confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Well, it looks like SFF has hit the mainstream – even the big hardware makers are pre-building SFF systems for you! MSI has just launched their new system, the Nightblade MI.

Read more here..

rawr

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 1, 2015
Pre-built SFF has been a thing before - take the Asrock M8. Although I admit that this is certainly a bit smaller.

inb4 comparisons to A4.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
The puny CPU cooler (sink & fan) worries me, the space could have been used better in general.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
From the rear we see that the system is powered by a Flex-ATX style power supply (350w Bronze rated). It also looks like a custom motherboard has been developed for this system. It’ll be interesting to see deeper inside this computer.

That PSU is NOT FlexATX, it is 1U! FlexATX is ~80mm wide, 1U ~100. FlexATX wouldn't fit a 40mm fan, C14 inlet and a toggle switch on the back. You might want to correct that in the article. The Hadron used a 1U PSU as well.

I think it is funny how MSI goes full berserk on custom components like the CPU cooler, the riser (which seems to be of custom height) and mainboard to get down to 10L while they could've easily done that with regular components. They even used a tray-loading ODD with a custom faceplate instead of going for a slot-loader, couldn't tell you why.

Also, wasn't the name already confirmed to be M1? Did they change that or did we just overreact upon the name so similar to the NCASE M1?

Didn't know that this was going to be a pre-built system, either, I thought it would be a case. Maybe they didn't want bad reviews or feedback from people complaining about insufficient component support.

That was indeed an extremely cool build, but I think people will be less angry about a major company getting ideas from a one-off build than getting ideas from an independent competitor.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I think it is funny how MSI goes full berserk on custom components like the CPU cooler, the riser (which seems to be of custom height) and mainboard to get down to 10L while they could've easily done that with regular components. They even used a tray-loading ODD with a custom faceplate instead of going for a slot-loader, couldn't tell you why.
This a thousand times. It's noteworthy that a large component manufacturer does build a compact gaming chassis, but indeed: why make it so incredibly proprietary and inefficiently ? Apparently the main designer is not someone who has ever done some research into SFF.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
To be honest, its hard to tell flex atx and 1u apart just from a small picture. And yes, I have seen (and owned) flex atx power supplies with the fan on the back! You're probably right though, will correct the article soon.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
lol, it doesnt matter, flexATX and 1u both scream like a dying cat w/ a broken jaw being mounted from behind by a rhino

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I didn't hear the rhino part the last time I checked the 1U PSUs, but I did hear the cat !
But yeah, the biggest problem with these PSUs is the lack of silent cooling. That's why they are used in server environments, nobody cares about silence, just effiency.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Didn't people silence the Hadron PSU very effectively by using the Noctua 40mm fan?

To be honest, its hard to tell flex atx and 1u apart just from a small picture. And yes, I have seen (and owned) flex atx power supplies with the fan on the back! You're probably right though, will correct the article soon.

Yes, mine has the fan on the back aswell, but the additional power switch wouldn't fit there.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
That's true.

Not sure if the Noctua 40mm fan is a good idea - without temp probes in the PSU it's difficult to really ensure that the PSU is within temperature range

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Fan swaps on PSUs are mostly about silencing the fans, disregarding adequate cooling for the PSU itself. I've seen more than a few people (including myself) mentioning unstable ST45SF-G PSUs after doing the NoiseBlocker fan swap. With a severely reduced airflow, you are lowering it's limits at which it can operate stably.

If the Noctua is quieter because of lower RPM, that will also mean lower static pressure and/or airflow. If the PSU is massively over-calculated, this won't be a problem. Otherwise it will be.

WiSK

Water Cooling Optimizer
May 10, 2015
What you say is true Phuncz. Too many times in discussions about fans people aren't interested in how come one fan is quieter than another, RPM v voltage curve is too advanced a concept. Just stick in any old fan of the right size. It will work of course, you might not even notice any issue for months. Or the symptoms might seem to have another cause than the PSU.

But I'm surprised that you mention ST45SF-G fan swap. One of mine is still going strong in a folding@home machine since Jan '13. Anecdote I know, maybe I am lucky, or maybe I will come home today and find it has died.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
My ST45SF-G also had a dense fan filter attached and with the i5-4670K + R9 290X combo I'm still running now. I was stable, until the ambient temp rose or the load went too high. I've only had a few crashes, but it was enough to recognize what was going on.