Ncase M1 "tophat" mod & build

Maniac

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 18, 2018
Update - 29.03.2020 - Did some changes to my "tophat"-build. Details & photos here.

Hi all,
I've got bored waiting for the parts to my new M1 build (damn you Corsair), so I started tinkering with the idea of creating a "tophat"-mod for the case :). Mainly because I wanted to be able to use a 240mm AIO and a tempered glass sidepanel. Seen a lot of different mods out there, but could not find anything like this. Also, I've been following the discussions on this forum & reddit for a while now, and people often ask about the possibility of utilising the top part of the case for better airflow, so perhaps this might help them out, or at least inspire.

So after days of measuring and re-measuring and drawing, I came up with this. Still in somewhat early stages but it looks promising. I've done a test-print of the fan-only model to test out the dimensions, screw holes and panel clips. Some quirks need to be ironed out before I can say "it's done".

UPDATE v2
Models published on Thingiverse:
Small 18mm
Medium 28mm
Large 58mm

Below are some pictures of the 3d-model and my test-print. I don't own a printer, yet. So these are printed by a friend of mine. He didn't have a large enough printbed, so we had to slice the model prior to print, and then glue them. Not a very good job in gluing there. I've now created a propper sliced model with plugs for easy attachment.

I could not come up with a propper colour for the print that would go nice with the Silver case, so I just went with Clear PETG filament. The idea is to use some fancy RGB-strips on the inside and the light will project through the tophat :D.

Last edited:

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
That's cool. I'm not usually a fan of RGB anything in a case, but with that slightly opaque plastic acting as a diffuser, lighting might be kind of cool since it would be more ambient and less point based.

It might be cool to have one with the fan mount holes in already if the side brackets are in use in their normal place too.

Maniac

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 18, 2018
That's cool. I'm not usually a fan of RGB anything in a case, but with that slightly opaque plastic acting as a diffuser, lighting might be kind of cool since it would be more ambient and less point based.

It might be cool to have one with the fan mount holes in already if the side brackets are in use in their normal place too.
I don't like RGB-puke either to be honest. But I do like discrete, single-color ambient light that goes nice with the build. Especially since it's going to be sitting in a darker environment.

Was thinking about creating fan mounts as well, but it got tricky. They would have to protrude from the walls, and could easily break. Pluss the screw threads would be different based on if you are mounting fans or a radiator first. Might model a printable bracket tho :)

I wish it was a little more flush. But great idea!
Yeah I agree. I do have a design for that in mind, but also tricky to get just right. Especially the top cover and its flushness :p

Reactions: SashaLag

riktanius

Caliper Novice
Feb 21, 2018
I will definitely print this when you finish it. Considering the build I am putting together, I would've loved to try this out a few months ago.

Any chance you could make one that allows a slim fan on the top? Also, instead of putting fan mounts, you could put some slots in the rail to allow people to zip tie.

Reactions: Maniac

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
For fan mounts, maybe make the hat just a tiny bit thick and add mounting strips on the floor (which could also be the roof)? those wouldn't be as fragile as something just stocking off the sides. But might be better to just buy another mounting bracket if still using it on the side. (definitely easier and they are $20 but not currently available).

Maniac

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 18, 2018
I will definitely print this when you finish it. Considering the build I am putting together, I would've loved to try this out a few months ago.

Any chance you could make one that allows a slim fan on the top? Also, instead of putting fan mounts, you could put some slots in the rail to allow people to zip tie.
Slim fans are no problem, thinking of using them solo or with a radiator?

Trying to understand how to do the fan-mounts or the slots for zip-ties... Keep in mind there is a gap of around 4.5mm on each side of the radiator and fans, they are not flush with the walls. . I could add some slots along the walls, but if people pull too hard on the zip, the slot could break off and you would end up printing all over.

dumplinknet

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 26, 2018
I can actually see this going somewhere if you can perfect it. Think of all the versatility it can offer for a case that it already out there for several years. Best wishes .

Maniac

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 18, 2018
I can actually see this going somewhere if you can perfect it. Think of all the versatility it can offer for a case that it already out there for several years. Best wishes .
Thanks for that. Well it depends on what you see as "perfected" :D. I'm trying to iron out all the quirks as I go, based on my use-case.

riktanius

Caliper Novice
Feb 21, 2018
Slim fans are no problem, thinking of using them solo or with a radiator?

Trying to understand how to do the fan-mounts or the slots for zip-ties... Keep in mind there is a gap of around 4.5mm on each side of the radiator and fans, they are not flush with the walls. . I could add some slots along the walls, but if people pull too hard on the zip, the slot could break off and you would end up printing all over.
Yeah, you would have to make the slots strong enough to handle a little tug. I wouldnt make the slots stick out, but part of the larger (stronger) structure. And remember, you can always print with 100% infill and things will be strong as hell. I can stand on a Calibration Cube printed on my machine with 100% infill.

Personally, I would try this with one slim 140mm fan I have. This would compliment the 2 140mm fans I have on the bottom.

Idealy, this wouldve existed prior to my current build and we couldve experimented with a 280MM Rad and Slim fans at the top. Maybe that's the next build.

Maniac

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 18, 2018
I wish it was a little more flush. But great idea!
Damn, kept thinking about this all day... so I just created a version that is flush with the case panels, and the top panel kinda "sinks" inn. Looks nice on the drawing board :) Thanks for the kick :thumb:

Yeah, you would have to make the slots strong enough to handle a little tug. I wouldnt make the slots stick out, but part of the larger (stronger) structure. And remember, you can always print with 100% infill and things will be strong as hell. I can stand on a Calibration Cube printed on my machine with 100% infill.

Personally, I would try this with one slim 140mm fan I have. This would compliment the 2 140mm fans I have on the bottom.

Idealy, this wouldve existed prior to my current build and we couldve experimented with a 280MM Rad and Slim fans at the top. Maybe that's the next build.
Think I have a solution for this. So basically the idea is to have fan/zip mounts at the bottom of the hat, so that we don't have/need to use the bracket to mount them?

So if we add something like this, just more flush with the wall, and a bit thinner, with screw threads in place. So in case it breaks, just print one of these and attach it to the wall.
https://i.imgur.com/IdnoLSL.jpg

You mention 140mm fans, these would not fit in the current design. Would have to narrow the walls quite a bit, and it could interfere with the top cover clips.

Reactions: Wyd4

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
This is fantastic. I would definitely be keen on this and/or a similar theory but for the bottom of the case, whereby one can mount fans/rad under the case and attach the feet to the "Bottom Top Hat".

Either way I would be very keen to get something like this printed up.
I am currently running my ncase m1 with a 240 in the bottom and a 92 in the rear, but the 240 is hampered by slim fans and the gpu.
Being able to mount and potentially hide somewhat full sized fans under the case would improve the flow. Alternatively having a second 240 in the top would allow the use of the glass side and improve thermals!

I have been thinking about doing this for a while, but not having a 3d printer or any skills of use, I keep putting it in the too hard basket haha.

Maniac

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 18, 2018
This is fantastic. I would definitely be keen on this and/or a similar theory but for the bottom of the case, whereby one can mount fans/rad under the case and attach the feet to the "Bottom Top Hat".

Either way I would be very keen to get something like this printed up.
I am currently running my ncase m1 with a 240 in the bottom and a 92 in the rear, but the 240 is hampered by slim fans and the gpu.
Being able to mount and potentially hide somewhat full sized fans under the case would improve the flow. Alternatively having a second 240 in the top would allow the use of the glass side and improve thermals!

I have been thinking about doing this for a while, but not having a 3d printer or any skills of use, I keep putting it in the too hard basket haha.
Think a bottom-skirt is doable, user named @Nanook at the [H]-forum made a model for it a while back. https://hardforum.com/threads/ncase...n-first-post.1717132/page-616#post-1043099486
I presume this is more for those who do custom loops or those who don't mind cutting in the case-frame to improve airflow. I'm trying to avoid any cutting. :p

Regarding printing, I don't own a printer either. Get my friends to print or if I need a special print with specific filaments, I use https://www.treatstock.com. Here you can find local 3d-printers that will do the job for you, for a price ofc.

Last edited:

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
Think a bottom-skirt is doable, a user named "Nanook" at the [H]-forum made a model for it a while back. https://hardforum.com/threads/ncase...n-first-post.1717132/page-616#post-1043099486
I presume this is more for those who do custom loops or those who don't mind cutting in the case-frame to improve airflow. I'm trying to avoid any cutting. :p

Regarding printing, I don't own a printer either. Get my friends to print or if I need a special print with specific filaments, I use https://www.treatstock.com. Here you can find local 3d-printers that will do the job for you, for a price ofc.

Hey there,

Thanks for the heads up on finding people to print for you, I actually found someone yesterday who can do it :)
Just need to get my grubby mits on the files in question.

Also thanks for the pedestal link. I actually think that is exactly what I was after. Trawled through that thread for a while but couldnt find anything relating to the actual designs. I will take a bit more of a walk through it after work.

Keep up the great work, was good to read you have looked @ a more flush fit, I think that would help the aesthetics of it a lot.
I love the practicality of using the side mount for the top, great solution!!!

Keep it up!!

I personally would be very interested to slap another 240mm rad in my ncase whilst still having the glass side!!

Scott

Maniac

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Oct 18, 2018
Test print of the 17mm tall tophat is underway, with all additions and changes. So if this goes well, I’ll start on the 55mm and release the stl files.

Wyd4

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 21, 2018
Test print of the 17mm tall tophat is underway, with all additions and changes. So if this goes well, I’ll start on the 55mm and release the stl files.

Awesome . Can't wait :)
I was seriously about to go external radiator until I saw this thread :)