silent, but that requires really tight tolerances and a level of QC that nobody seems to bother with. It might be that your Thermalrights are an exception, and if so that's defnitely worthy of note. I went for Arctics recently just because I got a 280mm rad and didn't have any 140mm pwm fans, Noctua doesn't have a recent 140mm design, and there weren't many other options - plus the Arctics are really good, very quiet, and shockingly cheap compared to the competition. I'll have to take a look at Thermalright for the future though.
Aye. Those noises can get irritating after a while. Like my NF-F12s ippcs are showing their design age, to me. Their noise profile is very rumbly at higher RPMs.

I may have gotten lucky with the Thermalright's QC (for now), but we will see how the fans hold up with usage. Although, out of the 8 fans I have, 2 of them are only able to hit a maximum of 2950 RPM, which is still within 10% of their max rated 3150 RPM, but still. I am waiting to see if Thermalright decides to do a 140mm variant of their TL-B12 series fan designs.

Aye, Noctua's 140mm designs are old and pending a refresh, supposedly this coming year? But Noctua does Noctua things, probably will only be Q4 of 2022 when it's fully announced. Then another 5 years for the chromax version to appear in statements? I jest.

Artics are really both great in performance and value for money!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Aye. Those noises can get irritating after a while. Like my NF-F12s ippcs are showing their design age, to me. Their noise profile is very rumbly at higher RPMs.

I may have gotten lucky with the Thermalright's QC (for now), but we will see how the fans hold up with usage. Although, out of the 8 fans I have, 2 of them are only able to hit a maximum of 2950 RPM, which is still within 10% of their max rated 3150 RPM, but still. I am waiting to see if Thermalright decides to do a 140mm variant of their TL-B12 series fan designs.

Aye, Noctua's 140mm designs are old and pending a refresh, supposedly this coming year? But Noctua does Noctua things, probably will only be Q4 of 2022 when it's fully announced. Then another 5 years for the chromax version to appear in statements? I jest.

Artics are really both great in performance and value for money!
Yeah, I'm firmly in the "Noctua products arrive when they arrive, and not a minute before" camp. I treat their roadmaps and release dates as ... let's say aspirational? Definitely not something to go by.

Oh, btw, Arctic also has double ball bearing equipped "Continuous Operation"/CO versions of their fans. I have a P14 CO in my NAS, and ... well, it's louder than the hard drives in that case (including a rather noisy shucked external Seagate whitelabel drive). It kind of sounds like there's always load on the drives even when mostly idle (of course ZFS kind of does that, but things definitely changed after that fan was added). So it's clear that the bearings in the ordinary P series is key to their silence - but given that I've had mine for just a few months I have no idea about their longevity. Hopefully they'll last the full 10 year warranty period - at least that gives some confidence. Still, had I known just how grindy that bearing would be I might have taken a chance on an ordinary P14 even for the NAS, despite it running 24/7.

Oh, and my P14s are rated for 1700rpm, but I've never seen either exceed 1600 - they typically peak at around 1570-1590rpm. They're pulling air through a reasonably dense radiator though, which no doubt slows them down a bit compared to their unobstructed rotational speed.

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
Yeah, I'm firmly in the "Noctua products arrive when they arrive, and not a minute before" camp. I treat their roadmaps and release dates as ... let's say aspirational? Definitely not something to go by.

Oh, btw, Arctic also has double ball bearing equipped "Continuous Operation"/CO versions of their fans. I have a P14 CO in my NAS, and ... well, it's louder than the hard drives in that case (including a rather noisy shucked external Seagate whitelabel drive). It kind of sounds like there's always load on the drives even when mostly idle (of course ZFS kind of does that, but things definitely changed after that fan was added). So it's clear that the bearings in the ordinary P series is key to their silence - but given that I've had mine for just a few months I have no idea about their longevity. Hopefully they'll last the full 10 year warranty period - at least that gives some confidence. Still, had I known just how grindy that bearing would be I might have taken a chance on an ordinary P14 even for the NAS, despite it running 24/7.

Oh, and my P14s are rated for 1700rpm, but I've never seen either exceed 1600 - they typically peak at around 1570-1590rpm. They're pulling air through a reasonably dense radiator though, which no doubt slows them down a bit compared to their unobstructed rotational speed.
Aye, Noctua does Noctua things and they can take all the time they want and need. It’s their business and commitment to their principles and designs. I am just very interested to see what they can come up with and what the competition will there be!

Louder than HDDs. Hmm, double ball bearing fans must be really irritating for yourself then. I’m glad that I am not that irritated by noise, possibly a mixture of minor case of tinnitus and probably going deaf sooner rather than later.

That’s true, Artic does provide a very good 10 years of warranty for their products, which is way more than majority of the other brands. Shows how much they trust their own products. Resistance is bound to slow down the RPM fo sure! Although I did test mine by themselves, unobstructed. Well, when in they are in the case and running, I don’t expect and want them to hit 3000 RPM anyways.

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
New year, new build right?

Or rather, a new build in an old case, Cooler Master's NR200. The old favourite, and a good intro to many entering the SFF PC.

At 18L, it is surely on the bigger side of things, and it's refreshing to head back to it and see how easy and good to build in it.

Didn't really test out thermals extensively in it, but the SS135 is a great cooler for it's size for the 5600X, and the MSI 3060 Gaming X is totally overkill of a cooler for a 3060, keeping it silent and cool.

Tried using the side bracket to mount a 140mm fan for intake, saw minimal improvements in thermals, decided to remove it before it finally heads over to my friend.

The build is going to a friend that will be upgrading from a GTX 1650, and will be doing light streaming, and it would be a decent upgrade hopefully!

Specifications
  • Case: NR200 Black
  • Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
  • Motherboard: MSI B550I Gaming Edge Wifi
  • Ram: 16(2x8)GB TridentZ Ripjaw V 3600 CL18
  • PSU: Lian Li SP750W SFX 80+ Gold
  • GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Gaming X
  • Cooler: Thermalright Silver Soul 135 (Graphene)
  • Case Fan (Top Exhaust): 2x Thermalright TL-C12 Pro Black
  • Case Fan (Rear Exhaust): 1x Thermalright TL-C9B
  • Case Fan (Bottom Intake): 2x Noctua NF-A12x15
  • Storage: 1x Viper Patriot VPN100 1TB
  • Storage: 1x Kioxia Exceria 1TB
  • Storage:: 1x Western Digital 2TB
Bonus picture of having an ITX GPU in the NR200, just to see how space "efficient" the NR200 can be.

Last edited:

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
Did you look at hard drive thermals? It would be interesting to see what happens with a disk read/write benchmark.
Ah dang, I missed out on doing a read/write benchmark before passing the system over to my friend, unfortunately.

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
For real now, new year, new case:

Revoccases' MIT1-XXL. Okay, not really that new, as I do have the XL, but decided to get the XXL for some better hardware compatability (front 120mm/140mm with 120mm mounting holes fan, slightly longer GPU support). Full album link is here.

As it's pretty much the same case, the build quality is superb as usual from Revoccase. Thermals, airflow and noise is great.

Specifications
  • Case: Revoccase MIT1-XXL
  • Processor: Intel I5-11600K
  • Motherboard: Gigabyte Z590I Aorus Ultra
  • Ram: 32(2x16)GB Corsair Vengence Pro 3600 CL18
  • PSU: FSP Dagger Pro 650W SFX 80+ Gold
  • GPU: ASRock Radeon RX 6600 XT Challenger ITX
  • Cooler: Thermalright Silver Soul 135 White
  • Case Fan (Rear Exhaust): 2x Noctua NF-A8
  • Case Fan (Front Intake): 1x Thermalright TL-D14W-S
  • Storage: 1x Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
  • Storage:: 1x Western Digital 2TB
The Intel i5-11600K performs alright, hitting up to 86C in Cinebench R23 with CPU Package Power hitting 155W at 4.6GHz all cores, according to HWinfo64. While gaming in Mechwarrior Online, the CPU goes up to 70C, while the GPU at 72C.

I also tried a different layout and cooling option before I got the 11600K, with a 11400 cooled by Thermalright's AXP120-x67, with a 120mm fan on the side panel pushing air in.

And just to see what clearances you get when install the front fan and the motherboard:

Bonus (if you like rainbow/unicorn puke of a lightbox):

Last edited:

Elaman

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 13, 2020
That is some impressive CPU cooling. Do you know what was the average temperature for Cinebench?
I think the case design helps a lot.

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
That is some impressive CPU cooling. Do you know what was the average temperature for Cinebench?
I think the case design helps a lot.

It was around the 80C to 85C area, while peaking at 86C.

Both case design and the SS135 cooler really does help keep the CPU cool enough.

phuochau76421

What's an ITX?
New User
Mar 14, 2022
Hi bro, Could you please share link to buy TL-C14W-S ?

I found in taobao have only TL-C14W-S with mount 140mm, not 120mm.

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
Hi bro, Could you please share link to buy TL-C14W-S ?

I found in taobao have only TL-C14W-S with mount 140mm, not 120mm.

Oh, sorry it was a typo in the fan. It's supposed to the TL-D14S-W instead.

Unfortunately, this particular fan model doesn't seem to be sold seperatedly. I took it off the Frost Spirit 140 White V3 ARGB Cooler that I had on hand.

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
Decisions, decisions, decisions.

While waiting for the Densium 4 (black, with rosewood front) to arrive, now pondering which fan will look better.

If anyone is wondering, it's a Thermalright AXP90-x36 on a Colorful B560I Gaming board with 11400 in it.

Reactions: Arboreal

Neathdrawls

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jul 28, 2021
All 3, stacked for MAXIMUM POWAH
The gray one seems to match best, with my apologies to "colorful" beforehand.

Will need to find a Blue fan to make it RGB. (Red,Grey,Blue).

I think Jonsbo has a blue 90mm fan?! The one that comes with HP400. Time to buy it for the trifecta of maximum powah!

I am actually leaning towards the White or the Grey one, the others seem to clash with the board.

SFFMunkee

King of Cable Management
Jul 7, 2021
Will need to find a Blue fan to make it RGB. (Red,Grey,Blue).

I think Jonsbo has a blue 90mm fan?! The one that comes with HP400. Time to buy it for the trifecta of maximum powah!

I am actually leaning towards the White or the Grey one, the others seem to clash with the board.
Agreed, the grey fits well with the MB colour scheme. You could comfortably get away with the white or black but grey is closest match.