Motherboard Choice for a Sleeper Build

pacflame

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
Hey everybody!

I have found an old Gold Seal portable tv (link to ebay page with the exact model) , and have decided to try and build a pc in it. (target specs: Zotac 2070 super mini, 16gb DDR4, Ryzen 7 3800X, HD Plex 400w AC-DC DC-DC combo). However, there is one huge problem, it cant fit a mini-itx motherboard in a regular orientation since it's dimensions are: L: 220mm, W: 165mm, H: 130mm.
So, I have a couple ideas on how to work around this, and the pros and cons with those ideas.

1. Orient the motherboard at an angle
Pros: Fits a mini itx motherboard without obvious modifications to the tv
Cons: Will need a custom i-o shield, won't work with all motherboards because of i-o, takes up a lot of space

2. 3d-print a bigger bottom piece
Pros: fits a mini-itx motherboard without modifications to the motherboard
Cons: Takes away from the original look of the tv

3. Have the motherboard poke out of the sides of the tv
Pros: Fits the motherboard with minimal modifications.
Cons: Motherboard sticking out of the tv

4. Use the DeskMini A300
Pros: Has most of the features that a mini itx motherboard has, fits with no modification to motherboard or tv
Cons: Needs a Bios mod to function with a non APU processor (I think)

I am stuck between these four options, I would love any recommendations on which to go with.

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
What about third variant, but orientation MB I/O to the side panel? Then you need flexible pcie riser for GPU (210mm long)

pacflame

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
What about third variant, but orientation MB I/O to the side panel? Then you need flexible pcie riser for GPU (210mm long)
That's a good idea, but I'm afraid that it will take away from the look of the tv. I will most likely do that if can't find a better idea. Thanks!

Vlad502

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 4, 2017
Even with 16:9 aspect ratio and no crt glass used still looks good (there is video, but idk how to link it here): Reddit post