My modded iPad display.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Well done ! I have had a few iPads, their screens are very good. If I ever find a use for a secondary screen of that size, I hope I can easily find a screen, a case with VESA-100 mounting and the board to power it.

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 26, 2017
you might want to get some of that solidifying putty to secure that board I don't see that double sided tape doing too well if you move a lot
So I forgot to mention in the build log, but I actually used some of that between the control board the the back of the display. I originally had it underneath the board but it added too much height. The thing isn't going anywhere now :)

Reactions: Biowarejak

Craiga35

Trash Compacter
Dec 17, 2017
I realize this thread is a few months old at this point but since it's already been bumped, anyone know if there's a way to wire up the iPad's home button as the power switch for the monitor? That would be really elegant.

Craiga35

Trash Compacter
Dec 17, 2017
@Craiga35 I don't think that'd be possible. I don't really remember the home button construction, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be easy to work with.

While I'm not entirely familiar with their power buttons either I would imagine their earlier buttons (without touch id implemented) were just plastic facades with an off the shelf microswitch soldered onto the logic board behind it. So I was thinking rip out the microswitch that's there and replace it with one of a similar size and solder that into the controller box for the LCD. The only issue would be mounting it solidly behind the plastic button facade that's on the ipad.

Is it practical? Probably not, but it would be cool if someone took the time to do so.

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Feb 26, 2017
While I'm not entirely familiar with their power buttons either I would imagine their earlier buttons (without touch id implemented) were just plastic facades with an off the shelf microswitch soldered onto the logic board behind it. So I was thinking rip out the microswitch that's there and replace it with one of a similar size and solder that into the controller box for the LCD. The only issue would be mounting it solidly behind the plastic button facade that's on the ipad.

Is it practical? Probably not, but it would be cool if someone took the time to do so.
If I had the time, patience, and knowledge, there are a lot of things I'd change about my mod. I'd like to break off the DP input and USB power input and relocate them to where the iPad's original power input was. I couldn't do this mainly because of the display's ribbon cable being so short in length. I'd also like to do as you suggested with the power switch, but use the iPad's power button on the top. And finally, I would have loved to keep the batteries in the iPad and use them to power the monitor without having to have it be plugged in.

Reactions: Mtthwmths

Tailpipe1

What's an ITX?
Jun 11, 2018
Old thread I know but I am having an issue and was wondering if anyone has had this problem before, everything is seated correctly and it gets better or worse depending on the color setting in the nvidia control panel

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
Have you got another display you can test w/?