NCASE M1 Part review help

indybonez

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Hi all,

I'm looking for a little guidance on my part selection for my new SFF build (my first), I'm looking for as close to a no compromise build as possible so top tier CPU, GPU etc as I want this thing to last (my last PC is 6 years old and still going strong).

But I'm discovering I may have to make some compromises to fit it all into this case.

I was originally going to reuse my MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X but discovered it won't fit in the NCASE M1 (which I already bought because it was love at first sight), so have to find a new GPU as well and might as well go for an upgrade while I'm at it so looking for at least an RTX 2080. I'm not interested in RGB or showing off the inside of the case as I want a low key build.

What I'm thinking so far is this (see my amazon wish list for the full details here - http://amzn.eu/4RVQ1mV):

Code:
CPU - Intel Core i9-9900k
GPU - EVGA RTX 2080 XC
Motherboard - ASRock z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/AC
RAM: 2 x 16GB Corsair LPX DDR4 3200 MHz
Storage: - 1TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 PCIE SSD
         - 4TB Toshiba X300 7200RPM 3.5" HDD
         - 32GB Intel Optane M.2 Accelerator
Cooling: - Corsair H100i Hydro Pro AIO with 2 x Nocuta NF-A12x25 replacement fans
         - ???? Probably need some more fans under GPU or on back of case?
PSU: SilverStone SST-SC800-LTI SFX-L

This would be my ideal configuration but from what I have read so far the PSU, HDD and AIO will be challenges to fit and my choice of CPU/GPU may be challenging cooling wise.

So I was looking for some advice or experience from others on their thoughts on this part selection and whether alternates might be available. I have done plenty of PC builds in the past, just not SFF ones so I'm willing to get my hands dirty to find solutions if possible.

The main questions I have are:

1. I think I need the 800W PSU for my use-case with this hardware (basically running 24/7 for workstation work and gaming) and I have seen people mention this https://smallformfactor.net/forum/resources/ncase-m1-sfx-l-bracket.5/ bracket for mounting the PSU 90 degrees, to help with fit? Anyone manage to fabricate this and make it work or know where I can buy one? And is the clearance going to be a problem long term with the stress of cables against the GPU? Is there high capacity PSU in smaller form factors available?

2. Will a 3.5" HDD fit in there somewhere along with everything else or will I need to look for a lower capacity 2.5" drive?

3. Is the heat from the I9-9900K manageable in a case this size?

4. What extra fans should I get? And is the Corsair H100I pro a choice for AIO?

Any help you guys can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Tristan

Last edited:

jtmsrl

Caliper Novice
Jan 12, 2019
the only problem I see is the extreme heat generated by both the 9900k and the rtx 2080. Maybe you could dissipate the gpu heat with an accelero iii, but you will have troubles with the 9900k. Is there an option to downgrade to a 9700k? you will be fine with lne of those.

Update

1.- I just realized you wanted to use a 3.5 drive, try to get an ssd so you can fit some extra fans at the bottom
2.- Oh men an SFX-L psu, I dont think you can fit a 240mm AIO with that. Why not the 750w SFX?

indybonez

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Ideally I wouldn’t modify the GPU as I like to sell them on as is when I’m done with them, so if I replace the HDD with fans on the bottom, would that be enough to keep the GPU cool without modification?

In regards to the CPU I was thinking the I9 9900k was probably a long shot but I’m willing to use something else if it’s not a possibility

jtmsrl

Caliper Novice
Jan 12, 2019
depending on what GPU, but probably yes, you can fit 2x120mm full size fans under a XC Gaming (not Ultra) and it will stay relatively cool. Search on google about the 9900k and ncase. I’ve seen between 80-90C under load using both AIO or Air cooling, so I might consider something else

Last edited:

indybonez

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Yeah the 9900k looks like a bit too far, maybe its worth even considering an 8700k instead as the added heat of the 9700k doesn't seem worth the performance bump over the 8700k. Any of these will be a big step up over my current 3770k anyway.

And the RTX 2080 should be a nice bump over my GTX 1080 as well I hope.

What size fans would I need for the bottom of the case? Sould I go as thin as possible?

jtmsrl

Caliper Novice
Jan 12, 2019
Yeah the 9900k looks like a bit too far, maybe its worth even considering an 8700k instead as the added heat of the 9700k doesn't seem worth the performance bump over the 8700k. Any of these will be a big step up over my current 3770k anyway.

And the RTX 2080 should be a nice bump over my GTX 1080 as well I hope.

What size fans would I need for the bottom of the case? Sould I go as thin as possible?

The XC Gaming is 2 slot so you can fit 25mm fans and the XC Ultra 2.5 so you can fit 15mm fans

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Check out @Nanook's build log, from the post linked on he is using a 9900k in his Ncase and shows the results of several different coolers. He is getting very good temps currently with Thermaltake Water 3.0 240mm AIO.

Reactions: Nanook

indybonez

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Check out @Nanook's build log, from the post linked on he is using a 9900k in his Ncase and shows the results of several different coolers. He is getting very good temps currently with Thermaltake Water 3.0 240mm AIO.

Awesome thank you looks like he is getting some overclocking in and keeping the i9 9900k under control, I'll have to do some looking into the Thermaltake Water 3.0 240mm AIO vs the Corsair and see if I'm likely to see the same (provided I get a decent cpu sample)

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Awesome thank you looks like he is getting some overclocking in and keeping the i9 9900k under control, I'll have to do some looking into the Thermaltake Water 3.0 240mm AIO vs the Corsair and see if I'm likely to see the same (provided I get a decent cpu sample)
Most 240mm AIO based on Asetek pumps are similar in performance. I recommend getting one which you like the looks, tubing length, and price. I wanted a barebones block, with short soft tubing, and also because I had the TT 240 on hand :)

indybonez

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Most 240mm AIO based on Asetek pumps are similar in performance. I recommend getting one which you like the looks, tubing length, and price. I wanted a barebones block, with short soft tubing, and also because I had the TT 240 on hand :)

Yeah just been looking at some comparisons between different AIO of the same size and using the same fans performance was very similar.

In your honest opinion is the 9900k worth the effort with the NCASE M1 or should I look at the 8700k instead, I would love to just go all out but I do want something that will last me a while without too much hassle keeping it running sanely

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Yeah just been looking at some comparisons between different AIO of the same size and using the same fans performance was very similar.

In your honest opinion is the 9900k worth the effort with the NCASE M1 or should I look at the 8700k instead, I would love to just go all out but I do want something that will last me a while without too much hassle keeping it running sanely
For me, yes! I mostly game, but often use my home pc for CPU based 3D renderings for work, and 16 threads does that very nicely.

indybonez

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
For me, yes! I mostly game, but often use my home pc for CPU based 3D renderings for work, and 16 threads does that very nicely.

I'm a Game Dev and work from home occasionally so I did want something that could pull workstation tasks alongside gaming as well and that was why I was originally thinking the 9900K. Hmmmm decisions decisions

Its good to see you have a working example though as that was my main worry that I would just be thermal throttling all the time and the 9900k would be a waste of money

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
I'm a Game Dev and work from home occasionally so I did want something that could pull workstation tasks alongside gaming as well and that was why I was originally thinking the 9900K. Hmmmm decisions decisions

Its good to see you have a working example though as that was my main worry that I would just be thermal throttling all the time and the 9900k would be a waste of money
The 9900K thermals is manageable by simply adding a power limit value in UEFI or XTU based on your cooler. What cooler are you hoping to run?

indybonez

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
The 9900K thermals is manageable by simply adding a power limit value in UEFI or XTU based on your cooler. What cooler are you hoping to run?

Corsair H100i Hydro Pro AIO with 2 x Nocuta NF-A12x25. Its the one I like the look of the best and have seen videos showing it fitting in the M1

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Corsair H100i Hydro Pro AIO with 2 x Nocuta NF-A12x25. Its the one I like the look of the best and have seen videos showing it fitting in the M1
With a 240mm AIO, you should be able to set 215w power limit for Turbo boost. And depending on the type of workload, -2 or -3 AVX. With this setup, I haven’t seen thermal throttling for the cpu and vrm.

For gaming (playing Battletech Flashpoint lately, it’s not very taxing), the cpu runs super cool at 50c five or take? The GPU (Accelero 3 with bottom exhaust) runs about 60.

indybonez

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
With a 240mm AIO, you should be able to set 215w power limit for Turbo boost. And depending on the type of workload, -2 or -3 AVX. With this setup, I haven’t seen thermal throttling for the cpu and vrm.

For gaming, the cpu runs super cool at 50c maybe? The GPU (Accelero 3 with bottom exhaust) runs about 60.

Did you ever try it with the stock cooler? I will probably not swap coolers on the GPU due to warranty and resale price

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Did you ever try it with the stock cooler? I will probably not swap coolers on the GPU due to warranty and resale price
Yes, I started with the stock FE cooler. It runs at about 80c, and 70s if I shifted up the fan curve to be more aggressive. The bottom case fans would have to be intake though. Side 240mmAIO can be exhaust, but runs slightly warmer than side intake. You could try a rear 92mm exhaust.

indybonez

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Jan 19, 2019
Okay so I'm thinking of this for my updated part list:

Code:
CPU - Intel Core i9-9900k
GPU - EVGA RTX 2080 XC
Motherboard - ASRock z390 Phantom Gaming-ITX/AC
RAM: 2 x 16GB Corsair LPX DDR4 3200 MHz
Storage: - 1TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 PCIE SSD
         - 5TB Seagate Barracuda 2.5" HDD
         - 32GB Intel Optane M.2 Accelerator
Cooling: - Corsair H100i Hydro Pro AIO with 2 x Nocuta NF-A12x25 replacement fans
         - 2 x Nocuta NF-A12x25 fans for bottom of the case
         - 1 x Noctua NF-A9x14 rear case fan
PSU: Corsair SF750 SFX PSU

This should hopefully meet my no compromises goal and with any luck all fit in the case and not be prohibitively hot.

I will have to monitor the GPU I guess and put the case somewhere cool but if I need to I will consider some custom cooling solution in the future.

I plan to do a build log when I get it all, will be amazing if this all works in such a tiny case, because at the moment I have a full tower which is almost as tall as the desk!

Mantark

Efficiency Noob
New User
Feb 4, 2019
Hi,

according to first tests, maybe you should consider the Samsung 970 EVO Plus instead of EVO.

Great build list!
Mantark