N173HHE-G32 control board?? Does one exist?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Ganelon, Aug 3, 2018.

1. Ganelon

Ganelon Trash Compacter

Hi all,

I'm looking to build my own portable monitor case to take to LANs. What I want is simple- a 17-inch, 120hz 1080p display. The problem is, I've been looking and looking and NONE of them seem to have extant control boards. I can only assume the high-end laptop space has moved on to embedding the LCD controller into the mainboard, but surely, SURELY there exists a control board out there that can drive them? Any of them?

For example, the N173HHE-G32. An extremely popular and common 17-inch 120hz display. I can't find any info that can lead me to a control board I can be sure works. Same story with every other display I've looked at.

Would it be possible to, like, cannibalise a dead gaming laptop and rip apart its motherboard leaving only the display-driving components? Somehow, I seriously doubt it. But I know next to nothing about this stuff.

Please, someone give me a hand.

2. Ganelon

Ganelon Trash Compacter

3. thewizzard1

thewizzard1 Cable-Tie Ninja
    Bronze Supporter

I've built a handful of custom LCDs using made-in-China display controllers, and *no* supplier would confirm with me if a 120/144Hz display controller would work. I have a 17" 3D panel I'm hoping to give a home to, myself.

4. Ganelon

Ganelon Trash Compacter

Is there any way to know? I would honestly just buy it and try it, but the display is about £70 so even though the control card is cheap, if it doesn't work I'm stuck with a panel I can't use.

That product page DOES claim to support 1080p/144Hz. The question is whether it will work on my panel. They're both 40-pin EPS...

5. Choidebu

Choidebu King of Cable Management

thewizzard1 likes this.
  6. Ganelon

Ganelon Trash Compacter

#6 Ganelon, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
    Alright, what about these ones?

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/2K-QHD-2560-1600-resolution-LCD_60537553302.html

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/QHD-2K-2560x1600-LCD-PIP-POP_60086087916.html

I understand that it's still not a sure thing but it doesn't look glaringly incompatible does it?

Edit: there's also this one, made for higher resolutions... I could go up to a 1440p display, like a B173QTN01.4 maybe

https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/4K-x-2K-UHD-Single-Chip_1586842462.html

7. Valantar

Valantar Cable-Tie Ninja

Specs if you scroll down a bit say "QHD @60HZ / FHD 144HZ".

Same here: "QHD @60HZ / FHD 144HZ"
    This one supports "4K2K/QHD144HZ".

Also, pretty cool that all of these support FreeSync. Haven't seen that before. None of them mention FreeSync range, but that might be panel dependent.

8. TheBeezKneez

TheBeezKneez What's an ITX?

Just curious, since I may be in the same market. Were you able to find a 120hz panel and compatible controller? Any guidelines to follow to ensure compatibility? It seems like a few companies make generic LCD panel controllers with tons of inputs, so narrowing it down to a small one that supports a 120-144hz display is proving to be a challenge.

9. Ganelon

Ganelon Trash Compacter

I didn't have any luck identifying one with absolute certainty, however; allegedly-compatible combinations do exist. The trick is just to find one that's as new as possible with as many high-bandwidth outputs as possible: if a control board has three DisplayPort ports on it, you can safely assume it's built to handle those resolutions/framerates, though there's always a chance it won't work with a particular panel. Also, you can occasionally find a panel with a control board already attached. This project is on the backburner currently so I don't have any links to share right now.

TheBeezKneez likes this.
  10. yutonghuang99

yutonghuang99 What's an ITX?

#11 yutonghuang99, Mar 17, 2019 at 1:52 AM
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2019 at 2:34 AM
    Ganelon likes this.