Ncase cooling

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Hi , i just ordered the NCase M1 and was looking at cooling solution that fits my requirement. I need to mount 1x 3.5 hdd and 2 x 2.5hdd. What do you guys think is the best way to cool this case without going for an AIO ? I need fan configs and models, thanks beforehand

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
With or without the window? I don't recommend mounting a 3.5" drive in the non-window model, since you can't use the HDD cage on the side and the floor mount blocks the GPU (assuming you're using one).

Cooler-wise, the Noctua U9S is a pretty safe bet. Have at least one 120mm fan on the side towards the front (on the non-windowed version only), or on the bottom (windowed version), and a 92mm fan at the rear.

Last edited:

TeutonJon78

Average Stuffer
Jun 7, 2018
I don't recommend mounting a 3.5" drive in the non-window model, since you can't use the HDD cage on the side and the floor mount blocks the GPU (assuming you're using one).

I think you have an extra "n't" in there. I assume you mean you don't recommend mounting a 3.5" drive in the windowed version. The non-windows/standard version would allow use of the HD cage. Unless I'm missing something.

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
Thanks for the reply ! I bought the non windowed model. So the best hdd position is on the side cage ? With fans on the bottom and the front ?

dorall

Trash Compacter
Oct 2, 2018
I did many, many air cooled variations in ncase.
The best cooler i've ever used in that case was discontinued NH-C14 from Noctua, which run my i7 8700k at 23-25 degrees idle.

NH U9S is a great alternative, it's not discontinued, you don't have any problems fitting cables or rams with this cooler, but it runs hotter by 6-7 degrees than c14 does. At least that's what my tests showed. Getting NH-c14 inside was pain in the arse, since that cooler completely hides sata ports, usb header port.. and if you want to take system apart, then you literally have to take everything one by one. So unless you find cheap NH c14 and have skills to install without ruining something then you're good. Otherwise u9s is the easiest solution in terms of everything. I literally sold my Ncase because i scratched it too much and started disliking it. I might order a new one some time later, but dunno yet.

Also I found it really hard to fit AIO shield in my Ncase, the one from asrock just kept popping in. Other cases used to clamp them down, but mine just felt like squashed and not proportional.

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Sep 28, 2018
I think I am going with a U9s or the L9 , I guess I should have looked at the cooling result for those two next then. I am still rather confused about fans config on which one of the fans slot should I go for push or pull

dorall

Trash Compacter
Oct 2, 2018
Literally, rear fan should be exhaust. You can put big non slim noctua 92mm fan there. If you install u9l version there might be no space for rear fan if you put 2fans on that heatsink. I think there are black noctua fans now, they look better than beige ones. Bottom fans should be 120mm non slim, you will have to squeeze usb 3.0 header a bit but it will fit perfectly, they're placed as intake. And lastly there is side panel with mountings and magnetic dust filter.. as far as i remember if you mount u9 then you can only mount one fan on that panel on the right side, left side should be empty bc heatsink sticks out a bit, 120mm is perfect as intake.

dorall

Trash Compacter
Oct 2, 2018
You don't have too much of a choice. U9S is a good choice, just a reminder that the side panel will mount only one fan with this cooler. Also if you want to mount rear fan then either way mount rear or put second fan on a cooler's back.