Ncase rebooting when bumped

GreatWhiteElephant

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 4, 2020
I've had an Ncase v6.1 since February, and it reboots when bumped. If I lean over or bump the case, it reboots. I've rebuilt my computer several times (rewiring, cleaning) since building this machine and even replaced my power supply but it still does this. My components are all good quality and name brand - so nothing that would be immediate red flags for shorting or sketchy build quality. Motherboard is installed with all screws and standoffs. PSU cables are all in tight. Power button is solid and doesn't seem to be the culprit. No reset button or front IO. Any ideas on what to look for?

Thac0

Caliper Novice
Nov 12, 2020
Can you replicate the the problem with the case sides open? Look and see what moves as you turn the case.

Try jiggling various cords. Look for a bad cable with an internal short.
-External power
-Power extension
-Reset cable
-Power cable

Unplug the reset cable.
Use a different power switch, or just short the pins for power.

Longer shots:
Possible bad solder on the header pins?
Possible issue with flexing motherboard?

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
-try connecting the PSU directly to the wall electrical outlet (instead of using any power extension strip)
-possible faulty power button. It feels solid because the spring works OK but soldering might be loose inside?

GreatWhiteElephant

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 4, 2020
Thanks for the replies. I read them when posted but I'm still working on resolving this issue and trying things.

I've tried:
-jiggling all the cords
-tapping all over the case, by the power button, by the motherboard rear IO buttons
-looked all through case for loose connections, misaligned parts, loose screws, etc.
-gently shaking system (only an SSD so no moving parts to get damaged from gentle shake)

It won't reboot during any of the above tests but I got up from my desk and bumped the desk fairly hard today and my computer rebooted.

It's weirdly random. It's not heat related as I can game for hours and it doesn't effect this issue. Temps are all great for a case this size, too.

Motherboard doesn't appear to be flexing at all. All screws are in tight. Only thing that's flexing is my SSD. The SSD heatsink on my motherboard is janky and causes the SSD to bow a bit no matter what I do. I don't think this is the cause of my reboots but I'll investigate this further. It's a double sided, two port card for the SSD's and I've tried both sides and the same thing happens. Performance wise I've extensively tested and the SSD performs normally.

Motherboard is an ASUS X570 Crosshair VIII Impact.

Thac0

Caliper Novice
Nov 12, 2020
Now my bet is the outlet or power cable. Do you have a uninterruptible power supply? Have you swapped power cables (the one that plugs into the wall)?

GreatWhiteElephant

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 4, 2020
I believe I have switched power cables but I'll try that today. I'll remove the surge protector to see if that makes a difference too.

GreatWhiteElephant

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 4, 2020
Monitor doesn't turn off when the computer reboots and monitor is plugged into the same surge protector, so I don't think it's that. Could be a bad port on the surge protector though I guess.

Thac0

Caliper Novice
Nov 12, 2020
Kick the surge protector and see if that resets the PC. Then try plugging it in directly to the wall.

Eventually, you should be able to replicate the problem pretty well. Sans a spinning hard drive, I can't think of a major risk to being somewhat vigorous to intentionally trigger the reset. Be bold! Just don't rip cables out of your computer or throw it across the room? I don't know. It's difficult to communicate how rough you can be without hurting the computer.