Concept My personal one-off custom case project

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
I wanted to make a personal few-compromise desktop out of an old ATX tower we had in the basement.

I just took it apart, cut it down and reassembled part of it:

So the motherboard is going to be ATX and I want it to fit a full size GPU.
The approximate length and height are both 13.5'' and 8'' wide.

I've got a few options for the PSU. I could ether mount it to the back of the case above the I/O and CPU or I could mount it to the opposite side of from the I/O where it would only be over the 24 pin connector and maybe RAM which would allow for tower style CPU cooler.

Biggest challenge is trying to replace the front panel of the case. I've never tried anything like this so IDK what to make that front panel out of where it will cover all the metal I sawed off. Sade panels will be easy though, I will just cut down the original sides and bolt them back on.

I really hope tinkering with this pays off because nobody I know sells SFF ATX cases with this kind of compact layout, but I'm new to case modding so I don't know.

JosephEK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Wow that case looks awesome.

265 dollars though? Damn. That's more than double what I spent on my new desk. That's like my budget for upgrading to a 6 core CPU.

If I can spend less than an eighth of that (33 dollars) on my case then I will deem it a success.