motherboards

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
So long as your motherboard is no larger than 226mm tall and 173mm wide, it will go straight into the M1 without making any changes. (Necere's Post on [H])

Mini DTX is about 190 x 173mm , i.e. Mini ITX with 1 extra PCI slot below where the ITX one is

I believe you can go a bit wider if you move your SFX PSU to the front of the case into the ATX mount with an ATX to SFX adaptor plate.
Sadly, I cannot test this as my used M1 came without the ATX PSU mount and some of the other accessories.

Reactions: johnsolar

johnsolar

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
So long as your motherboard is no larger than 226mm tall and 173mm wide, it will go straight into the M1 without making any changes. (Necere's Post on [H])

Mini DTX is about 190 x 173mm , i.e. Mini ITX with 1 extra PCI slot below where the ITX one is

I believe you can go a bit wider if you move your SFX PSU to the front of the case into the ATX mount with an ATX to SFX adaptor plate.
Sadly, I cannot test this as my used M1 came without the ATX PSU mount and some of the other accessories.
M

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
You're welcome.
Good luck with investigating interesting motherboard options. There is a thread over on [H] discussing 3 slot boards in an M1; it's been running a while.

I did like the ASRock H110M-HDV R3.0 , which gives you a 1x slot in position 1, and room for a 2 slot GPU in the 16x slot below, there's a H310CM-HDV which is similar for Gen 8/9. I did consider the Asrock H310CM-HDV/M.2, but decided the 1x slot wasn't much use to me compared to having a 2x M.2 slots on the Strix H370i. This board is the same layout as the Asus Strix B360i and Z370i, with an M.2 on to and one underneath.
This is a great feature, as you can save SATA data cables and not fit a SATA power cable to your modular PSU.

Reactions: johnsolar

johnsolar

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
I found m dtx board installation on youtube by Optimum Tech allowing for 2 NVME drives on a daughter board, great for RAID 0 but $700 aud.........ouch

johnsolar

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 3, 2020
I have an Matx mobo on the shelf I could try, IF my case arrives with all this Corona virus business doesn't blow it.:mad: