SFF.Network Ncore V1 prototype shows efficiently minimalistic mount

Over on HardOCP, Kyle Bennett has gotten his hands on a prototype waterblock from NUDEcnc, run by Arek Tobiszewski.

Unlike most waterblocks this tiny block mounts only on delidded Intel socket 115x boards by basically replacing the heatspreader as a part of the design. This allows the waterblock to make a direct contact with the CPU die meaning a much more efficient cooling.

It will be available for crowd funding on Kickstarter on April 1st.

Read more here (hardocp.com)

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
@NUDEcnc those results look very promising!

What is the center-to-center distance between the tapped inlet and outlet ports? And will there be a nickel-plated option at some point?

Reactions: VegetableStu

w5endless

Cable Smoosher
Mar 19, 2018
Can someone please explain to me why this is so great apart just from it is cool that it is so small? Waterblock-size have never been the issue even for ITX, have it? The issue is how to make the fittings flat enough for small cases. What is the benefit of making the contact area so small?
because it eliminates the heatspreader from the chip? It has direct contact with the cpu dye. nobody has ever done this before....? What are you on about

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Just wondering about the protective coating Intel uses on the finished die and what the assumptions are for it, Na+ ion contamination could be a thing longer term.

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 22, 2017
because it eliminates the heatspreader from the chip? It has direct contact with the cpu dye. nobody has ever done this before....? What are you on about

Yeah I did get that explained to me already, but thanks anyways. When I read the original article the first time I didnt understand it properly; I didnt understand that the waterblock actually replaced the original heatspreader on the CPU. Thus it looked to me as only a very minimalistic waterblock.