NCASE M1 V6 info

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Any links where I can purchase a spare V5 PSU bracket?
I've disassembled it once and lost it....
The only way you could get one would be to find someone willing to part with theirs. V5 has been out of production for the better part of a year.

Do you still have the ATX bracket? You can mount an SFX PSU to it using an ATX->SFX adapter. That would be your next best option.

cijanzen

Cable Smoosher
Sep 25, 2016
Mine too is in Richmond, I hope I'll get it soon because I live in Nelson, BC! Did you have to pay customs fees?

best way I have found to determine if there will be duty is this handy post on Geekhack. I buy a lot of keyboards and this has never failed me. Given the message I see on my tracking it looks like there won’t be any customs. It’s luck of the draw though.

Midium

Cable Smoosher
Aug 22, 2019
Does anybody know if the USB-A ports of the new V6 front I/O are compatible with the old V5 mounting mechanism? The new kit does seem to use a new mounting mechanism with two screws in the front.
As an AM4 User there is only one board that is providing both headers to use the type A and type C ports. Having dead ports at the front is not really satisfying. I allready started to make plans for an internal usb hub to go from the 2 USB 3 5G ports on the standard 19pin connector to 3 USB 3 5G ports provided through one of the newer 20pin and one standard 19pin connector...

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
Does anybody know if the USB-A ports of the new V6 front I/O are compatible with the old V5 mounting mechanism? The new kit does seem to use a new mounting mechanism with two screws in the front.
As an AM4 User there is only one board that is providing both headers to use the type A and type C ports. Having dead ports at the front is not really satisfying. I allready started to make plans for an internal usb hub to go from the 2 USB 3 5G ports on the standard 19pin connector to 3 USB 3 5G ports provided through one of the newer 20pin and one standard 19pin connector...
Q: Which parts are backward compatible?

A: The following parts from V6 are backward compatible with older versions:
  • Exterior panels
  • Front I/O bracket w/ports
  • Side fan bracket
  • 3.5"/2.5" and ODD drive brackets
  • Motherboard tray
it should yes, according to this post
and also on the website https://ncases.com/products/m1-front-io-kit

RolandX

Chassis Packer
Nov 7, 2019
I also just got the tracking number, but as usual from Asia to Peru would take maybe a month with luck, it doesn't matter, I can wait as far it arrives in one piece :D

Reactions: Plaklijm

thatonegirlt

Minimal Tinkerer
Dec 4, 2019
So fyi for those still struggling, clicking view my order from my email doesn't give me any useful information ("ie 'preparingtoship') but underneath that link within the email there is a smaller "other tracking number" with link and clicking that gives me the actual tracking data.

Turns out mine is already in my city and appears it will be delievered today! Maybe that expedited shipping did do something after all. What a ride..

Last edited:

ShinyChariot

Efficiency Noob
Jun 13, 2019
So fyi for those still struggling, clicking view my order from my email doesn't give me any useful information but underneath there is a smaller "other tracking number" with link and clicking that gives me the actual tracking data.

Turns out mine is already in my city and appears it will be delievered today! Maybe that expedited shipping did do something after all. What a ride..

No dice for me, still says "PreparingtoShip!" and clicking it asks me for a tracking number that I don't have yet. I opted for the fastest shipping too but I guess that doesn't include processing lol. I have a LAN party in a week so I was hoping to show it off by then, but at this point I'm gonna stop worrying about it. Excited for everyone who got theirs though!

Quantum

Cable Smoosher
New User
Dec 20, 2019
i cant help you with 2 and 3, but with 1 i can help. Fans is your option, but get ones that are pretty quiet and pretty good, i would buy noctua fans, but they can get expensive so just look around wich fans fit with your clearance. And i would recommend to put it as intake, because when the fans on the GPU turn on, and your fans beneath it are as exhaust, they will fight for the air and wont be good at all, and as intake it will cool the GPU without its fans turning, and so helping your GPU with lower temps. And as for 2,3 i would recommend going a few pages back where a lot of discusion was about the cooler, and otherwise if anyone else can help with that, would also be great
I for my self I want to invest some money into noctua fans, I think that is appropiate when you buy a case for 210 $.
As for the cooler, I already read through those pages and came out with the different option I mentioned. But I have no doubt which one works best for the most silent operaton. I don´t want to spend 80 € on the C14S just to find out that the air passing through the side panel creates a loud noise. So I would be glad if someone could help me out with this. In addition, I would be intersted in how far 2 slim 120mm noctua fans on the side bracket help with the performance of the C14S, like done here.

I'm planning a similar build with a Strix 2080S (since it should fit according to recent reports) but ditch the 140mm all together and follow the approach of this guy:

Not sure yet if I will add another 120x15mm on the bottom of the C14S

I really want to keep the PSU in the SFX position, so my current plan is to use the C14S with a 120mm fan with the bracket underneath, 2 slim 120mm noctua fans on the side bracket (all configured as exhaust), 2 120mm noczua fans underneath the GPU and a 92mm in the bach, both configured as intake. I know this is going to get expensive, but I hope that is a good and quiet solution. Is anyone running this setup or a simular one and can share his experience?

Reactions: Plaklijm

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
Original poster
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Thanks for that! So the new front I/O (ports and cover) can be mounted in an older chassis.
But that does not explicitly tell, if you could use the new mold of the USB-A Ports with the old cover, or do I misunderstood something?
The new V6+ ports will not work with the old <=V5 front I/O brackets.

dopeturtles

What's an ITX?
Dec 23, 2019
My case arrived in Sydney, Australia today!

I have a question for people using a Kraken X52 cooler... what do you do about needing an internal USB 2.0 header if your motherboard doesn't have one? Do you: 1. route a USB type A cable to the rear I/O; 2. do you sacrfice the internal USB 3.0 header with an adapter and no front I/O; or 3. don't use the USB cable at all - but if so then how do you control the pump speed and fans etc.

Plaklijm

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jun 18, 2019
My case arrived in Sydney, Australia today!

I have a question for people using a Kraken X52 cooler... what do you do about needing an internal USB 2.0 header if your motherboard doesn't have one? Do you: 1. route a USB type A cable to the rear I/O; 2. do you sacrfice the internal USB 3.0 header with an adapter and no front I/O; or 3. don't use the USB cable at all - but if so then how do you control the pump speed and fans etc.
Why doesn't your motherboard have a usb 2.0 9 pin connector? Which board do you have? I thought every board in the modern day have atleast one of them

Emerald9966

Caliper Novice
Dec 2, 2019
How long can the power supply for fans connected via sata stand?

There is a Corsair SF750 Platinum power supply, I need to connect 5 fans to it:
-noctua nf-a12x15 - four pieces
-noctua nf-a9 - one piece

On a mini-ITX mother, there are so many fan connectors - no. Therefore, I want to connect them to the power supply, but modern modular power supplies do not have molex cords, but there are sata cords, they also connect ssd / hdd to them. So I want to power 5 fans from one cord through 4pin -> sata adapters. The question is, can the power supply withstand? Or are there any restrictions?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
How long can the power supply for fans connected via sata stand?

There is a Corsair SF750 Platinum power supply, I need to connect 5 fans to it:
-noctua nf-a12x15 - four pieces
-noctua nf-a9 - one piece

On a mini-ITX mother, there are so many fan connectors - no. Therefore, I want to connect them to the power supply, but modern modular power supplies do not have molex cords, but there are sata cords, they also connect ssd / hdd to them. So I want to power 5 fans from one cord through 4pin -> sata adapters. The question is, can the power supply withstand? Or are there any restrictions?

SF750 does have a cable with 3 Molex connectors. So, you will need some Y-cable(s) to connect a total of 5 fans. If you connect the fans directly to the PSU, you will lose speed control and the fans will run at full speed all the time.

If I were you, I would try to connect as many fans directly to the mobo as possible and then use a PWM fan hub/splitter to connect the rest. Eg https://www.newegg.com/black-riitop-40cm-15-74-inch-cable-splitters/p/1W7-00AZ-00007
One aim is to use as fewer cables as possible to get better cable management, especially useful when dealing inside a small case.

Emerald9966

Caliper Novice
Dec 2, 2019
SF750 does have a cable with 3 Molex connectors. So, you will need some Y-cable(s) to connect a total of 5 fans. If you connect the fans directly to the PSU, you will lose speed control and the fans will run at full speed all the time.

If I were you, I would try to connect as many fans directly to the mobo as possible and then use a PWM fan hub/splitter to connect the rest. Eg https://www.newegg.com/black-riitop-40cm-15-74-inch-cable-splitters/p/1W7-00AZ-00007
One aim is to use as fewer cables as possible to get better cable management, especially useful when dealing inside a small case.

Noctua fans have adapters that cut revs.
It is important for me to know something else, will the power supply withstand? Will there be a problem? I just don’t want something to burn out ...