Nanook's build log (9900K / Asrock Z390 / RTX 2080Ti)

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Update 2019-05-15
Went to the Dancase A4-SFX to see if I can tame the 9900k with a Black Ridge. Short answer is yes... but giving up so much of the amazing potential of the 9900K. ( link here)

Update 2019-04-04
Shifted my build to the SM550 for a week (link here), before moving it all to a “giant” ITX case: Phantek’s Metallic Gear Neo ITX. Posts here.

Update 2018-12-17
I have since moved this build back into my original SFF case, the NCase M1. Posts here.
I really like the S1. I love the flexibility of the top hats (albeit a little fussy to use), and the gorgeously machined aluminum extrusions which get transformed into the signature Louqe slide-in case panels.

However, with my set of components, mainly the hot 9900k, and loud reference Founders Edition 2080, I needed more cooling capability for both components, and the M1 was able to provide better cooling for them.

Original post below:

Moved my main pc into the Louqe Ghost S1.
i9-9900K
Strix Z390i
Noctua NH-L12 with A12x25 fan
Crucial 32gb kit (DDR4 - 2666 VLP EUDIMM)
RTX 2080 FE
Noctua A12x25 bottom intake fan
Corsair SF 600 Platinum

Needed VLP ram to fit the excellent A12x25 fan:

Perfect fit @ 66mm

• CPU no overclocking (95w limit) = 60c during Prime95 small FFT torture.
  • CPU @ 150w power limit = 78c during Prime 95 small FFT torture.
  • GPU no overclocking = 65c during Heaven torture with 78% fan speed

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Hello.

Nice build.

Did you remove the heatsink and the i/o shield of the motherboard?

Bye,
Rander.
Yes! Thanks for noticing! I totally forgot to mention that point, as it was critical to getting the NH-L12 to seat properly on the 9900K. The large motherboard heatsink by the fixed I/O shield was interfering with the NH-L12, while the smaller heatsink “above” the CPU socket (or below the socket, due to reverse motherboard layout of the Ghost S1) was removed as well — the NH-L12 heat pipes were pressing against the small heatsink, and I didn’t want to risk the added pressure on the motherboard.

To make up for the lack of motherboard VRM heatsinks, I slightly turned up the minimal fan rpm on the A12x25 under the NH-L12 to keep air moving over the motherboard. I hope that is enough. If my Z390i breaks, maybe I could pick up the ASRock Z390 Phantom instead :p

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
strange that you get the same temps with that aircooler that this guys gets with a 240mm AIO.
Yes, my temps are not that different from my previous setup with a 240mm AIO in the Cerberus.

I ran my CPU and motherboard at Intel stock settings to keep 95w.
For my 150w power draw test, it was done via Intel XTU.

I just watched Ali’s video, and he ran his 9900K at 4.7ghz, while mine was at 4.3ghz.

My top hat add on kits should be arriving soon. I ordered S,M,L, two of each size, as well as a nickel plated top cover. I might try to install a 240mm AIO to open up the 9900K. However I really like the compact size without any top hats attached. :)

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
@3lfk1ng got impressive results adding 2 x 25mm exhaust fans, are you going to try this setup too?
Yes even thought top panel is vented, the top still traps some heat. Interestingly it’s warmer above the PSU than above the CPU. I believe the tophat with 2x exhaust will help tremendously with GPU noise/ temperatures. I’ll probably test two A12x15 with the S tophat as well as two NF-P12 1700rpm fans with M tophat.

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer

jest

Case Bender
Nov 4, 2018
Oh my . I don't wanna remove my heatsink (z390i)
I'd better look for another cooler. Can nh-l9x65 be mounted?
Your build has helped me.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Oh my . I don't wanna remove my heatsink (z390i)
I'd better look for another cooler. Can nh-l9x65 be mounted?
Your build has helped me.
I believe the 65mm tall L9 should fit.

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
I’ll check... however I don’t think the top hat kits come with extra base plates, since the added fans / radiators are mounted directly to the plates (bottom plate, and top mounting plate) that came with the case. In the setup on my first post, I didn’t use the top mounting plate.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Added top and bottom A12x15mm slim fans. Four total. Bottom intake. Top exhaust.

I really like the balanced look.

To be honest, adding the four slim fans did not change too much in terms of temperature. CPU still locked at 150watts power limit. During Turbo Boost (210watts), I extended boost time window (PL1) to 96 seconds, and took some temperature readings at three levels: Intel stock 95w, 150w, and 210w.

9900K, MCE on, running Prime95 small FFT, all fans at 100%
  • 210w power limit (4.5ghz)— 89c
  • 150w power limit (4.3ghz)— 78c
  • 95w power limit (3.6ghz) — 65c, not sure why it’s higher than with top hats.
RTX 2080 FE running Heaven (default extreme), GPU fans at 70% — 64c

I'll try out the 25mm thick fans with M tophats tomorrow.

Last edited:

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
Helpfull tests, thanks.
Youre case and tophats are looking well finished. Lucky you ;).

Don`t you think about liquid cooling the 9900k to have all the power availlable?
Yes I was pretty lucky, as the shopping box was very damaged, but the Louqe box and its contents are ok. There are some minor cosmetic nicks on the edges of front and side case panels. They seem to show up worse on the black anodized finish.

The longer pieces of the tophat that run along the length of the case do bow in when I tighten them too much (same observation as @optimumtech )

I might try a 240mm AIO later to open up the 9900K.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
Original poster
May 23, 2016
That`s because the way how it is constructed. But if it holds the frame together with the screws not tight up to strong, it`s all okay.
If not, we will find a solution. (fixing it with loctite or use this typ of screws an drill a centring hole)

If one day the stars stay all together in a perfect constelation, I will receive a undamaged, ingenious Ghost in limestone with two tophatpacks as well. Until then, I only can guess how to solve this kind of problems.:D
IMO, the bowing in of the length of the tophat is a design problem. The screws are flat bottomed and when they’re pressing against the slight angled face of the “tongue” that fits in the groove of the shorter strips. Loosening the screws straightens the long strips.

I hope you get yours soon :)