ncase fan configuration help

barbz127

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
New User
Feb 12, 2018
Hi all,

I am about to start building in my v6.1 and could do with some input on the following:

Should the rear 90mm be setup as intake or exhaust?

Should the 120mm under the C14s be setup as intake or exhaust?

Should the sfx psu be located in the regular or atx location?

Gpu is a 2 slot 1080ti and at this stage I will have two 120mm fans in the base setup as intakes.

Thankyou

HyperActive

Cable-Tie Ninja
Jul 22, 2019
Well I tested with my 140mm c14s and 92mm noctua in the back and found intake on both to be roughly 5-10 degrees better depending on the testing. Someone else found the opposite, so best is to try yourself. Still nees to test again to verify, but I was pretty sure about my testing (real bench to test real game and higher load cpu).
Got great temps with the undervolt and this set up. I have a stock strix rx 5700xt in it so that's also intake for gpu. But honestly the gpu temps were only 2 degrees better and cpu 5-10 depending on the rear being switch to intake (5 degrees better blowing directly on heatsink).
The Hot air goes out of all the sides this way so I don't think it traps it this way with the ncase. Chipset temps were greatly improved by about 10 degrees with the fresh being blown on the mobo.
I think the psu gets warmer this way, but no way to test it and the fan isnt loud so...
While gaming my undervolt 3700x is 60 degrees on 30-40% fanspeed I believe and my strix is set up for 45% fan speed on 69 degrees. Both undervolted which makes a 10% difference in fan speed.

Reactions: Morgul

gwertheim

King of Cable Management
Nov 27, 2017
Check out OptimumTech's videos, he's done plenty of tests with different parts that would cost a fortune to buy ourselves.

Jetpaction

Trash Compacter
Jan 4, 2020
For what it's worth and perhaps it helps, I installed my V6.1 case today with the following cooling and fan setup:

• Noctua NH-L12S with NF-A12-x15 PWM Chromax under the heatsink, set as intake. This has the added benefit of also cooling the VRM's on the motherboard. Milage may vary if this fits for you, it does with my hardware config (see details below). Heatpipes are pointed downwards (towards GPU).
  • This setup also allows me to keep the SFX PSU in the stock position with fan directed as exhaust.
  • 2x Noctua NF-A12x15 PWM Chromax on the side panel, set as intake. This results in 1 fan providing fresh air to the heatsink, amplified by the additional fan under the heatsink. The other fan on the side panel ensures fresh air is provided into the case and blows against the PSU.
  • 1x Noctua NF-A9x14 PWM Chromax on the back panel, set as exhaust to push out any hot air that doesn't escape through the toppanel.
  • I have no fans installed under my GPU as it's a 2 slot card and there's enough breathing room with the improved side and bottom panel of the V6
My hardware:
  • Intel Core i5 9600k with a small O/C (4.7Ghz).
  • Gigabyte Z390 I Auros Pro
  • Corsair Vengeance 16 GB LPX DDR4 3000Mhz with XMP enabled
  • Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 Super FE with a mild O/C of the memory (+1000 Mhz).
  • Corsair SF600 Platinum
This setup keeps my 9600k at 28c idle and 60c load. My 2080S idles at 30c and reaches 75c at load. I also put an emphasis on keeping good airflow and enough breathing room inside the case. That's why I choose the L12S over the C14S due to its smaller footprint. With it basically being a 2x120mm cpu fan setup I think this gives me the same or maybe even better results as the wel reviewed Noctua U9 with 2x92mm fan setup. Other than that I also ensured tidy cable management by using a custom Cablemod sleeved set with shorter cables than the stock Corsair ones. I also removed the cables from the I/O front panel sans the power cable and I used an Akasa PWM fan splitter as it has 2 very short cables ( < 10cm) but they're the perfect length for the CPU and rear panel fans. The Noctua default fan cables are 30cm, which is too long for those 2 fans, but they're fine for the 2 fans on the side panel.

Reactions: gwertheim

Morgul

Chassis Packer
Dec 12, 2019
Well I tested with my 140mm c14s and 92mm noctua in the back and found intake on both to be roughly 5-10 degrees better depending on the testing. Someone else found the opposite, so best is to try yourself. Still nees to test again to verify, but I was pretty sure about my testing (real bench to test real game and higher load cpu).
Got great temps with the undervolt and this set up. I have a stock strix rx 5700xt in it so that's also intake for gpu. But honestly the gpu temps were only 2 degrees better and cpu 5-10 depending on the rear being switch to intake (5 degrees better blowing directly on heatsink).
The Hot air goes out of all the sides this way so I don't think it traps it this way with the ncase. Chipset temps were greatly improved by about 10 degrees with the fresh being blown on the mobo.
I think the psu gets warmer this way, but no way to test it and the fan isnt loud so...
While gaming my undervolt 3700x is 60 degrees on 30-40% fanspeed I believe and my strix is set up for 45% fan speed on 69 degrees. Both undervolted which makes a 10% difference in fan speed.

I followed @HyperActive advices and I set my C14S 140mm fan to intake mode. I haven't tested the temperatures in exhaust mode, but at least with this configuration the temperatures seems more or less the same than him/her.

• 3700x (@4.0Ghz due to the memory profile to use its 3200Mhz)
  • Gigabyte 2070 Super OC
  • Psu (Corsair 750W) in ATX position
  • Only C14S and the three fans of the GPU as cooling solutions
While playing Deux Ex, I know is not the most demanding game:
CPU temps 60 - 70 (motherboard slightly more than that)
GPU temps 65 - 70

More or less, add/minus a couple of degrees.

The noise is also really good, barely noticeable while playing with the sound, etc. While in desktop the noise is almost inexistence. So, I think I'm not going to add more fans :-). It would reduce temps, but I think the current ones are good enough.